U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 08:33 AM

232 posts, read 99,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbianco467 View Post
is there a drive in movie near and a skating ring? I'm looking to move there from yuma arizona
No drive-in nearby. Closest is 45 minutes+ to SE Atlanta to the Starlight, or 90 minutes+ to either Tiger or Blue Ridge in north Georgia.

There's an ice skating rink in Duluth; the Ice Forum on Satellite Blvd.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2020, 08:56 AM

232 posts, read 99,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi all, I have a job offer which will be located in Duluth GA. Career wise it's likely the right move, about a 20% bump up in salary to around 100K. I'm a single 26 year old guy who's been in Colorado between Colorado Springs and Denver my whole life. On one hand it would be exciting to see something new; Atlanta appears to have a lot of outdoor options, weather looks good (I like summer and humidity), the city metrics look good in this area between safety, COL, politics... Also it looks like Atlanta would have a significantly better dating scene than Denver or COS just in regards to M:F ratio for young guys. Duluth looks interesting, the restaurant choices look neat, the area looks clean, though a little bit suburbiaish. Is Duluth a decent spot for a younger person? I'm not looking for a downtown party scene, but I wouldn't necessarily want to live somewhere like Woodland Park CO where it's a predominantly older / retiree destination.

On the other hand though one of my issues with Denver was how big the city was, I like COS's size better and the quicker ability to get outside. Atlanta traffic really does scare me. How bad is traffic going from NE Atlanta out into the public land / forests / open space, going further north or to the east? Is the traffic mostly going into / around the city or is it all over the Atlanta area that it gets clogged?
Duluth has pretty good access to the outdoors (caveat being that I don't think any other metro area in the country rivals Denver/the front range for that).

As far as the rest, despite what others seem to think, the suburbs of Atlanta are not your parents' suburbs any more.

Case in point - Good Word Brewing in downtown Duluth was just named one of the top 10 brewpubs in the country (that's country - the entire US of A).

There is a reasonably sizable 20 something crowd.

That said, if I may be unpolitically correct for a moment, the suburb/city divide does still exist; it's just that less than being an age thing now, it's a socio-economic thing.

If I may make assumptions based on your age and income, I'm guessing you're college educated and working in a white collar/professional field of some sort.

The 20 somethings you'll meet in Atlanta (in the city) are (generally) more likely to be college educated, white collar, higher income. The 20 something's you'll meet in the suburbs are less likely to be college educated, white collar, higher income.

If that matters to you, it's worth keeping in mind.

As to racial demographics again generally, the suburbs nowadays are MUCH less homogeneous than they once were. I laugh when anyone living in close in Atlanta (ITP being the common vernacular - "Inside the Perimeter" vs OTP - "Outside the Perimeter") gets high and mighty about diversity, because Gwinnett County is more diverse by basically any metric than the gentrified parts of Atlanta are now.

Maybe that matters, maybe it doesn't, but again it's worth being at least aware of.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta