Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2019, 03:43 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,314,383 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Do you know of parks / places in Forsyth county where we can rollerblade (inline skate) ?
Looks like Fowler park has a skate area, I was looking for more of a trail - are there limited options around here ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 08:32 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,984,748 times
That's an interesting question. You know, there are many multi-use trails in nearby Gwinnett county and Fulton county, which may be convenient depending upon where you are in Forsyth. Your county may also have its own, I don't know. The reason I say it's interesting is because while I see people running, riding bikes, kids on scooters, etc... I never see people on inline skates. I don't know whether that's because there's something about these trails that is not conducive to it, or if it's just not very popular these days.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:14 PM

13,976 posts, read 25,850,746 times
I've seen inline skaters on the Greenway in Alpharetta, usually early in the morning, but I too have noticed it has seemed to have dropped off the popularity charts.

The Forsyth section of the Greenway has a lot more boardwalk than you find in Alpharetta and Roswell, but parts of it are paved and would be fine for skating.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:43 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,894,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Hi,
Do you know of parks / places in Forsyth county where we can rollerblade (inline skate) ?
Looks like Fowler park has a skate area, I was looking for more of a trail - are there limited options around here ?

Not many

When I lived out there I used to have to drive down to Roswell and skate along the river trail

Old 08-08-2019, 08:49 AM

Thanks for the responses - So much for dusting off the blades after a decade !!

I did go to a local park where there is a concrete trail - but all wheels are restricted (bicycles, rollerblades, skateboards etc).
Restricted means prohibited ?? Just making sure.

I will check the Greenway off Alpharetta.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:26 PM

2,278 posts, read 3,015,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Hi,
What kind of skating are you doing? Aggressive (ramps, tricks, etc), or speed/distance type skating (paths, curves, hills, etc.).

For the former, there are a couple of skate parks scattered around the north metro... don't know of anything in Forsyth Co, though.
For the latter, your best bet are paved paths at parks (which are a crap shoot).

Old 08-09-2019, 06:16 AM

6,705 posts, read 6,410,407 times
There are two different Greenway sections. One in Alpharetta and one in Forsyth. There were plans to connect them, but not sure if that ever happened? I've been gone for a few years. Anyway, you can inline skate both. I used to skate the Big Creek Greenway in Forsyth all the time. It can be challenging, some hills around Fowler park. The other problem is getting to the trail with your skates. The access point at McFarland had a long gravel trail from parking lot to trail so you need to carry skates, not convenient! Union Hill parking is better, you can skate from car to trail. Can't remember the access situation from Fowler park or Bethelview, but they are worth a look if close to you. The boardwalk sections aren't bad, the planks are pretty tight so not a problem skating them, but a little noisy.

Keep in mind that these trails can easily flood after rain so check status before heading out.

Here's the main Forsyth site > https://parks.forsythco.com/Parks-an...Creek-Greenway

and maps of both here > Maps of the Big Creek Greenway

Happy Skating!

Last edited by flamadiddle; 08-09-2019 at 06:28 AM..

Old 08-09-2019, 08:50 AM

6,705 posts, read 6,410,407 times
found a youtube video of the trail, right at the beginning is the gravel entry trail I mentioned at McFarland trail head. >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y_e2CVTef4

Old 08-09-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
found a youtube video of the trail, right at the beginning is the gravel entry trail I mentioned at McFarland trail head. >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y_e2CVTef4
TYVM.
I actually went there yesterday to take a look... I entered from the Fowler park entrance....
Its beautiful - the greenway I mean !!

Going south from Fowler is mostly boardwalk with little concrete - going up north you have around a mile of concrete before it ends in the road and then there is a mix of boardwalk and concrete.

I think personally it might be a bit of a challenge to do the boardwalk as I'm not an expert skater

Ps: Nice video !!

Old 08-09-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
What kind of skating are you doing? Aggressive (ramps, tricks, etc), or speed/distance type skating (paths, curves, hills, etc.).

For the former, there are a couple of skate parks scattered around the north metro... don't know of anything in Forsyth Co, though.
For the latter, your best bet are paved paths at parks (which are a crap shoot).
Not Aggressive at all - just recreational - burn some calories having a fun workout.

Fowler park has a skating rink - but I did not see one person doing inline - apparently its a thing of the past.. mostly skateboards. (btw: I am gen X).

I think you are right - the more I think of it the parks with paved roads should allow for it as long as its "restricted" to the paved roads.

Hey, atleast I do not have to think about the "Silver Comet" yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta