U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 11:27 PM

4,564 posts, read 4,141,000 times

Advertisements

Cute idea, OP, but a little too juvenile to be taken seriously. Teddy bears? Really?

Here's the problem I see with scooters:

1. They are inherently unstable. Being that close to the ground makes the scooter far more susceptible to bumps/grates/holes in the road. It might not matter so much on a sidewalk, but they aren't allowed on sidewalks -- therefore, they are riding on the side of the road, which any cyclist can tell you is the pits with trash, uneven pavement, broken road edge, broken curb pieces, etc., etc.

2. If you are in a car, the relative speed of car to scooter makes it harder to see them at night, at least, not in time to react appropriately.

3. Responsible cyclists wear appropriate safety gear. Scooter riders don't. Yet they are riding on the same streets, at approximately the same speeds.

4. Scooter riders tend to think of themselves as pedestrians and act as such. But they aren't. Pedestrians weaving in the street would have cops called on them for fear they are under the influence and danger to themselves. But on a scooter, that same behavior is seen as appropriate. Why?

5. Safety lighting on scooters are ABYSMAL. They are so ineffective, I don't even know why they bother.

6. Scooter riders in packs scare the daylights out of me. Driving in downtown/midtown, it seems like when you get two or more scooters riding together, the riders are laughing and talking to each other and not minding traffic or the road. I sat at one red light and watched a pack of 8 riders drift diagonally across an intersection, against lights, and laughing the whole way.

7. If you're too impaired to drive, you're too impaired to ride a scooter. And yet, look outside bars and restaurants -- piles and piles of scooters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 04:56 AM

2,317 posts, read 911,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
This is my understanding from having been at the site for the rally / memorial:

The people behind our car-first infrastructure are in the wrong. You can't blame people for not wanting to ride bikes / scooters in roads like this.
Okay. Let's ban busses too then since scooter drivers are too blind to see one turning out infront of them. While we're at this we can also dig out a nice trench between the Chattahoochee and Downtown and let everyone swim and canoe to work.

It's pretty clear if he hit him from the side the bus was already halfway through his turn and the scooter did not slow down.

Next up, scooter rider hits another scooter rider... automobile witnesses the collision from a stop light, accused for witnessing the wreckage

Old 08-14-2019, 05:21 AM

8,418 posts, read 10,376,058 times
Look like a pretty weak turnout.

I already picked who at the protest I think is jsvh... but I'll keep my guess to myself.

E-scooter activists hold protest at Atlanta City Hall - Story | WAGA

Old 08-14-2019, 08:07 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,497,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
This is my understanding from having been at the site for the rally / memorial:

The people behind our car-first infrastructure are in the wrong. You can't blame people for not wanting to ride bikes / scooters in roads like this.

The scooter shouldn't have been in the right lane and if the bus hit the person while turning, at that intersection there is a blind spot because the sidewalk is closed off. Actually that corner is also closed off.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Okay. Let's ban busses too then since scooter drivers are too blind to see one turning out infront of them. While we're at this we can also dig out a nice trench between the Chattahoochee and Downtown and let everyone swim and canoe to work.

It's pretty clear if he hit him from the side the bus was already halfway through his turn and the scooter did not slow down.

Next up, scooter rider hits another scooter rider... automobile witnesses the collision from a stop light, accused for witnessing the wreckage
I like that idea. As a country we have already gone back decades and so why not?!

Old 08-14-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

I already picked who at the protest I think is jsvh... but I'll keep my guess to myself.

I stopped caring and decided that they are ALL JSVH. It would explain the inconsistency in posts regarding moving the goal posts and being able to respond so fast and often.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:53 AM

10,040 posts, read 9,424,109 times
Silliness.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:59 AM

429 posts, read 510,247 times
I haven't been on any of the scooters yet - not in Atlanta anyway. Like everyone else, I see them everywhere - especially since I work downtown. Am I to understand that every character I've seen on a scooter has a credit/debit card? I remember passively hearing/reading that one is required to start them.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:02 AM

8,418 posts, read 10,376,058 times
Nobody is addressing how a homeless person had a cell phone and a credit card.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:02 AM

1,172 posts, read 1,824,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

He's the one in the gray shirt, shorts and glasses on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta