U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 11:59 AM

810 posts, read 418,515 times

Advertisements

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...2O5h0Z1hiBLsK/

I just can't wrap my head around this crime. This woman had a charmed life--rich and with two gorgeous and accomplished children just starting their adult lives. She seemed to love them and was enjoying their company up to the end.

So why??? I guess she suffered from severe depression or some other mental illness, but I don't think I've ever heard of another murder-suicide by a woman under these circumstances.

I suppose we'll get details as the investigation moves forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 12:18 PM

2,407 posts, read 945,043 times
We probably dont know the full details on this ladies personality and the way she really treated her children. Only what the media wants you to see. That and wealth does not always = happiness.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:29 PM

Yeah, it is so true that money doesn't always buy happiness. Also true that you can't judge a person's happiness based on their social media posts. She posted an envy-inducing picture of her and her kids the day she murdered them.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:38 PM

3,267 posts, read 1,520,061 times
I'm not shocked by the fact that this murder by gun was a domestic incident. People often think guns keep people safe but many times victims are women and killed by a boyfriend/husband. Pretty surprised to hear that a woman did this. It's usually the opposite.

Old 08-23-2019, 01:52 PM

4,274 posts, read 3,652,654 times
This is really sad, the kids were beautiful. I wish people regardless of who they are get professional mental help when needed.

Old 08-23-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
This is really sad, the kids were beautiful. I wish people regardless of who they are get professional mental help when needed.
The sad truth is most people with mental health problems do not want to accept the fact that they need help so they let the problems go unhindered and its blossoms into a horrible ending.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:15 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,784,344 times
I was shocked that the children were young adults and not youth. Often you hear the logic of why someone kills their children is that they believe they would be better off dead then living with the loss of the parent. I kind of understand where that thought process comes from but it totally does not make sense with young adults.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I was shocked that the children were young adults and not youth. Often you hear the logic of why someone kills their children is that they believe they would be better off dead then living with the loss of the parent. I kind of understand where that thought process comes from but it totally does not make sense with young adults.
You'd be surprised. Controlling parents are a very real thing.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:45 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,563,611 times
Unfortunately in the black community, treatment for mental health issues is a stigma. Black people in the south are so deep rooted in religion that when there are issues you usually just get "pray about it" or "let me pray for you." I had severe anxiety issues when I was younger and that's basically all I ever got from my parents. Take me to church and have them to pray for me which of course did nothing to help me. Wasn't until I broke away from the church that I actually decided to talk to my doctor about it and at that point I was in my 30's. One recommendation for a medication by him and i'm able to live normally without overly stressing about any and everything. Id lived my life like that for so long that I didn't even know how to act just feeling normal.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:27 AM

I've been searching the web for the inside scoop on this family. I was hoping to find that the mom was a narcissist and the kids were spoiled privileged brats--anything to explain how something this horrible could have happened. So far, I can find nothing. The children have both been described as very sweet, hardworking and ambitious. The mom apparently had a close relationship with them.

Someone who claimed to know them on another forum said that the ex husband and the mom had been divorced for years. He was said to be a womanizer, but since they had already been divorced for so long I don't see how that could be a factor. Although she was very accomplished in her own right, the mother was described as being a stepford wife type.

The only clue I could find is that the woman's mother had passed away recently. Perhaps that brought on major depression? She had put up a facebook post about it. I'm thinking that since she was so accomplished, she might have been more motivated to keep up appearances. I know I'm reaching but nothing else seems to make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Unfortunately in the black community, treatment for mental health issues is a stigma. Black people in the south are so deep rooted in religion that when there are issues you usually just get "pray about it" or "let me pray for you." I had severe anxiety issues when I was younger and that's basically all I ever got from my parents. Take me to church and have them to pray for me which of course did nothing to help me. Wasn't until I broke away from the church that I actually decided to talk to my doctor about it and at that point I was in my 30's. One recommendation for a medication by him and i'm able to live normally without overly stressing about any and everything. Id lived my life like that for so long that I didn't even know how to act just feeling normal.
Thanks for sharing this. It is a huge problem for our community. You definitely can't pray away a brain imbalance any more than a diabetic can use prayer in place of insulin. I also suffered for years with depression just thinking feeling that way was normal. I wish mental illness weren't so stigmatized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or