U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 01:31 PM

2,358 posts, read 922,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Where did cqholt say that?
He doesn't have to say it. His anti-car agenda reeks so great its blatantly apparent. He wants pedestrians to have right of way over vehicles as it was before automobiles became a major player in todays world. Every single post he makes regarding a pedestrian death regardless of how much or little the pedestrian may have contributed to the collision - he and jsvh always make cars out to be like a devil...as if they have a mind of their own hungrily looking to victimize pedestrians. The same goes for the idea of ripping up lanes for pedestrian paths and bikeways - and while those nodes are definitely nice and needed - it would only assist at the most... 3% of Atlanta metro's population. Atlanta is a car dependent metro... ...do something about that (by making transit more reachable and feasible for the MASSES) before blaming drivers and cars... They have way too much bias into his information based on their desires rather than anything with perspective of the entire situation which actually makes his arguments weaker than they could be. When you focus only on one side and bias against that over and over again over time your arguments just lose weight and meaning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Backing out of a driveway requires you to cross a sidewalk, where pedestrians have the right of way. If is the driver's responsibility to yield to them, but then again most Americans think driving is a right, not a privilege.
Driving is neither a right or a privilege. driving is a tax... there are thousands and thousands of people who do not need to be given a license in this country, they will not take them off the road because cars bring the localities money... and MUCH more money than any other form of transportation aside from just 'maybe' flight - ever has.. or ever will..

Old 08-16-2019, 02:12 PM

3,766 posts, read 1,297,946 times
Driving is definitely a privilege.

A right implies that it's a freedom that can't be taken away.

The freedom to drive is entirely dependent on one's ability to handle a vehicle properly and follow the rules of the road. When one fails to do so, their license is suspended or revoked.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:32 PM

2,358 posts, read 922,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Driving is definitely a privilege.

A right implies that it's a freedom that can't be taken away.

The freedom to drive is entirely dependent on one's ability to handle a vehicle properly and follow the rules of the road. When one fails to do so, their license is suspended or revoked.
Theres alot of licenses out there that need revoking or never should have been issued.

Compare an American drivers test to just about any European country, or especially Germany and we would probably have 1/16th of the drivers we currently allow to drive.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:35 PM

3,766 posts, read 1,297,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Theres alot of licenses out there that need revoking or never should have been issued.

Compare an American drivers test to just about any European country, or especially Germany and we would probably have 1/16th of the drivers we currently allow to drive.
No disagreement there.

Old 08-16-2019, 02:47 PM

7,649 posts, read 10,167,554 times
Quote:

My two years of working with youth in the UK, found it similar. Seems they failed kids (and 18 was the age) on the first try every single time just because. And I found it a much better system. For one, every single person knows that you don't use the passing lanes on the motorway to do anything but pass. All traffic moves to the left lane (remember they are left hand drivers so the equivalent of our moving to the right lane) and stays there until the need to overtake. On a 3 lane motorway, the only time the far right is used is if you are going faster than one overtaking in the center lane. And you NEVER saw someone overtake to the left, always to the right.

Just one example of how they were much better drivers than Americans.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:13 PM

10,041 posts, read 9,432,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
White Atlantans didn't move north, transplants did.
Plenty of white Atlantans moved north. I am one of them.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:02 PM

1,310 posts, read 640,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I just got back from San Diego, a smaller metro than here. Their traffic is every bit as bad as ours, and they have way more freeways than we do.

Go figure.

San Diego traffic isn't as bad as Atlanta's. I've been there a few times. Its bad though because everyone wants to live as close to the ocean as possible and the water serves as a natural boundary but going west to east is a lot easier than crossing the same direction through ATL.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:13 PM

1,310 posts, read 640,012 times
Quote:
All of them have pretty rough traffic...however DFW rushhour is fairly reasonable. I can clear DFW between 4pm - 6pm at speeds ranging between 55 to 70 MPH. Houston's grid makes it incredibly easy to bypass certain swaths of traffic or you can completely bypass the entire city altogether...and Chicago you don't have to deal with it in the first place.
Maybe 20 years ago you could be there's close to 7.4 million residents in D/FW now. The metro has done a tremendous job increasing mobility via more highways, tollways, bridges, light rail, and streetcars. In fact, TXDot is about the widen I 635 from US 75 to I 30, probably the 12th highway/tollway project in the 15 years I've been in D/FW. I'd estimate, easily $10 billion alone just on road widening alone. Add in rail construction, that's couple billion more.

Its better really than most any other large sunbelt metro including Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Austin but 55-70 during 4pm to 6pm in MOST areas of the Metroplex is not happening. You'll hit big pockets though tollways really have helped. I lived in Atlanta more than once. I lived in Houston more than once. Neither have progressed in mobility as much as DFW. Atlanta is the least progressed.

Interesting hypothesis about highways and segregation. For whatever reason, I see more clustering by race/ethnicity in greater Atlanta than D/FW or Houston. Now that may be because the diversity in those markets is higher, making it more challenging for segregation.

Old 08-16-2019, 06:30 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,556,435 times
De Nile is not just a river in Africa it seems.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:10 PM

7,649 posts, read 10,167,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Maybe 20 years ago you could be there's close to 7.4 million residents in D/FW now. The metro has done a tremendous job increasing mobility via more highways, tollways, bridges, light rail, and streetcars. In fact, TXDot is about the widen I 635 from US 75 to I 30, probably the 12th highway/tollway project in the 15 years I've been in D/FW. I'd estimate, easily $10 billion alone just on road widening alone. Add in rail construction, that's couple billion more.

Its better really than most any other large sunbelt metro including Miami, Atlanta, Houston, Austin but 55-70 during 4pm to 6pm in MOST areas of the Metroplex is not happening. You'll hit big pockets though tollways really have helped. I lived in Atlanta more than once. I lived in Houston more than once. Neither have progressed in mobility as much as DFW. Atlanta is the least progressed.

Interesting hypothesis about highways and segregation. For whatever reason, I see more clustering by race/ethnicity in greater Atlanta than D/FW or Houston. Now that may be because the diversity in those markets is higher, making it more challenging for segregation.
I just recently moved from McKinney to Little Elm. Will be moving back closer in when I am able. The traffic on US 380.... takes me 15 minutes to get out of my subdivision when school is in session and another 20 to go the first 3 miles before the bottleneck breaks. A 12 mile commute takes over an hour.

It isn't as bad everywhere, just happen to be in an area where a lake funnels all east west traffic on to one arterial and the housing is going gangbusters in this part of Collin and Denton counties. Roads aren't keeping up with the growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta