U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 10:33 PM

2,322 posts, read 914,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
I found Dallas terrifying to drive in. One day when I was there, some 20-something literally stopped in the third lane over and put on her blinker, waiting for a clearing to take the exit she wanted. Other people just drive off across the grass to the access road. Incredible.
Yeah, the driving across the grass to the access road is nothing new either. They have been doing that since the 80's. They drive huge pickups and tailgate you at 75 - 80 MPH thinking you will cave and speed up. The toll roads have very high suburban speed limits (75 and 80) and I have found myself being passed 'regularly' while doing 90 - 95 just trying to keep up with the flow of traffic. Their work zones are almost always 70 MPH through tight spaces where you're practically kissing the wall with semi's all around you and someone tailgating you. Then the access roads themselves and Texas U-Turns takes awhile of getting used to because you have to check 3 different directions.

On the flip side... I've never seen a city with such a fast paced rush hour.

DFW's highways are not friendly to newcomers and especially those who have phobias of heights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 10:31 AM

3,222 posts, read 1,499,098 times
A lot of people are commenting on fast drivers but I have found slow drivers to be equally as dangerous, for instance, doing 25-30 when trying to merge on the highway (not during rush hour). To me they are even more dangerous than the people who speed.

Most speeders I see on the road aren't driving dangerously. Yesterday was an exception as this one dude was so close to me but most speeders I have seen don't drive recklessly. I think the ones who cut people off too close/follow too closely behind stick out more and stay in our memories longer.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
A lot of people are commenting on fast drivers but I have found slow drivers to be equally as dangerous, for instance, doing 25-30 when trying to merge on the highway (not during rush hour). To me they are even more dangerous than the people who speed.

Most speeders I see on the road aren't driving dangerously. Yesterday was an exception as this one dude was so close to me but most speeders I have seen don't drive recklessly. I think the ones who cut people off too close/follow too closely behind stick out more and stay in our memories longer.
The real dangerous drivers are the ones who are driving while distracted.

Old 08-17-2019, 02:46 PM

3,222 posts, read 1,499,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
The real dangerous drivers are the ones who are driving while distracted.

They better be careful. Isn't texting while driving a criminal offense now if an accident is caused by it?

Old 08-17-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
They better be careful. Isn't texting while driving a criminal offense now if an accident is caused by it?
I'm not 100% sure if its 'criminal' if an 'accident' is caused but I do know it is heavily targeted in Georgia (and it needs to be). It IS however criminal if the resulting accident also results in a fatality. It would most likely result in jail time.

Alot of people dont realize the amount of responsibility involved in driving which is why we have so many accidents when it comes to cars and pedestrians and even other cars. Thing is in alot of cases the matter of intent is waived in the event you accidentally kill someone on the road IF the driver is found to be negligent... it can definitely result in jail time. This is a huge reason I drive slow around pedestrians and bikers and through subdivisions.

Old 08-17-2019, 06:40 PM
bu2

10,207 posts, read 6,559,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Y'all wouldn't have this problem if people would stop a few deadly habits I've witnessed as an out-of-stater.

Traveling into the city headed southbound on I-85:

1. The speed: 85, 90 MPH drivers. They are the rule, not the exception. We have 70 MPH speed limits in NC and SC, but you rarely see anyone doing more than 10 over.

2. The lack of signals, which I'm used to, but combined with

3. CUTTING TWO OR MORE LANES IN ONE FELL SWOOP. This is the killer. I can deal with the first two. But when I check my mirrors, check my blind spot, and begin to merge (slowly) someone ALWAYS cuts in and misses side swiping me by 2 feet or less.

Traffic enforcement is lackadaisical at best, and "unsafe movements" are the real killer. Most people can move over for a speeder.
Traffic enforcement is generally lackadaisical, but you just described an I-85 phenomena. Don't really run across it in the rest of town. I don't mind the 85 mph drivers. Its the ones doing 100-110 who are dangerous.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:04 PM

10,723 posts, read 7,615,630 times
Quote:
But the article I read stated that the scooter rider was at the Arts Center MARTA station prior to the accident. That doesn't jive with him riding north on W. Peachtree.

Can you link to that article?

Old 08-17-2019, 07:12 PM

5,219 posts, read 3,374,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Can you link to that article?
Sure...

‘Do something!’: Passenger recalls moment CobbLinc bus hit e-scooter rider in Midtown

Quote:
City officials said Thursday that Alexander was heading home from an Atlanta United when he was struck.

Authorities are still trying to determine what happened. Surveillance footage from the MARTA station showed the victim on a scooter before the crash, but it did not capture the moment of impact, according to Atlanta police.
So, I guess it doesn't say he was IN the MARTA station, but he was within camera view of the station.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Sure...

‘Do something!’: Passenger recalls moment CobbLinc bus hit e-scooter rider in Midtown

So, I guess it doesn't say he was IN the MARTA station, but he was within camera view of the station.
Yep. The impact was right at the edge of the MARTA station so not surprised their cameras caught some of it, and it states he was heading from the Atlanta United game (which means he would have been traveling north). They also show the bus in the final position I depict.

So, I don't see anything that contradicts this series of events:

Old 08-17-2019, 07:30 PM

The "Car Curfew" rally may have had some success in achieving results already: City To Place Barriers and More Within 30 Days to Protect Bikes / Scooters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta