U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 07:25 AM

4 posts, read 192 times

Advertisements

Okay so I moved away from ga me and my gf and we moved to Louisiana, we like it down here but we think we wanna go back to GA! Not necessarily Atlanta due to the traffic and the driving . But Georgia is def. going to be it. I would love to stay in north ga somewhere that’s not too city but not too country if you know what I mean ! Also needs. Good school system both grade school and college. And also need the community and city to be (LGBT) friendly. Need somewhere that’s acceptable, need somewhere where I don’t have to worry about my car once I’m inside or I’m always constantly looking over my shoulders. I was looking into Duluth and lawrenceville but I’ll be working at the CDC in Decatur so I know that’s too far! Would like to be closer but it’s all about being comfortable if I have to commute to work I don’t want it to be no more than an hour tops! Hopefully somebody can help! Our budget is 1350 a month (rent). Hopefully someone has some insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 09:42 AM

2,092 posts, read 2,268,974 times
I'd probably look between Decatur and Brookhaven. Your rent may be higher, but that would be offset by less commuting costs (gas, car maintenance, etc)

Old 08-14-2019, 07:13 AM

4 posts, read 192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
I'd probably look between Decatur and Brookhaven. Your rent may be higher, but that would be offset by less commuting costs (gas, car maintenance, etc)
Okay
Thanks !

Old 08-14-2019, 07:41 AM

2,108 posts, read 1,829,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
If you need good schools and have a low budget and need to be close to the CDC your options are going to be limited—if you can’t find something Intown that works (do it, if you can)—look into the Parkview high school zone (mostly in Lilburn, but parts are Tucker-ish and Stone Mountain-ish). When I was doing the peak rush-hour commute next to Parkview High it took about an hour, and outside of peak times it was less (some CDC lab techs do very early schedules to avoid traffic and get the very limited parking). Parkview schools are diverse in the truest sense, so what you get in neighborhoods can vary a lot; racially, politically, religiously, ethnically, etc.. so, I would guess that folks will be “respectful” of differences, but “friendly” may vary a bit more than Intown.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:02 AM

2,316 posts, read 906,871 times
Just curious are you seeking a house / apartment / condo - does it matter to you?

Lawrenceville is for the most part pretty good. Duluth is okay as well but there are some parts (primarily apartments near I-85) that you'll need to becareful around. The rent... ...may be borderline however depending on what you're searching for.

I personally would NOT enjoy a commute from either of those suburbs to the CDC however.

Old Today, 09:12 PM

4 posts, read 192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
If you need good schools and have a low budget and need to be close to the CDC your options are going to be limited—if you can’t find something Intown that works (do it, if you can)—look into the Parkview high school zone (mostly in Lilburn, but parts are Tucker-ish and Stone Mountain-ish). When I was doing the peak rush-hour commute next to Parkview High it took about an hour, and outside of peak times it was less (some CDC lab techs do very early schedules to avoid traffic and get the very limited parking). Parkview schools are diverse in the truest sense, so what you get in neighborhoods can vary a lot; racially, politically, religiously, ethnically, etc.. so, I would guess that folks will be “respectful” of differences, but “friendly” may vary a bit more than Intown.
Thank you that definitely a something to look into.. I was thinking more of the norcross area.. but I will look into those areas as well. 🙏🏽

Old Today, 09:14 PM

4 posts, read 192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Just curious are you seeking a house / apartment / condo - does it matter to you?

Lawrenceville is for the most part pretty good. Duluth is okay as well but there are some parts (primarily apartments near I-85) that you'll need to becareful around. The rent... ...may be borderline however depending on what you're searching for.

I personally would NOT enjoy a commute from either of those suburbs to the CDC however.
An apartment for the most part.. I know the commute will be horrible from both.. Decatur is fine I just need a decent and safe neighborhood

Old Today, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxj509 View Post
An apartment for the most part.. I know the commute will be horrible from both.. Decatur is fine I just need a decent and safe neighborhood
Parkview has some, but not a lot of apartments— but that stability is a bit of the draw—and I *think* there *should* be some houses that are within your budget (I am renting out a 3/2 house there under your budget).

Old Today, 09:31 PM

You might also check out the Emory off-campus housing site for something Intown (it use to be very useful, haven’t really looked at it in a long time, though):

https://offcampushousing.emory.edu/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or