Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 09:43 AM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Well, I can easily say that in my expenses database in which I track ever cent that comes out of my bank account, the total costs for 2018 in the auto-related section came to $12,902.13 for two cars (although my wife paid for some of the expenses for her car). Even if that as it divided by two cars, that could be about $6,450 per vehicle in out-of-pocket expenses. That's the equivalent of 5.5 monthly MARTApasses each month per year.

Broken down per day, that's $17.67 per vehicle per day. Note that my car has been paid off for five years, so I'm not even including the cost of the car itself.

So, are you telling me it costs more than that to take public transportation?? And no, you have never given those numbers.

But, to answer your question...even if Uber picked me up for free and dropped me off at the nearest MARAT station, then picked me up at the destination MARTA station and dropped me off at work, I would still drive. The time savings alone would be worth it, since i don't think the Uber-MARTA-Uber trip could be done in less than 40 minutes which is a BAD rush hour trip for me.
For me it's not so much about the money. I just need to get up and go when I need to be somewhere, and to be able to go directly, and to carry what I need to carry to and from.

ETA: I also like being able to vary my route, run errands, and so forth. You gotta love that freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 01:31 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
I can't imagine wanting to trade in my freedom to go places without parking, not get stuck in traffic, or be able to adjust modes mid-trip. Traveling around by a car you own you are chained to it. You have to take it with you for every leg of your trip. You cannot change it up mid trip to a bike when you realize how great the weather is out, or to an SUV when you need extra hauling capacity, or maybe you see traffic is really bad so you hop on the train. Or heck, maybe you just want to have a few drinks with friends. Not things you can pivot and have the freedom to just decide to do mid trip if you are driving your car. If you get rid of your car you can Walk / Uber / MARTA / Bike / Scooter for each leg of your trip as is best for that trip. Even switch modes mid-trip. That is real freedom.

But to each his own. I am glad y'all have the option to pay extra to drive yourself. Don't think anyone is trying to take that choice away from you.

But not everyone is willing or able to pay those costs nor is driving themselves the best option (or even a possibility) for everyone. That is why we got to support higher capacity and more affordable alternatives, that means getting dedicated right-of-way for those options.

Last edited by jsvh; 08-26-2019 at 01:46 PM..

Old 08-26-2019, 07:32 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
I can't imagine wanting to trade in my freedom to go places without parking, not get stuck in traffic, or be able to adjust modes mid-trip. Traveling around by a car you own you are chained to it. You have to take it with you for every leg of your trip. You cannot change it up mid trip to a bike when you realize how great the weather is out, or to an SUV when you need extra hauling capacity, or maybe you see traffic is really bad so you hop on the train. Or heck, maybe you just want to have a few drinks with friends. Not things you can pivot and have the freedom to just decide to do mid trip if you are driving your car. If you get rid of your car you can Walk / Uber / MARTA / Bike / Scooter for each leg of your trip as is best for that trip. Even switch modes mid-trip. That is real freedom.
I think everything you said might cover, at most, five times a year. I feel plenty of freedom to do almost anything. But you are right, I can't suddenly find myself out drinking with friends on the way back from playing disc golf with my seven year old, so I guess that is a real freedom-sucker.

I dunno...it kind of sounds like someone saying "Man, in prison you get three meals a day, workout areas, play courts, a shower, and you don't have to pay anything...that's real freedom!"

There are two ways to look at it: freedom to switch it up, if that's something that you actually do frequently, or freedom to go literally anywhere in the metro (or country), any time, on your own schedule, and your own route, and usually much faster. Pick one. I did. You did. We're all happy.

Quote:
But not everyone is willing or able to pay those costs nor is driving themselves the best option (or even a possibility) for everyone. That is why we got to support higher capacity and more affordable alternatives, that means getting dedicated right-of-way for those options.
Yep...in some core areas on some select routes, we do!

Last edited by samiwas1; 08-26-2019 at 07:44 PM..

Old 08-26-2019, 08:38 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Maybe "five times a year" for you. But there are people out there who cannot drive at all. So by not owning a car you have freedom to switch modes and can go anywhere in the metro (and the world) including places without parking.

But as long as you agree with shifting some of the right-of-way away towards other users we are on the same page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta