U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 05:50 AM

8,418 posts, read 10,376,058 times

Advertisements

Finish your bachelor degree before you move and find a job before she commits to it.

If you intend to live here on $40k with a family of 4, you're going to live like a pauper. You'll be extremely disappointed. To be honest, $40k is really low even for a single person in Atlanta. I think it's doable, but a lot of people would say you should make well north of that for even one person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 06:20 AM

6,516 posts, read 3,603,740 times
I concur with the other opinions. Plus GA income tax will eat up around $2000 of that new salary, so the gain isnít as high.

How much longer until you finish your degree?

Old 08-14-2019, 07:59 AM

1,172 posts, read 1,824,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I don't know that I would move here with just 40K to live on. You didn't mention savings and reserves and other debts. Plus your moving expense. I just wonder what her salary was if the promotion only got 40K. I think a realistic rent will be 1700 for a good area that you are requesting. That makes you rent 51% of her salary. The equalivant where you are paying 775 means she would be making 18K now if you use the same ratio. If she makes more you might want to stay put.
40K is not enough to live in Atlanta without struggling greatly as a single person much less a family. I would relocate to a smaller town in the Southeast with a much lower cost of living like the Chattanoogas, Huntsville, etc. if I could find a job there that paid 40K or more. I'm surprised a place in Florida is that much cheaper than Atlanta though but it is I looked it up. The median home cost is almost half of what it is in metro Atlanta. Don't move here unless her salary is going to double from what it was in Ocala. You are far better off there right now until one of you sees a substantial salary increase.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:47 PM

134 posts, read 289,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Don't move. If you are able to afford to rent a 4 bedroom house with a yard in a safe area and good schools on a salary of less than $40k/yr and stay afloat financially then your family is living the 1950's americana dream. Many many many people cannot make that work on double that salary here in Atlanta.

Atlanta is perhaps one of the least vicious of the big cities in the US but $40k will not give you anywhere near the quality of life that you currently enjoy. Don't believe the hype about big city sophistication. Marietta is a suburb and while it is more diverse than Ocala, you can always scratch that itch by visiting occasionally.

I'm not sure what your wife currently earns, but the scaling of her income to a mere 40k is not proportional to the increase in cost of living. A quick google says that cost of living is 40% more expensive in Marietta with rent costing twice as much.

I'm not sure what a move to Marietta would give you in return. The job market here isn't stellar ,IMO
Really? Atlanta seems to have a boomtown type reputation. Is that not the case? Or is it just confined to ATL proper?

My degree is going to be in business management. Will that count for much up there or is the area more of a "it's who you know" type of market?

Old 08-14-2019, 06:04 PM

6,516 posts, read 3,603,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudenamedric View Post
Really? Atlanta seems to have a boomtown type reputation. Is that not the case? Or is it just confined to ATL proper?

My degree is going to be in business management. Will that count for much up there or is the area more of a "it's who you know" type of market?
Thereís a lot going on, especially north of ATL in tech. A business degree is fine, but it will likely be more what you know and what youíre looking to do.

Old 08-14-2019, 07:27 PM

1,183 posts, read 1,029,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudenamedric View Post

The job market is great right now! I say this based on the number of legitimate unsolicited recruiter calls I get, and as a hiring manager who has had to hire 4 people in the last six months.

As for your question, it all depends what you want to do with the business management degree. New business grads probably make between $60-$65k if working at an F1000 company

Old 08-14-2019, 07:46 PM

1,141 posts, read 789,710 times
I will echo some of the others' thoughts and suggest that you finish your bachelor's degree before moving up here, if you can. That goes especially if you're at a larger institution like UF, whose alumni base and career center connections in metro Atlanta are pretty good. (And it pains me to say that, as a Seminole, as we're no slouches here either, but we are definitely outnumbered in Atlanta by the Gators.)

Old 08-14-2019, 10:03 PM

134 posts, read 289,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
I will echo some of the others' thoughts and suggest that you finish your bachelor's degree before moving up here, if you can. That goes especially if you're at a larger institution like UF, whose alumni base and career center connections in metro Atlanta are pretty good. (And it pains me to say that, as a Seminole, as we're no slouches here either, but we are definitely outnumbered in Atlanta by the Gators.)
Very sound advice, as has been all the advice given to me in this thread. I'm very thankful for it. Luckily, the move, if she accepts, and they're not pressing her at the moment about it, would happen next summer, which is when I graduate, so it would work out to be pretty sweet timing. The issue then would be securing employment for myself up there, which I would try to get going beforehand.

So I have the benefit of time, which I'll be using to continue getting to know the areas, watching the rent prices, and job market as it gets closer to graduation. I hope it all works out, though. I love the area we live in now, but I'm really enjoying the thought of our family up there. I guess we'll see. Thanks again!

Old 08-15-2019, 05:56 AM

8,418 posts, read 10,376,058 times
Quote:
New business grads probably make between $60-$65k if working at an F1000 company
That seems high to me.

Can you post 3 links to jobs that pay $65,000 that a new business management grad would be qualified for assuming the person didn't go to an Ivy League school?

Old 08-15-2019, 06:27 AM

1,183 posts, read 1,029,916 times
Sure, no problem. When I graduated business school 13 years ago, F500's were paying $45K-$55K (in the Twin Cities granted). But as a hiring manager of many grads, I can confirm it's accurate. I can also confirm that we've had a hard time attracting candidates, which tells me perhaps we aren't paying them enough (although my F500 company has some reputation issues to overcome as well!!!!).

The below are in finance and supply chain, spread across the retail, media, and CPG sectors

https://g.co/kgs/kMqBCH
https://g.co/kgs/pED8mL
https://g.co/kgs/wsF5j1

Below is also Georgia Tech's stats, which say average business school grads start out making $63K:

https://www.scheller.gatech.edu/why-...ecruiting.html

Georgia looks similar although these are from 2016, ($55K base +$5K signing bonus + $5K bonus)

https://www.terry.uga.edu/students/c...ployment-stats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or