U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 11:20 PM

5,284 posts, read 3,399,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
Concerts? Festivals? Diverse high-end dining? Nightlife for young singles? The burbs just don't have the amenities. To each their own, but don't act as if there is as much to do in the burbs as there is in the city.
I thought we were talking about families, especially since you were arguing about kids in a 2-bedroom condo in Midtown. Families generally care little about "high-end dining". In fact, most people don't care about high-end dining. Families do't give two craps about nightlife for young singles. Concerts and festivals? Those happen everywhere. And since it's not like there's a big festival every weekend, it's not like people can't travel in to them.

There's more stuff to do in the city, but there's no shortage of stuff to do in the suburbs, especially family-related. I live five miles from midtown inside CoA limits and we rarely ever come into town as a family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Easily the greatest advantage of living in the city for my children is that my wife and I have two extra hours in the day to spend with them. Compared to that, any other advantage is just a bonus, and any disadvantages are just a minor nuisance.
This all depends where you live, obviously. You can easily get between Midtown or Downtown to Smyrna or Mabelton in about the same time you can get between Midtown and Kirkwood. Most of the western and northwestern inner suburbs are easily reachable in little time. For example, when I used to take the kid to camp in Kirkwood from NW Atlanta, it took 25 minutes for me to get there, and 45 minutes to get back in the mornings. The trip from Kirkwood to Downtown was excruciating.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:45 AM

553 posts, read 417,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgpremed13 View Post
I wanna say, no. Just no. I guess it depends on what suburb you are talking about but generally, no.
Of course you want to say no. Reality, however, says you are living in denial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Easily the greatest advantage of living in the city for my children is that my wife and I have two extra hours in the day to spend with them. Compared to that, any other advantage is just a bonus, and any disadvantages are just a minor nuisance.
This is an excellent point. It’s generally a great choice to live close to where you work if possible. It’s the reason my family lives where we do.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:03 PM

103 posts, read 26,209 times
A quick look and East Cobb houses are going for about $200/sqft. You can do $200/sqft for a freshly renovated place in Atlanta but it won't be the nicest neighborhoods or have the most features/amenities...still better than Marietta.

Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM

3,895 posts, read 1,000,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLUTD View Post
A quick look and East Cobb houses are going for about $200/sqft. You can do $200/sqft for a freshly renovated place in Atlanta but it won't be the nicest neighborhoods or have the most features/amenities...still better than Marietta.
In which ways do you mean?

Old Today, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLUTD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Yeah...I'm kind of curious about this, too. Marietta is a pretty amenity-packed suburb. For what it's worth, I live closer to Midtown than I do the center of Smyrna or Marietta, but spend much more time in Smyrna and Marietta than I do Midtown.

Old Today, 03:39 PM

3,895 posts, read 1,000,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Yeah...I'm kind of curious about this, too. Marietta is a pretty amenity-packed suburb. For what it's worth, I live closer to Midtown than I do the center of Smyrna or Marietta, but spend much more time in Smyrna and Marietta than I do Midtown.
Interesting! Do you experience less traffic commuting outwards?

Old Today, 04:12 PM

103 posts, read 26,209 times
Quote:
I meant amenities-wise. Everything I want to do in my spare time is in the city. There are things to do in Marietta for sure and some people may find them more in-taste but that's not the case for me.

Old Today, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Interesting! Do you experience less traffic commuting outwards?
It's pretty much the same. Just more stuff that appeals to us as a family up there, and it's just easier to deal with. I don't work up there, so it's not a regular commute.

Old Today, 06:40 PM

15,390 posts, read 27,698,858 times
Well here we are once again with another thread about housing prices on the decline that has gone off topic. There are several threads on this topc. Feel free to continue general chit chat on the chat thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or