U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 11:27 AM

23,606 posts, read 17,789,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I can't wait to see all the utility trucks blocking full lanes because they can't cross the cyclist and scooter barriers to pull up against the curb.
Causing LIT users to swerve into the vehicle lane would cause a dangerous situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 11:54 AM

3,833 posts, read 974,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Causing LIT users to swerve into the vehicle lane would cause a dangerous situation.
The number of cars having to merge for a single lane closure (a LOT) compared with the number of two-wheeled, non-gas commuters having to find an alternate route (a FEW) makes it a no-brainer.

Make them stop, dismount, and walk the bike on the sidewalk.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
The number of cars having to merge for a single lane closure (a LOT) compared with the number of two-wheeled, non-gas commuters having to find an alternate route (a FEW) makes it a no-brainer.

Make them stop, dismount, and walk the bike on the sidewalk.
You are only viewing it from behind a windshield. Dismounting in a traffic lane?

Old 08-21-2019, 12:44 PM

3,833 posts, read 974,441 times
Quote:
You are only viewing it from behind a windshield. Dismounting in a traffic lane?
*** Bike lane, when you encounter the work zone and either must merge into a full width, full speed traffic lane or my alternative.

Don't get me started on bikes on roads without bike lanes.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:54 PM

5,506 posts, read 3,889,450 times
Quote:
Don't get me started on bikes on roads without bike lanes.
You have a problem with them?

Old 08-21-2019, 03:04 PM

2,362 posts, read 924,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
You have a problem with them?
To each their own but I personally would 'not' ride a bike on Atlanta roads full of traffic. I respect those who do and thats entirely their right as well but...I personally couldn't feel safe about it. All it takes is one tap from an automobile and ...yeah... Some roads are too narrow and some people drive too fast around them.

Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM

5,242 posts, read 3,383,045 times
Quote:
He said in a bike lane. If the lane is blocked, dismount, walk on the sidewalk around the blockage, and then continue on the other side. Think of it like a bus bridge. It's not an inconvenience whatsoever!

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
He said in a bike lane. If the lane is blocked, dismount, walk on the sidewalk around the blockage, and then continue on the other side. Think of it like a bus bridge. It's not an inconvenience whatsoever!
Majority would just use the general traffic lane, creating a potential merge with vehicles.
Why don't drivers get out of their car, pull onto a sidewalk pass a cyclist LEGALLY using the lane and continue on the other side?

Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM

29,547 posts, read 26,589,537 times
Although I am in favor of these bike/scooter lanes, I don't want somebody slapping a bunch of planters in front of my house. A lot of us work hard to create beauty in our little slice of paradise and we don't need a bunch of clutter out front.

Old Yesterday, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Although I am in favor of these bike/scooter lanes, I don't want somebody slapping a bunch of planters in front of my house. A lot of us work hard to create beauty in our little slice of paradise and we don't need a bunch of clutter out front.
The thing is protected LIT lanes are not needed on slow, residential streets. Protected LIT lanes are needed on
Quote:
Streets on which bike lanes would cause many bicyclists to feel stress because of factors such as multiple lanes, high traffic volumes, high speed traffic, high demand for double parking, and high parking turnover.
https://nacto.org/publication/urban-...-cycle-tracks/
Also, you don't own the street in front of your house. Do you repair potholes, clogged stormdrains, curbs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or