Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 12:02 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom85 View Post
Thank you all for your prompt and informative responses.

I am into more unique/hipster restaurant/bar options although I don't consider myself a 'hipster'. I also enjoy more trendy offerings at times. For example, in NYC I like the Brooklyn Heights/Williamsburg area. Is the Buckhead Village area more 'commercial' vs. Town Brookhaven near the Costco? I realize Buckhead is is commercial to a degree but perhaps its offerings in terms of hangout locations might be more unique?

Additionally, I have heard great things about Midtown and Buckhead is a bit closer. The immediate Buckhead village are seems limited but a walkable area compared to the rest of Buckhead. Is the cafe/restaurant/bar area of Town Brookhaven very walkable and how are its offerings?

I would love to be near the Beltline but I was mapping out the commute on Google Maps using estimated times in the morning and evening and taking 78 seems to be less predictable.
Got it. So I think the areas around Virginia Highlands, the Beltline and Ponce City Market, Krog Street Market, would be the best fit for you. If you don't want to increase your commute by that degree, then you could go with the Buckhead village area. There are some interesting hole in the wall bars and some unique restaurants, from dives to fine dining. I think you will really like it. There's Peachtree Rd farmers market, bike shops, boutiques in Buckhead village. There are running clubs, Buckhead church (lot of people in your demo go there), and you are close to the intown neighborhoods mentioned above (but you would need to uber or drive).

I was thinking possibly Brookhaven along Dresden (near Haven Restaurant), not Town Brookhaven by the Costco. But I think Buckhead Village would be better, or bite the commute bullet and live further south as mentioned above, closer to the beltline trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 12:45 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Not correct. I-85 inbound in the afternoon can get difficult. That part of 285 gets backed up in both directions. That can cause problems on I-85 outside 285 (whether it does frequently I don't know).
That's what I said. "North of 85 coming south might get a little backed up [in the afternoons] from all the cars trying to get onto 285, but if you get a PeachPass and use those lanes, you should be able to breeze right past everyone."

Quote:
But I-85 definitely does stop starting between N. Druid Hills and Clairmont in the afternoons. Both exits frequently get backed up onto the freeway. That last stretch from Clairmont to 400 can be very slow. The alternatives like Buford Highway aren't very good.
In all the years I've been coming down 85 South in the afternoons, I have rarely had to stop before the 400 merge. Now...trying to get on 400N might back up a little bit, but it's never seemed too awful as I fly by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I second this. I-85 South in the afternoon often does get backed up despite it being a reverse commute.
It does. But, if he's not going to 285, then he can take the PeachPass lanes and not have to worry as much about that. And once he passes 285, it's wide open until 400.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:29 PM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
That's what I said. "North of 85 coming south might get a little backed up [in the afternoons] from all the cars trying to get onto 285, but if you get a PeachPass and use those lanes, you should be able to breeze right past everyone."

In all the years I've been coming down 85 South in the afternoons, I have rarely had to stop before the 400 merge. Now...trying to get on 400N might back up a little bit, but it's never seemed too awful as I fly by.

It does. But, if he's not going to 285, then he can take the PeachPass lanes and not have to worry as much about that. And once he passes 285, it's wide open until 400.
It starts backing up about 4:00. Sometimes it doesn't slow down until you get near 400. But it frequently backs up further than that, largely because of those two exits (Clairmont and N. Druid Hills). If you are in the HOV lane you can almost always get within a half mile or so of the Lindberg exit before slowing down, and its usually just a 1 or 2 minute delay. But that is HOV/not PeachPass.

Old 08-19-2019, 06:53 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
It starts backing up about 4:00. Sometimes it doesn't slow down until you get near 400. But it frequently backs up further than that, largely because of those two exits (Clairmont and N. Druid Hills). If you are in the HOV lane you can almost always get within a half mile or so of the Lindberg exit before slowing down, and its usually just a 1 or 2 minute delay. But that is HOV/not PeachPass.
Eh, okay. It must die back down before 5:30-6:00. I have very, very rarely been affected as far back as even the flyover bridge.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:04 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Ok, I'll bite....

What job in Lawrenceville pays $400k?????

Old 08-20-2019, 06:23 AM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Just go for the Eastside belt line. It is what youre really appreciate.

Take US78 east. Take the exist for high Howell road and drive five forks Rd into Lawrenceville.

This is a long drive, but will be easy and scenic on a reverse commute w/o too many back ups.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:20 AM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Eh, okay. It must die back down before 5:30-6:00. I have very, very rarely been affected as far back as even the flyover bridge.
I was on it almost every day for years. But it was rarely as late as 6:00.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:07 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,995,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Ok, I'll bite....

What job in Lawrenceville pays $400k?????
I'm going to guess MD at Gwinnett Medical Center.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:27 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Good call. I didn't realize how fast some of the specialty salaries have been rising in recent years.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:09 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,353,338 times
You are going to have a reverse commute to Gwinnett from inside the city. Half the people on here are giving you bad advice. I drive from Candler Park to Suwanee and it is a breeze in the mornings. The afternoons can be difficult at times but that is where knowing all the side and cut through streets are and makes a huge difference. No reason to go all the way down to the connector in the evenings I jump off at either Clairmont, N Druid Hills, or Cheshire Bridge and weave my way in. I don't have a Peach Pass haven't had the need for one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta