U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 01:41 PM

29,566 posts, read 26,624,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Because you have to or want to keep working?
Yep, I'm almost as busy now as ever. You've gotta stay active with something or you'll go stale. Take Trump or Biden or Bernie. They're no spring chickens but they're up and at 'em every day.

I've got miles to go before I sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 11:56 AM

95 posts, read 25,203 times
How does forgiving student loans (or at least some amount of them) make your way of life worse? Most arguments I've seen against it are "I had to pay student loans and my life sucked so new grads and future students lives should also suck."

I don't even have student loans and I'm for it assuming it will get paid for mainly by the upper class.

Old 08-25-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLUTD View Post
How does forgiving student loans (or at least some amount of them) make your way of life worse? Most arguments I've seen against it are "I had to pay student loans and my life sucked so new grads and future students lives should also suck."

I don't even have student loans and I'm for it assuming it will get paid for mainly by the upper class.
I am okay with the upper class paying for it, but here's the part I don't get. Say you get the HOPE and go to Georgia State, Kennesaw State, UGA, Tech or any of our other fine state universities. How do you wind up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt after four years?

Old 08-25-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I am okay with the upper class paying for it, but here's the part I don't get. Say you get the HOPE and go to Georgia State, Kennesaw State, UGA, Tech or any of our other fine state universities. How do you wind up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt after four years?
Oh no, I completely agree. Even if you lose HOPE/Zell, you still are out $40k at like the absolute max after 4 years. That's an amazing deal for a Bachelors degree. Housing and food is where things get tricky. Housing should run you about $8000/yr in Atlanta and food let's go with $2400/yr. A full-time job in the summers should be able to net you some money to pay your year's worth of food and housing. Loans or a part time job during the school year should be able to cover the rest. Unpaid internships should be illegal.

Old 08-25-2019, 01:08 PM

3,256 posts, read 1,514,526 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Quote:
Oh no, I completely agree. Even if you lose HOPE/Zell, you still are out $40k at like the absolute max after 4 years. That's an amazing deal for a Bachelors degree. Housing and food is where things get tricky. Housing should run you about $8000/yr in Atlanta and food let's go with $2400/yr. A full-time job in the summers should be able to net you some money to pay your year's worth of food and housing. Loans or a part time job during the school year should be able to cover the rest. Unpaid internships should be illegal.

1) You hit the nail on the head.

2) Not everyone who gets into GSU and KSU has HOPE and so it could be that the first two years they go to school they have to draw out a loan and then when they transfer to the schools you listed, they become eligible for it. I would answer your question by saying auto loans, dorms, etc., are being paid for partially by student loans or maybe all of the student loan is being used.

3) Yes, they should be especially if the companies are not non-profit. In this day and age it's unbelievable such a thing is still legal. I would add this to one of the reasons why students are having to rely on loans. Many internships are unpaid. Some students also study abroad and even though there are scholarships for some (mostly need-based), it only covers a small fraction. There are many reasons I suppose.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:49 PM

5,509 posts, read 3,896,308 times
Quote:

If this is such a great idea, shouldnít every taxpayer have some skin in the game?

Old 08-25-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
If this is such a great idea, shouldn’t every taxpayer have some skin in the game?
They do have skin in the game -- they are getting free education out of it.

I don't see why I should be paying for it when Mr. Bezos is earning $10 billion a year pressing 3 buttons on his ETrade account and only using a tiny fraction of his earnings every year. I need the expendable money a lot more than he seems to.

Do you earn 7 figures a year? Why do you care if I tax Arthur Blank hard? Ronald Reagan was trash and I have no shame in calling him the worst President of all time for his egregiously awful (and honestly, maybe not explicitly but implicitly racist in effect) tax cut policies.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:41 AM

5,509 posts, read 3,896,308 times
Quote:

I don't see why I should be paying for it when Mr. Bezos is earning $10 billion a year pressing 3 buttons on his ETrade account and only using a tiny fraction of his earnings every year. I need the expendable money a lot more than he seems to.

Do you earn 7 figures a year? Why do you care if I tax Arthur Blank hard? Ronald Reagan was trash and I have no shame in calling him the worst President of all time for his egregiously awful (and honestly, maybe not explicitly but implicitly racist in effect) tax cut policies.
You’re right. In fact, I’d take it a step further and enact a 90% income tax on any earnings over $100,000/year. Since that’s probably the only way we could actually afford to do this and the GND.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:33 AM

Maybe we should tap into some of these pro athletes and entertainers, too. You could pay for a lot of student loans with that money.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:01 AM

5,692 posts, read 4,224,856 times
Quote:

The problem is you want to have someone else pay for it. Mr bezos didnít always have that much money. He built up A business. You should do the same, not ask others to pay for your way.
How do you figure everyone has skin in the game? Plenty of people arenít getting a free education as you say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or