U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:33 PM

3,706 posts, read 8,883,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
Yes - it can get cold from mid-December to mid-February. That is called winter. Without it we would not have Four Season Weather.
Atlanta is one of the climates where I actually prefer the winter months over summer.

Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM

1,220 posts, read 551,576 times
It’s affordable with a strong job market. There are plenty of family-oriented activities along with stuff to do for single twenty-somethings.

Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM

3,716 posts, read 1,268,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedude404 View Post
I would have to disagree with the "great 4 season weather". While the stats list off the averages being in the mid 50's, I personally do not like the roughly mid December to mid February period as it does get cold during that time period. And the summer's are a steam bath generally speaking. Hardly ideal. Then again, it is really hard to find what I would consider a place in the United States with ideal year around temps. That would probably be coastal California.

On the other hand, Fall, is awesome in Atlanta. In fact I'd probably say October is my favorite month of all to be in Atlanta. Just my personal preferences. And I suppose I can deal with approximately a two month time period in the winter when the weather isnt to my particular taste. I will take the steam bath summers instead of 2 feet of snow and zero degree days that other places get for their winter anytime.

I havent lived in many places (5 to be exact) so I really dont have much to compare it with. But overall Atlanta itself is a pretty good place to live. Judging by the number of people coming here and the housing prices getting out of control (another negative) I guess a lot of others feel the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I couldn't agree more. Atlanta has 11 horrible months made up of too cold, too hot and WAY TOO humid, and pollen. Then we get October, which is great, and sometimes bleeds over into November, when we're lucky!

Also agree California is one of the only places that offers a better climate. The entire eastern seaboard pretty much has miserable summers, but with much longer winters. I actually prefer Florida to Georgia because I don't find the heat and humidity there to be any different. Sure, you put up with it a tad longer... but you get 4 or 5 gorgeous months in the winter, instead of the one nice month we get.

And this is a good thing because segregation is.... good???
I guess you both never lived in a truly "cold" place.

Us folks from places like Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, NYC, etc. consider Atlanta's winters to be a steam bath.

Old Today, 08:19 AM

481 posts, read 168,935 times
People complaining about Atlanta’s “cold” don’t know what “cold” really is.

If you’ve only lived in or visited places where you only need summer or “all season “ tires and/or where every building has AC during the winter and early spring then you don’t know real cold and wouldn’t understand why someone from Michigan or Kansas for example may think our winters are mild/warm and love it.

Old Today, 08:30 AM

Also, I understand it gets hot and humid here but Atlanta isn’t anywhere near the worst for that either. Do y’all know about half of south doesn’t even have 4 seasons like Atlanta?

Atlanta benefits for being at a relatively high altitude compared to many other southern cities and away from water. “Hotlanta “ really ain’t that hot honestly.

I grew up on the gulf coast where the air is so moist you can drown in it and the heat index is over 10 degrees the real temperature and I didn’t even know what 4 seasons were until I moved.

Atlanta summers are a breeze compared to large parts of Southern U.S. - even just a few hours south in Georgia.

Last edited by Otakumaster; Today at 08:39 AM..

Old Today, 08:52 AM

8,396 posts, read 10,350,907 times
Quote:
Do y’all know about half of south doesn’t even have 4 seasons like Atlanta?
Maybe the coastal south doesn't have 4 seasons, but everywhere else does. Nashville, Birmingham, Charlotte... all have 4 seasons. I imagine most of Arkansas, Kentucky, etc. do as well.

Old Today, 08:59 AM

3,716 posts, read 1,268,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
Also, I understand it gets hot and humid here but Atlanta isn’t anywhere in worst of that either.

Atlanta benefits for being at a relatively high altitude compared to many other southern cities away from water.

I grew up on the gulf coast where the air is so moist you can drown in it and the heat index is over 10 degrees the real temperature.

Atlanta summers are breeze compared to large parts of Southern U.S. - even just a few hours south in Georgia.
Good point.

If you want some real summer heat, spend some time in Houston, or even south of the fall line in Georgia.

EDIT: I will add a caveat though. While Atlanta may not get the most extreme heat and/or humidity in the country, when it comes to the persistence of the high heat/humidity in general, Atlanta is still hotter than 80% of the rest of the country.

Last edited by citidata18; Today at 09:35 AM..

Old Today, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Maybe the coastal south doesn't have 4 seasons, but everywhere else does. Nashville, Birmingham, Charlotte... all have 4 seasons. I imagine most of Arkansas, Kentucky, etc. do as well.
Which is why I said half....

The seasons blend once you get close to Macon’s Latitude.

It’s not exactly half of the landmass but it’s a huge amount because it pretty much includes all of FL, and Louisiana nearly all of Texas, half of Mississippi , Alabama, Georgia.

My overall point is ATL’s climate is relatively mild when it comes to extremes. Some southern cities are cooler and others are way hotter.

Old Today, 11:05 AM

8,396 posts, read 10,350,907 times
I get what you're saying, but I disagree with your general point because while SOME of these areas are hotter than us in the summer, MOST are within a few degrees.

Of the ones that are significantly hotter... let's say below the frost line in Florida... maybe they can be a few degrees warmer on a summer day. But looking at the reverse, Atlanta will frequently be 20 or 30 degrees COOLER than they are during the winter months. So they get to enjoy that benefit while only having to give up a small amount in the summer.

And if you break it down and look at temps, many of these places are really not significantly hotter than Atlanta in the summer. They may not have 4 seasons. But that's fine, because as far as I'm concerned, you can have winter.

Just as a quick example, here are forecast high temps for today:

Atlanta - 91
Houston - 99 (ok, that's really hot!)
New Orleans - 92
Dallas - 102 (yuck, Texas sucks)
Macon - 96
Mobile - 93
Jacksonville - 95
Orlando - 92 (just one degree warmer)
Tampa - 89 (yes, it's actually COOLER in Tampa)
Miami - 90 (cooler in Miami, too, how 'bout that?)

Old Today, 11:17 AM

5,173 posts, read 3,355,299 times
Definitely like the four seasons thing.
Winter and summer are each about 5.75 months long.
Spring and fall are each about a week long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or