U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 08:21 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,599,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Join us Tuesday night in front of City Hall for a bedtime ritual unlike any Atlanta has seen before!

By the mayor’s own admission, Atlanta’s roads are dangerous. Yet, the nighttime scooter ban doesn’t address the true cause of the traffic violence and lives lost on the streets of Atlanta.

In lieu of prioritizing comprehensive speed reduction and protected infrastructure, the mayor picks on scooters and e-bikes as easy targets and has created an inequity issue that disproportionately affects third-shift and service industry workers.

Instead of putting scooters and e-bikes to bed at night, help us put the City’s priority on cars to sleep once and for all as we push this administration to awaken the untapped potential for a truly safe, connected, and multimodal city!

WHAT TO BRING:
° Sheets (no white ones, please) and blankets to tuck in and cover the car
° Teddy bears and other bedtime stuffed animals—the bigger the better
° Pajamas encouraged
° Bring votive candles and matches, flashlights, or white bike lights to illuminate the action

HOW TO GET THERE:
° All modes of transportation are embraced, cars included!

More details added as they arise—please check event page for updates!
https://www.facebook.com/events/926222277776125

There is a solution to address the actual cause of so much death on our streets!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 09:10 AM

5,191 posts, read 3,362,000 times

The problem with these scooters is that their night-time visibility is so low. Most of them are all black, with very little real visible lighting. Put someone riding in all black on one of those, and you have an invisible object riding in the road. Now, I know that you think that's not a big deal and it's up to everyone else to pay attention. But, if you can't see them, what is there to pay attention to. It's up to the rider to make themselves visible.

There's a reason vehicles must have numerous lights visible from all directions. There's a reason bikes are required to have bright lights on them. The scooters have lights, but they are not very visible. You don't have to agree, and I know you don't, but that is a problem.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:16 AM

8,398 posts, read 10,361,002 times
I agree with the rally in principle...

But why does it gotta demonize cars to make its point about promoting scooters?

Sorry, lost me with that. Good luck on it, it won't go anywhere because of that.

P.S. - the night time scooter ban is not only idiotic and like the post says, unfairly punishes people who work 2nd and 3rd shift, it wouldn't have even saved that homeless dude because he got killed at 6:30am and the ban only goes until 4am. Plus it happened in East Point, not Atlanta. What you've got is a ridiculous knee-jerk mayor with no real knowledge who was elected by fools. But I'm sure she's busy buying first class tickets for her and her husband to embark on a tour of cities around the world to "learn about how they deal with scooters." If Atlanta voters had elected someone decent, this wouldn't be happening. I'd say maybe Atlanta will learn...but I know it won't. Can't wait to see who the next in the line of idiotic mayors is. I'm sure our current mayor will be behind bars for something by then.

Last edited by ATLTJL; 08-10-2019 at 09:35 AM..

Old 08-10-2019, 09:31 AM

5,191 posts, read 3,362,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
P.S. - the night time scooter ban is not only idiotic and like the post says, unfairly punishes people who work 2nd and 3rd shift, it wouldn't have even saved that homeless dude because he got killed at 6am and the ban only goes until 6:30am. Plus it happened in East Point, not Atlanta. What you've got is a ridiculous knee-jerk mayor with no real knowledge who was elected by fools. But I'm sure she's busy buying first class tickets for her and her husband to embark on a tour of cities around the world to "learn about how they deal with scooters." If Atlanta voters had elected someone decent, this wouldn't be happening. I'd say maybe Atlanta will learn...but I know it won't. Can't wait to see who the next in the line of idiotic mayors is. I'm sure our current mayor will be behind bars for something by then.
I haven't verified it, but someone said on a reddit post that the scooters originally didn't work during night time hours, and this is just reverting back to that (before people started dying). It's odd that we've had scooters in this city for well over year now, and all four deaths have happened within the last three months, and three within the last month. It's not like driving has changed. Is it just that so many more scooters are out there, and people are being careless?

Old 08-10-2019, 09:36 AM

Meanwhile hundreds die from cars every year in Georgia alone. Also, all scooter deaths involved cars (or a bus).

Cars are the source of the death. Pedestrians, bikes, and utility poles also lack bright lights. Yet cars keep running into them.

Don't think people seriously expect a night time ban on cars to happen. Especially with this mayor. But this is to point out how ridiculous it is to blame and restrict scooters for the carnage caused by cars.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:39 AM

I don't know about all the scooter deaths, all I know is this last guy died because he ran a red light. And hit a truck. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess he was impaired in some way. Nevermind the question of if he had a cell phone and a credit card necessary to rent a scooter, how was he even homeless?

Anyway, in my experience, it's actually safer to ride a scooter late at night because there's much less traffic to worry about. Of course, it's also the ideal time to break the law and ride on the sidewalk, since nobody's really using it late at night anyway.

It's a ridiculous ban. Why not just ban crossing the street on foot at night? It's lazy and reactive, and just a way to scream, "seeeeeee, I'm addressing the issue and doing something!!!!"

Old 08-10-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Cars are the source of the death.
A truck was the source of this death. Another was hit by a bus. So I don't even know what you're talking about. You wanna ban trucks? And buses? While we're at it, let's ban that stupid streetcar. I mean, isn't it just a matter of time before it kills someone?

Old 08-10-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
A truck was the source of this death. Another was hit by a bus. So I don't even know what you're talking about. You wanna ban trucks? And buses? While we're at it, let's ban that stupid streetcar. I mean, isn't it just a matter of time before it kills someone?
Yea, I do think we should have similar safety rules / limits in place limiting speed or providing infrastructure for separating pedestrians, bikes, and scooters from larger and more dangerous buses, light rail, trucks, in addition to cars. Buses, trucks, light rail should be lumped in with cars in terms of providing safe street design.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:32 AM

So your rally may as well be called "Is it time for a MARTA bus curfew?"

So long as you continue to demonize cars, which are the lifeblood of our metro, you're never going to get enough support to make any type of meaningful progress.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:35 AM

18,303 posts, read 18,049,865 times
Children have too much free time these days lol pajama sleepover party on the Mayor's lawn?

'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta