U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 06:40 AM

8,418 posts, read 10,376,058 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I'd think UGA's stats are more accurate.

At GA Tech, you're skewing more toward people who are going to graduate with computer and tech knowledge, which doesn't apply to all business management grads. Especially among those who concentrate in management or marketing, not accounting or finance.

I'm surprised to see Home Depot hires supply chain positions from business backgrounds. I was under the impression to succeed in that field, you really need an industrial engineering education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 07:11 AM

1,172 posts, read 1,824,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudenamedric View Post
Really? Atlanta seems to have a boomtown type reputation. Is that not the case? Or is it just confined to ATL proper?

My degree is going to be in business management. Will that count for much up there or is the area more of a "it's who you know" type of market?
Atlanta is not booming like it was in the early 2000s it's lost some prestige. The recession hit it hard, it's recovered quite a bit, but i'd stay it's still lagging behind cities like Dallas, Austin, Charlotte, Phoenix and Nashville in job opportunity right now (relative to population).

Old 08-15-2019, 01:31 PM

1,394 posts, read 637,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Sure, no problem. When I graduated business school 13 years ago, F500's were paying $45K-$55K (in the Twin Cities granted). But as a hiring manager of many grads, I can confirm it's accurate. I can also confirm that we've had a hard time attracting candidates, which tells me perhaps we aren't paying them enough (although my F500 company has some reputation issues to overcome as well!!!!).

The below are in finance and supply chain, spread across the retail, media, and CPG sectors

https://g.co/kgs/kMqBCH
https://g.co/kgs/pED8mL
https://g.co/kgs/wsF5j1

Below is also Georgia Tech's stats, which say average business school grads start out making $63K:

https://www.scheller.gatech.edu/why-...ecruiting.html

Georgia looks similar although these are from 2016, ($55K base +$5K signing bonus + $5K bonus)

https://www.terry.uga.edu/students/c...ployment-stats
You are linking to some jobs that are preferring advanced degrees and experience. They are unlikely to hire a BBA with no experience for those jobs.

Old 08-15-2019, 02:01 PM

2,318 posts, read 911,567 times
I dont mean to be that guy but I would NOT move here on $40k a year and 2 kids....and $1,700 or more IS the realistic price point if you want to live close to her job in Cumberland and have access to good schools.

Old 08-15-2019, 05:23 PM

1,183 posts, read 1,029,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
You are linking to some jobs that are preferring advanced degrees and experience. They are unlikely to hire a BBA with no experience for those jobs.
I hope you aren't believing that lie. Nearly ALL jobs list preferred experience that is higher than the actual candidate they expect to land. If you are only applying to jobs where you tick every single preference in the job description, you are going about it all wrong and being too passive. You might be selling yourself short.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:22 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,497,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudenamedric View Post
You don't come off as negative at all. I appreciate your honesty. The last thing I want to do is put my family in a situation that we'll ending up sinking from, especially being so far away from family and any kind of support, so it's definitely something I'm going to give serious thought to. Luckily, this move isn't something that is right around the corner, so I'm not in a rush and many things can change between now and then. I'm just one to start planning immediately and start getting my ducks in a row as soon as I can. As far as her having negotiating leverage, I honestly don't know and I doubt she'd feel comfortable negotiating in the first place.

DreamerD mentioned Kennesaw, which I hadn't looked into yet. Currently in the process of going through listings and whatnot, and it seems like a nice area, would definitely give us a bit more wiggle room, pricewise. I'm kinda just looking all over the general area, no specifics as of yet, but are there any "no-go" zones you can think of? Seems to be my understanding that much of the Atlanta area and surrounding are almost steadily improving as far as crime goes. Of course, that's from an outsider's perspective of what he reads, so I could be way off, but it seems most of the crimes are property crimes and theft. I'm surprised it's as spread out all over the area as it is, but I definitely don't get the impression that it's a huge issue.

Another big question I failed to ask before: how high do the utilities run in say a 1500-1800 square foot home? Down here, our utility company screws us royally with rates, wondering if it's the same up there. Again, thank you all for your help thus far, and any help you provide me with going forward. I truly appreciate it.

OMG dude, totally forgot to respond to this. Well you will be renting a house/buying from my understanding and I don't know too many areas in Kennesaw with houses that wouldn't be considered at least decent. It might be better for you to send a location or area of Kennesaw you are curious about and perhaps I or others can comment on it. Kennesaw is pretty safe. It's not on the top 5 as it used to be but it's still known for being safe.

I hope someone else has helped you with the utilities question.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:27 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,497,469 times
Quote:
I hope you aren't believing that lie. Nearly ALL jobs list preferred experience that is higher than the actual candidate they expect to land. If you are only applying to jobs where you tick every single preference in the job description, you are going about it all wrong and being too passive. You might be selling yourself short.

I might have to keep this in mind when applying for jobs. I think I'll also go in person. My personality seems to get me interviews. For the business field, do people still go to the place to hand their resume in (in addition to online)? Is that a good thing or a turn-off today?

Old 08-16-2019, 03:30 PM

1,394 posts, read 637,902 times
Quote:
Sure, apply away to anything because you never know, but as examples of salaries for jobs looking for fresh grads are these really the best examples?

Old 08-16-2019, 03:59 PM

2,318 posts, read 911,567 times
Quote:
Sorry but I disagree with this on so many levels. You can only fluff the lack of experience so much before it becomes a necessity. If you are applying for a job that 'requires' an advanced degree... there is a reason for it. If it said advanced degree 'preferred ' you may have a chance...but I know many people in both tech and chemistry that were not able to get preferred jobs due to qualifications and skillsets.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:41 PM

7,637 posts, read 10,159,688 times
I would venture to say the Sprayberry HS catchment area of Cobb, Marietta zip codes 30066 and 30062 give you some of the feeling of east Cobb without being near as pricey. Good connectivity to 75. A little further out than Smryna or true East Cobb but schools are good and price point more affordable. Best mixture of affordable, safe, decent schools and decent commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or