U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 09:45 AM

13,676 posts, read 22,151,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Sadly, too many people were pushing the "tourist" aspect of a Peachtree Streetcar and wanted it on the Midtown/Downtown segments which already are next to existing MARTA rail.
Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Don't agree. Unless it was fully grade separated it would have been a waste of money. It would strangle an already congested area and not generate that much additional ridership.

I think there should be a serious look at a subway west from Lindberg. Maybe that's not justified with the cost, but it is a dense area in employment, population and shopping that is not served by the current rail system.
Oh, hell-to-the-naw...

Peachtree Road Trolley is exactly what that corridor needs. It would be excellent.

Start: Peachtree Pointe (new infill station) or Arts Center station
End: Brookhaven station

Old 08-06-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:

LRT along Peachtree (and the future Beltline) would intersect next to Piedmont.

This would be a prime transit point for the Peachtree Road Trolley.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:52 AM

5,478 posts, read 3,872,043 times
Quote:
That tunnel stub was designed before Buckhead really exploded. The center of Atlanta has shifted north. A Cobb County line would be better if it connected further north rather than going all the way to midtown.

MARTA and GDOT keep designing based on the Atlanta employment concentrations of 1970.
If the cost of tunneling could be overcome, MARTA could do a "Cross-Buckhead Line" in conjunction with a Northwest Line as follows:
  • NW Line: Arts Center to Cumberland (and points north) along I-75
  • CB Line: I-75/Northside Pkwy @ WPF --> Roswell Road --> Buckhead Station --> Lenox Station

Old 08-06-2019, 12:20 PM

23,536 posts, read 17,722,302 times
Quote:
That tunnel stub was designed before Buckhead really exploded. The center of Atlanta has shifted north. A Cobb County line would be better if it connected further north rather than going all the way to midtown.

MARTA and GDOT keep designing based on the Atlanta employment concentrations of 1970.
The I-75 corridor is more dense than the SFH neighborhoods between Lindbergh Center and I-75.
But a NW MARTA HRT extension is never going to happen. Focus on operating BRT and Express from a new CTC to Arts Center Station, using the HOV (future HOT) lanes and a new 15th St HOT lane bridge.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:03 PM
bu2

10,182 posts, read 6,532,696 times
Quote:
If the cost of tunneling could be overcome, MARTA could do a "Cross-Buckhead Line" in conjunction with a Northwest Line as follows:
  • NW Line: Arts Center to Cumberland (and points north) along I-75
  • CB Line: I-75/Northside Pkwy @ WPF --> Roswell Road --> Buckhead Station --> Lenox Station
I would have a cross-Buckhead line pick up more of Peachtree. From Buckhead Station--W. Wesley--Lindberg--Lindberg MARTA Station (or the alternative from W. Wesley--Lindberg/Peachtree Battle--Piedmont Hospital--Armor Yard.)

The amount of tunneling they have discussed on the Clifton Corridor indicates they don't think these costs are insurmountable. Now Peachtree Rd. could be a massive utility corridor that makes that a lot more expensive (I remember reading how Houston wanted to avoid a tunnel under Westheimer and Post Oak because it was a utility hub and the cost of relocating all those gas/water/sewer, etc. lines was prohibitive).

Atlanta's system doesn't serve several of the largest employment districts well-Cumberland/Galleria, Emory/CDC, West Buckhead and the more distant Alpharetta.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:07 PM
bu2

10,182 posts, read 6,532,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The I-75 corridor is more dense than the SFH neighborhoods between Lindbergh Center and I-75.
But a NW MARTA HRT extension is never going to happen. Focus on operating BRT and Express from a new CTC to Arts Center Station, using the HOV (future HOT) lanes and a new 15th St HOT lane bridge.
I-75 corridor is pretty much SFH until you get around West Paces Ferry where a cross-Buckhead line would intersect.

And the abandoned railroad yards could trigger a re-thinking of a NW line. Ready ROW for a good chunk of the distance.

Old 08-06-2019, 04:02 PM

5,478 posts, read 3,872,043 times
Quote:

Atlanta's system doesn't serve several of the largest employment districts well-Cumberland/Galleria, Emory/CDC, West Buckhead and the more distant Alpharetta.

All four areas probably would've been served by now if not for opposition by others:

• Cumberland: MARTA has continually been opposed by Cobb County since 1965
  • Emory/CDC: The Tucker-North DeKalb Line was opposed by Druid Hills residents and died by the late 90s. Planned to be served by Clifton Corridor
  • West Buckhead: Assuming I-75 corridor, see Cobb County issue
  • Alpharetta: Lack of demand until early 1990s, then shot down by North Fulton politicians who championed HB 930 (barring funding of heavy rail in future transit referendum) and now about to be blocked by impending construction of GDOT's 400 express lane project

Old 08-06-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
All four areas probably would've been served by now if not for opposition by others:

• Emory/CDC: The Tucker-North DeKalb Line was opposed by Druid Hills residents and died by the late 90s. Planned to be served by Clifton Corridor
  • Alpharetta: Lack of demand until early 1990s, then shot down by North Fulton politicians who championed HB 930 (barring funding of heavy rail in future transit referendum) and now about to be blocked by impending construction of GDOT's 400 express lane project

Exactly.

Old 08-07-2019, 08:27 AM

23,536 posts, read 17,722,302 times
Quote:
I-75 corridor is pretty much SFH until you get around West Paces Ferry where a cross-Buckhead line would intersect.

And the abandoned railroad yards could trigger a re-thinking of a NW line. Ready ROW for a good chunk of the distance.
Tillford Yard has already been sold for development of SFH.
Quote:

Literally all killed by upper middle class white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or