U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:38 AM

3,860 posts, read 986,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
If you are making $40,000 a year, and want to live in a big city, you need a roommate. Fact. Do young people today think they get their own private apartment? Serious question. In the 90s we lived crammed into places--I'm talking 7 people in a 3 bedroom. Same in the 70s and 80s: Laverne & Shirley, Three's Company, Bosom Buddies. If Tom Hanks can find a roommate so can you.
The fact that it is even an apartment (multifamily housing in general) *** IS *** the compromise. It shouldn't have to go any further than that for someone making nearly 3X the federal minimum wage *** AND *** working 40 hours each week.

This would be a screaming deal for those wanting to live ITP. If it's the area I'm thinking of, you're on the other side of 85 near Buckhead and Atlantic Station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:54 PM

2,250 posts, read 3,560,544 times
How the hell is $1100 a month for an apartment working class???? I mean is it a 4 bedroom apartment or something? I'm working class and that's high as hell for me if thats the starting point for a one bedroom.

Old Today, 05:01 PM

2,250 posts, read 3,560,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
If you are making $40,000 a year, and want to live in a big city, you need a roommate. Fact. Do young people today think they get their own private apartment? Serious question. In the 90s we lived crammed into places--I'm talking 7 people in a 3 bedroom. Same in the 70s and 80s: Laverne & Shirley, Three's Company, Bosom Buddies. If Tom Hanks can find a roommate so can you.
This is nonsense. 7 years ago I was making 40k and lived in a nice apartment in Smyrna for $600 a month. I lived just fine on my own. The problem is that all of these property owners are jacking up the price of rent because those same units go for $1100 a month now and they aren't even renovated. The cost of living is the whole reason so many people flocked here in the last 20 years and its also the same reason so many people are choosing other metro areas now. Rent has literally doubled here in many places just in the last 10 years. Even those trashy complexes in Marietta on Terrill Mill are charging ridiculous $900+ prices when just 3 years ago they were $500-600. If we were talking about NYC, LA,, San Fran, etc then sure. But ATL was NEVER like that until recently. All it's going to do is create more sprawl and more hellish traffic.

Old Today, 05:30 PM

3,860 posts, read 986,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
This is nonsense. 7 years ago I was making 40k and lived in a nice apartment in Smyrna for $600 a month. I lived just fine on my own. The problem is that all of these property owners are jacking up the price of rent because those same units go for $1100 a month now and they aren't even renovated. The cost of living is the whole reason so many people flocked here in the last 20 years and its also the same reason so many people are choosing other metro areas now. Rent has literally doubled here in many places just in the last 10 years. Even those trashy complexes in Marietta on Terrill Mill are charging ridiculous $900+ prices when just 3 years ago they were $500-600. If we were talking about NYC, LA,, San Fran, etc then sure. But ATL was NEVER like that until recently. All it's going to do is create more sprawl and more hellish traffic.
What was the apartment complex in Smyrna that had the Starbucks on the ground floor? I remember these being around $900/mo roundabout 2016.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or