U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 08:29 AM

29,534 posts, read 26,564,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I could literally name you 10 kids off the top of my head that were recruited by schools in gwinnett and cobb that I know personally. Not a single one of them lived anywhere near the school district. One of them being my best friend. Trust me, recruiting happens.
I don't know about recruiting, but the big publics have been finding a way to attract the top athletes forever. And that's in all sports, not just football and basketball.

Part of it is the depth of their resources, top flight coaches, powerful booster clubs, winning traditions and alumni, college connections, etc. You don't wind up on top of the heap year after year by accident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 06:41 PM

2,241 posts, read 3,554,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I don't know about recruiting, but the big publics have been finding a way to attract the top athletes forever. And that's in all sports, not just football and basketball.

Part of it is the depth of their resources, top flight coaches, powerful booster clubs, winning traditions and alumni, college connections, etc. You don't wind up on top of the heap year after year by accident.
Nah, there is straight up recruiting. IE schools in certain districts going to those "minority" neighborhoods to seek out good players to come play for the big AAAAAAA schools. Have seen it myself. Have even seen offers for kids to be assisted to relocate to school districts they live nowhere near. Yes, it is a thing. And yes, the larger Gwinnett schools that all of a sudden had a bunch of black kids on their football teams while their black student body that weren't athletes was super small...all of them do it. Hoover in Birmingham was notorious for it. It's just like when Bear Bryant at Alabama got hip to black players back in the day. They didn't care anything about them being at their schools in general, but once they figured they could gain an advantage by recruiting black players that's exactly what they did even though the school didn't even want them there. But, as a result of that, Alabama became a powerhouse under Bryant.

It was just the same in LaGrange years ago. They dominated football in AAA for years because they went and got all of the players that should've been at other schools. Then, Callaway brought in a coach that convinced the kids that they didn't need to go play at LaGrange to win. All of those kids stayed in their district and they've dominated the city since. It's nothing new, happens all over the country. People using someone elses address to get kids into certain schools for sports or academics. Parkview was one of the first that it became obvious back around the late 90's. Imagine kids that really lived in College Park playing football there.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:31 PM

663 posts, read 438,932 times
I have no doubt that there is recruiting. It's happens in basketball all over the state. Grayson also had several top players transfer to help them win a state championship in Football, and Buford definitely recruits for multiple sports.

Speaking of Callaway, they ran 5A Starr's Mill off the field in the scrimmage game last night. It was 41-7 Callaway. Callaway has about 800 kids vs. 1400-1500 at Starr's Mill. Starr's Mill is a 5A preseason top 10 team too. SM's starters kept up early in the game, but Callaway was about 4 athletes deep at every position. Amazing for a school of that size. Also, that kid Tank Bigsby was unbelievable. He was like a man among boys.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
I have no doubt that there is recruiting. It's happens in basketball all over the state. Grayson also had several top players transfer to help them win a state championship in Football, and Buford definitely recruits for multiple sports.

Speaking of Callaway, they ran 5A Starr's Mill off the field in the scrimmage game last night. It was 41-7 Callaway. Callaway has about 800 kids vs. 1400-1500 at Starr's Mill. Starr's Mill is a 5A preseason top 10 team too. SM's starters kept up early in the game, but Callaway was about 4 athletes deep at every position. Amazing for a school of that size. Also, that kid Tank Bigsby was unbelievable. He was like a man among boys.
And that used to be LaGrange.. but what that coach has done at Callaway has been amazing. I look for them to win a ring real soon. It's the smallest school in LaGrange but, what when Callaway was built they redid the school zones in a way that a lot of "certain" kids would have to go there instead of LaGrange. Backfired most definitely when it comes to athletics. My nephew is on that team btw.

Old Today, 11:45 AM

13,450 posts, read 17,099,961 times
When Metro Atlanta high schools start offering ice hockey, water polo and rowing, then we'll really have arrived!

Old Today, 11:50 AM

13,450 posts, read 17,099,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
And that used to be LaGrange.. but what that coach has done at Callaway has been amazing. I look for them to win a ring real soon. It's the smallest school in LaGrange but, what when Callaway was built they redid the school zones in a way that a lot of "certain" kids would have to go there instead of LaGrange. Backfired most definitely when it comes to athletics. My nephew is on that team btw.
The attendance zones for Troup, LaGrange and Callaway all intersect at LaFayette Square in downtown LaGrange. Same thing in Coweta: The attendance zones for Newnan, East Coweta and Northgate all intersect at Court Square in downtown Newnan. This of course was done to try and divvy up kids in *certain* neighborhoods evenly between the schools, but it didn't exactly work out that way.

Old Today, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
The attendance zones for Troup, LaGrange and Callaway all intersect at LaFayette Square in downtown LaGrange. Same thing in Coweta: The attendance zones for Newnan, East Coweta and Northgate all intersect at Court Square in downtown Newnan. This of course was done to try and divvy up kids in *certain* neighborhoods evenly between the schools, but it didn't exactly work out that way.

My first year in high school was the year that Callaway was built. When we all got there and started looking around it was like damn, did they round us all up and ship us out here or what? I hated it initially because LaGrange was the "it" school. But that certainly has changed quite a bit. Interesting fact, when Callaway was first built the student population was so small that it was both the middle school and the high school. I forget exactly wnen it was that they built the middle school and separated the two. Another reason Callaway wins is because Hogansville is included in their district. Basketball wise Callaway dominated the city from day one and it wasn't close. Football wise they struggled because LaGrange sucked up all of the good players in the city. Steve Pardue left LaGrange and went to Kentucky and they've been trash since.

Old Today, 06:33 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,881,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
When Metro Atlanta high schools start offering ice hockey, water polo and rowing, then we'll really have arrived!
Westminster has rowing and a good many Atlanta schools have water polo including Chamblee, Lakeside, Pace, GAC, Wesleyan, Lovett, Westminster, North Springs, Norcross, St. Pius, Collins Hill, and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or