U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 10:37 AM

5,320 posts, read 4,070,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
So you have a problem with due process now? If there isn't enough evidence to convict, then why do you think someone should be dragged through a trial???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm unaware of such a law.

In the U.S. there are two types of laws regarding the enforcement of speed limits.

Absolute and Relative

Absolute means if the speed limit is 55 MPH, you can be pulled over for going 56 MPH.

Relative means if the speed limit is 55 MPH, you get a 5 MPH lee-way, so they cannot cite you until you are doing 61 MPH or more.

Georgia is an absolute speed state, that technically means they CAN legally write you a ticket for going even 1 mph over the limit - not very likely... but they have the legal frame work to do so.
In Georgia, if the police use radar, lidar, or VASCAR to determine speed, they can't write a ticket for speed unless the person is exceeding 10mph over the limit. That doesn't apply to the state patrol, nor in certain "residential districts" or in school or construction zones. I have no idea what the application to cameras is, though given that they're only "allowed" in school zones, I imagine the law is the same
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:41 AM

5,282 posts, read 4,327,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm unaware of such a law.

In the U.S. there are two types of laws regarding the enforcement of speed limits.

Absolute and Relative

Absolute means if the speed limit is 55 MPH, you can be pulled over for going 56 MPH.

Relative means if the speed limit is 55 MPH, you get a 5 MPH lee-way, so they cannot cite you until you are doing 61 MPH or more.

Georgia is an absolute speed state, that technically means they CAN legally write you a ticket for going even 1 mph over the limit - not very likely... but they have the legal frame work to do so.
Unless there is an exception that I am not aware of, local police are not allowed to fine you for <10 over the speed limit. I believe they can still pull you over, but because of that restriction they'll usually wait for worse speeders.

Old Today, 11:55 AM

912 posts, read 372,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Roswell joins 20 other cities in Georgia in approving School Zone Speed Cameras. This is a great move, as school zones is the most important area where traffic should be slowed and enforced.
City of Atlanta needs to follow suit.

The additional revenue can be used for sidewalk and LIT(bike) lanes to be built connecting schools with communities.
https://www.ajc.com/news/local/roswe...6QTsWHDnXR90Q#

Cities all over the country are taking down cameras because most people don't pay the fine.

Old Today, 01:02 PM

2,315 posts, read 906,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
So you have a problem with due process now? If there isn't enough evidence to convict, then why do you think someone should be dragged through a trial???

In Georgia, if the police use radar, lidar, or VASCAR to determine speed, they can't write a ticket for speed unless the person is exceeding 10mph over the limit. That doesn't apply to the state patrol, nor in certain "residential districts" or in school or construction zones. I have no idea what the application to cameras is, though given that they're only "allowed" in school zones, I imagine the law is the same
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Unless there is an exception that I am not aware of, local police are not allowed to fine you for <10 over the speed limit. I believe they can still pull you over, but because of that restriction they'll usually wait for worse speeders.
Okay I remember now.

Basically yes what I stated applies to state patrol, not local PD. The reason that law was created was because earlier in Georgia's history, local PD in places like Tifton and Valdosta were popping travelers heading to and from Florida as a means of making money for their localities and Georgia had to put an end to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or