U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 03:58 PM

5,239 posts, read 3,380,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
One day people are going to realize that more highways or more transit will never fix traffic on it's own.
So, then...what will?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
So...Houston, Dallas, Nashville, and Chicago have no traffic?
How did you get that from what he said??

Old 08-14-2019, 04:04 PM

13,699 posts, read 22,192,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Freeways and highways are barriers.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...?smid=tw-share
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
This has got to be one of the dumbest threads ever on CD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its not. Its just more race baiting for clicks.

The biggest contributor to traffic was not separating I-85 and I-75 in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Well, it’s not like the actions/words of previous generations haven’t made Atlanta an easy target—and the MARTA stuff really isn’t a reach, and as a whole white flight has contributed to sprawl/traffic—although cheap land, and hunger for growth probably made sprawl inevitable anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Did this guy even look at a map of Atlanta when writing this piece? He says that I-20 on the Westside meanders bizarrely, but it runs almost due west. The most dramatic curve takes it around Westview Cemetery, which predates the interstate by almost 70 years. The highway had to go around it. Meanwhile, it's I-20 on the Eastside that has the really bizarre route, as far as I can see, with a sharp dip to the south that also briefly swings back west.

Meanwhile, no mention at all of the Grady Curve, the poor design of which is the source of the very worst intown freeway traffic, and may also have been conceived with nefarious intent, having sliced Sweet Auburn in half, among other things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Agreed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
This sounds like it was written by a guy I went to high school with. He claimed that the new gym building's walls were painted with racist intent. Why, you ask? Because they were two-tone beige, with darker beige on the bottom, and lighter beige on the top. This apparently symbolized whites' power over blacks.

The author of the article actually wrote a book about all of this stuff:

White Flight
https://www.audible.com/pd/White-Fli...ook/1977342949

Old 08-14-2019, 04:26 PM

5,503 posts, read 3,887,812 times
Quote:
How did you get that from what he said??

From here:

Quote:
Traffic in big cities is a matter of fact sadly. If you don't want traffic move to flyover country.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:30 PM

347 posts, read 141,417 times
I'm a bit surprised the NYT's published something so short from a scholar. Their argument might be strengthened if they also looked into the investments in the automobile industry during "white flight," and perhaps some studies that've been able to estimate some of the daily demographic trips in and out of the city. I'd also be interested if they put some focus behind the role of desegregationist school busing and magnet schools in terms of traffic . . . I don't see anywhere in the article where the author argued for interstates/etc. as racist more than sentiments that went into their organization. Where is that stated in the article?

Old 08-14-2019, 04:30 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,636,758 times
White Atlantans didn't move north, transplants did.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:44 PM

5,239 posts, read 3,380,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
From here:
How are Chicago, Nashville, Houston, and Dallas "flyover country"?? Flyover country refers to places like rural Kansas and Nebraska. He said big cities have traffic. Those are big cities.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:49 PM

1,142 posts, read 791,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The author of the article actually wrote a book about all of this stuff:

White Flight
https://www.audible.com/pd/White-Fli...ook/1977342949
That does not change the fact that there are some glaring errors (or errors of omission) in his piece. And while racism was certainly involved in the routing of the highways, it wasn't necessarily the primary cause of the congestion we experience today. Post hoc, ergo proper hoc, anyone?

Old 08-14-2019, 04:55 PM

1,502 posts, read 1,674,757 times
Quote:
This sounds like it was written by a guy I went to high school with. He claimed that the new gym building's walls were painted with racist intent. Why, you ask? Because they were two-tone beige, with darker beige on the bottom, and lighter beige on the top. This apparently symbolized whites' power over blacks.
You're right. Your example is exactly like demolishing black homes by the hundreds and massive infrastructure projects that were openly designed for segregation.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:01 PM

1,502 posts, read 1,674,757 times
Quote:
Did this guy even look at a map of Atlanta when writing this piece? He says that I-20 on the Westside meanders bizarrely, but it runs almost due west. The most dramatic curve takes it around Westview Cemetery, which predates the interstate by almost 70 years. The highway had to go around it. Meanwhile, it's I-20 on the Eastside that has the really bizarre route, as far as I can see, with a sharp dip to the south that also briefly swings back west.

Meanwhile, no mention at all of the Grady Curve, the poor design of which is the source of the very worst intown freeway traffic, and may also have been conceived with nefarious intent, having sliced Sweet Auburn in half, among other things.
There is a section of I-20 east of the city that is more N-S than it is E-W and I don't see any barrier that would have prevented a more direct route. Are you disputing the direct quotes from Hartsfield?

Quote:
That does not change the fact that there are some glaring errors (or errors of omission) in his piece. And while racism was certainly involved in the routing of the highways, it wasn't necessarily the primary cause of the congestion we experience today. Post hoc, ergo proper hoc, anyone?
Such as?

Old 08-14-2019, 05:10 PM

1,142 posts, read 791,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
There is a section of I-20 east of the city that is more N-S than it is E-W and I don't see any barrier that would have prevented a more direct route. Are you disputing the direct quotes from Hartsfield?
I am saying, as I said in my other post, that while the author said the crazy circuitous route was on I-20 WEST, it is, in fact, on I-20 EAST. And the biggest cause of congestion, that was also likely at least in part brought about by or as a tool of segregation, is the Grady Curve, which he fails to mention.

It's just a sloppily written article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta