U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 02:38 PM

10,812 posts, read 7,667,061 times

Advertisements

Can we please legalize shelters everywhere?

If someone / an organization wants to provide a shelter to folks that should be a God-given right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 05:43 PM

572 posts, read 197,150 times
Homes for the homeless: Atlanta reaches goal of raising $50 million

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms on Wednesday announced that the city had reached its goal of raising $50 million to provide 550 homes for the city’s homeless population..."

FULL STORY: https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...nHUo65bNTpzjL/

SOURCE: AJC

Old 08-21-2019, 07:46 PM

3,284 posts, read 1,526,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
Homes for the homeless: Atlanta reaches goal of raising $50 million

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms on Wednesday announced that the city had reached its goal of raising $50 million to provide 550 homes for the city’s homeless population..."

FULL STORY: https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...nHUo65bNTpzjL/

SOURCE: AJC

That's pretty awesome.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Thanks Reaganomics

This is a good point. He got rid of a lot of the funding that went into affordable homes.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:49 AM

And another thing, with home health aids, something better be done quickly because the US is going to be in deep crap when even more baby boomers retire. In some states for private they are paying about 5 times what the lady in this article is making per hour due to a severe worker shortage. I must say that this is in part due to younger workers leaving certain states but still.

And these aren't professions that don't require certification. People are having to become certified these days in many states or not be able to obtain work/remain employed. What a slap in the face to have to obtain certification and see zero pay increase afterwards. You should see how wealthy some of these families are and they're not even hiring these people as employees. They are contractors and making $12 an hour. Ridiculous!
Long-term care lol...the bleep is going to hit the ceiling fan really fast. The US is not prepared in the slightest.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:43 PM

3,901 posts, read 1,011,682 times
Making owning Section 8 properties less of a headache could increase affordable housing supply.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:20 PM

2,254 posts, read 3,566,741 times
I don't think a lot of people understand just how easy it is for this to happen to people. Those that couldnt afford college and didn't have the skill to pick up a high paying trade... those making $14-15 dollars an hour even. I've seen it happen to people myself. At a point 10 years ago where they were able to afford a reasonable apartment for $600 a month and those same units are $1000 a month now. And yes, sure, you could always move to some roach infested, crime filled apartment in the ghetto but some people would rather just live in their car than live like that. As hard as it may be for many to believe, everyone just isn't cut out to get an IT or engineering degree or have the luxury of being married or having someone that they can split expenses with. If it weren't for the fact that I have family that supported me I could've been there myself at one point when I got laid off. There are far more people in this country that live check to check than those that have a nice 401k and healthy bank account. Lots out there don't understand this. Could be one health issue out of nowhere that could put thousands on the streets. It's real out here.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:55 AM

29,602 posts, read 26,673,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I don't think a lot of people understand just how easy it is for this to happen to people. Those that couldnt afford college and didn't have the skill to pick up a high paying trade... those making $14-15 dollars an hour even. I've seen it happen to people myself. At a point 10 years ago where they were able to afford a reasonable apartment for $600 a month and those same units are $1000 a month now. And yes, sure, you could always move to some roach infested, crime filled apartment in the ghetto but some people would rather just live in their car than live like that. As hard as it may be for many to believe, everyone just isn't cut out to get an IT or engineering degree or have the luxury of being married or having someone that they can split expenses with. If it weren't for the fact that I have family that supported me I could've been there myself at one point when I got laid off. There are far more people in this country that live check to check than those that have a nice 401k and healthy bank account. Lots out there don't understand this. Could be one health issue out of nowhere that could put thousands on the streets. It's real out here.
No doubt about it.

And for folks who want to live in the city proper, that's becoming more and more of a distant dream.

Unless you can ante up half a million or more for starters, there won't be a seat at the table.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:52 AM

146 posts, read 293,212 times
I've noticed this working homless issue in Atlanta on a personal level. I moved here from Raleigh, NC and because I'm staying in an extended stay hotel, I quickly noticed how many families are living long term at the hotel. While talking to many of my neighbors, I've heard the same thing "Why did you move here? It's expensive here. We're thinking about moving north to Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, or Greensboro North Carolina."

Maybe it's just me, but the job that moved me to this state barely pays enough to rent an apartment in metro Atlanta. I assumed because I was getting a raise, my family and I will live more comfortably, but now I see the raise was to barley make ends-meet in metro Atlanta.

Long story short, I see a massive disconnect. The wealthy metro Atlanta inhabitants are buying homes at ridiculous prices (ridiculous by my terms) while the working class residents are working 3 jobs and still struggling. What happened to Atlanta? Was it the influx of Hollywood that caused the massive boom in the cost of living? As a New Yorker, that moved to Raleigh, and now lives in Atlanta, I see Atlanta will eventually in a decade will have a comparable cost of living to that of Brooklyn New York, Manhattan, or Suffolk County (Long Island).

Old 09-01-2019, 12:34 PM

5,313 posts, read 3,412,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takealready View Post
Was it the influx of Hollywood that caused the massive boom in the cost of living?
The industry is big. It's not big enough to cause a massive shift to the cost of living of an entire city, much less metro area. We're only a few thousand people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or