Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 11:53 AM

29 posts, read 35,795 times

Advertisements

Has the neighborhood improved in the past year in terms of crime? I have driven around the area a lot and I feel safer there than driving around in Adair Park/West End (I compare to those two areas because all are proposed as up and coming).

I have heard from a couple real estate agents that the area is being bought up by investors, is that true? I want to buy my first home in the area and am wondering if I stand a chance if that's true that the area is being bought up by experienced investors. As a first time home buyer I find it intimidating to go knocking on doors asking if any neighbors are selling (that was the advice given by one real estate agent).

Last question, would Peoplestown be too difficult to buy in for a first time home buyer? I mean that in the sense of having to seriously fix up a place. I don't have much experience in terms of home issues and knowing how much they cost or knowing what contractors to work with etc. I am very much willing to put in the extra work and learn if there is a deal to be had though. My fear would be buying a house and getting in over my head with extra costs to fix everything or things that could be beyond fixable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 06:04 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,855 times
Peoplestown is currently still peoplestown. There is a ton of blight, a high population of low income people, and higher crime than average. If you look at recent crime stats there have been some homicides in the neighborhood in the last year. It's definitely not a place I'd be comfortable living.

That said, if you can handle it and get a ton of security I think it's one of the best investments in the city. As grant Park expands and becomes more desirable, that gentrfication will spread around it, including to peoplestown which is only a few blocks to the west. In addition, a huge chunk of peoplestown was the Turner stadium but that has been sold to Georgia State and they have some interesting plans to turn it into a mixed use development with retail and housing, so that will be a huge catalyst. Even sooner the Beacon Atlanta will be opening soon right on the peoplestown and grant park border which has many interesting shops and will likely be another big gentrfication catalyst. So, it's a smart buy most likely if you can wait, but you will have to wait.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:07 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Peoplestown is getting a lot of investment to reduce the amount of flooding during heavy rain events.
ArcGIS Web Application

Old 01-31-2017, 10:09 AM

123 posts, read 152,898 times
I live in Summerhill which is right next door to Peoplestown. A lot of old homes are being torn down and a lot of brand new homes are being built. The area is changing rapidly with all that's going on regarding the Turner Field redevelopment.

I feel very safe in Summerhill, however, I will say that the closer you get to Turner Field and into Peoplestown, it's not very nice. At least not right now. I imagine a lot is going to change over the next 5 years.

If you're going to buy in this area, now is the time to do it.

If you don't have experience with contractors and home renovations or don't have a whole lot of extra cash in your pocket, maybe look for an older home that's been recently renovated. I lucked out on my house. It was being sold by a developer. We low-balled him and he took our first offer. Now we're putting even more work and money into the house and having a great time doing it.

Good luck on your search!

Old 01-31-2017, 12:02 PM

29 posts, read 35,795 times
Thank you all for the input. Anyone have a realtor that specializes in summerhill/peoplestown area?

Old 08-27-2019, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,520 times
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I was just curious to see how things turned out for you! Did you end up buying in Peoplestown or elsewhere? Did you come across any good realtors/contractors along the way?

(I'm looking into Summerhill)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: