U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which commuter line would you build first?
Austell-Douglasville 0 0%
Austell-Rockmart, possibly Rome 0 0%
Vinings-Marietta-Cartersville 5 10.00%
Vinings-Marietta-Canton 14 28.00%
Norcross-Buford-Gainesville 14 28.00%
Lawrenceville-Winder, possibly Athens 7 14.00%
Stone Mountain-Conyers-Covington 2 4.00%
Stockbridge-McDonough 0 0%
Jonesboro-Griffin 4 8.00%
Union City-Senoia 0 0%
Union City-Newnan 4 8.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 06:33 AM

5,529 posts, read 3,918,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
East Cobb would fight any type of public transportation coming through there with every bit of blood sweat and tears that they have.
Which is funny because East Cobb never had any shot of rail service even going near there. No one cared when CCT ran buses down 120 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 09:49 AM

13,756 posts, read 22,284,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
East Cobb would fight any type of public transportation coming through there with every bit of blood sweat and tears that they have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Which is funny because East Cobb never had any shot of rail service even going near there. No one cared when CCT ran buses down 120 years ago.
A commuter rail line would only go through the western edge of East Cobb—in the Canton Road corridor.

I don’t think it would be “fought” like you say.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:19 AM

6,399 posts, read 3,528,082 times
And there doesn't even really need to be a station between Marietta and Woodstock. I was thinking maybe one at the Piedmont Rd/ Sandy Plains area near Canton Rd, which isn't really East Cobb that much, it's more like North Cobb.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
And there doesn't even really need to be a station between Marietta and Woodstock. I was thinking maybe one at the Piedmont Rd/ Sandy Plains area near Canton Rd, which isn't really East Cobb that much, it's more like North Cobb.
That's East Cobb (extreme southwest) and Northeast Marietta.

A commuter rail line would definitely need a station or two in the Canton Road Corridor:

Marietta
(maybe one in/at Elizabeth or south Bells Ferry Road)
Sandy Plains
Piedmont Road
(maybe one in/at Blackwell)
Noonday
Hwy 92
Woodstock

Old 08-28-2019, 02:22 PM

6,399 posts, read 3,528,082 times
I'm just saying, if there's community opposition from the East Cobb weirdos, just skip that station, not the line itself. Marietta and Woodstock walkable downtowns would benefit so immensely from passenger rail stops, and I think the leadership of those cities would like the idea.

The downtown stops shouldn't be controversial as they're not in the middle of nice SFH areas and quiet suburbia, they're located at the heart of a lot of retail and offices and mainly higher density multi-family residential if any.

Old 08-28-2019, 03:18 PM

10 posts, read 2,589 times
I would think the Norcross-Buford-Gainesville line would be the easiest to implement as Amtrak already runs that route and the rail line runs right through the downtowns of plenty of Gwinnett cities. Just would need to find a way to increase frequency and add some stops. Also I've seen some articles over the past few years on Amtrak looking to move its current Atlanta station which could open an opportunity to connect this directly with Marta.

I'm still pretty surprised that the Gwinnett transit plan completely ignored that option. Kind of sad to think about, there's an existing passenger train that runs through Buford, Suwanee, Duluth, Norcross, Gainesville downtowns (and more in the other direction) and passes Doraville/Lenox/Brookhaven Marta Stations today, but we haven't done anything to make it useful for people that live here.

https://www.amtrak.com/services/maps.trainlocation.html

Old 08-28-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I'm just saying, if there's community opposition from the East Cobb weirdos, just skip that station, not the line itself. Marietta and Woodstock walkable downtowns would benefit so immensely from passenger rail stops, and I think the leadership of those cities would like the idea.

The downtown stops shouldn't be controversial as they're not in the middle of nice SFH areas and quiet suburbia, they're located at the heart of a lot of retail and offices and mainly higher density multi-family residential if any.
I don’t think y’all understand or know that part of East Cobb—

It is the more middle class part that feeds into Sprayberry and Kell. The western fringes.

Moreover, I think East Cobbers would adore having commuter rail options that can be accessed via Sandy Plains Road, Piedmont Road, Blackwell Road, Shallowford Road, and Jamerson Road. The very notion of commuter rail actually fits into what East Cobb is (a relatively close-in affluent, leafy suburb).

Old 08-28-2019, 07:00 PM
bu2

10,328 posts, read 6,644,500 times
Jonesboro-Griffin makes sense as the start of an Atlanta-Macon-Savannah-Jacksonville intercity rail line. It also is not along a freeway and extends the proposed Clayton County line.

The only other one of those lines that makes the tiniest bit of sense is Vinings-Marietta-Cartersville. People elsewhere would be served better by express buses using HOT/HOV lanes. Most of these are very sparsely populated areas.

Old 08-29-2019, 06:14 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,016,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datdudebrah View Post
I'm still pretty surprised that the Gwinnett transit plan completely ignored that option. Kind of sad to think about, there's an existing passenger train that runs through Buford, Suwanee, Duluth, Norcross, Gainesville downtowns (and more in the other direction) and passes Doraville/Lenox/Brookhaven Marta Stations today, but we haven't done anything to make it useful for people that live here.
I don't disagree with what you've said here, and many people have been asking the same thing for years. The reality of that situation is that Norfolk Southern owns that rail line, and is very unlikely to share it with commuter rail service. Amtrak is allowed to operate its passenger service on NS's track, and they're supposed to have priority over freight operations, however that doesn't always happen. In re-visiting this topic just now, I saw news articles about a Twitter war between Amtrak and Norfolk Southern over delays in passenger service.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:40 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,182,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
Idk if this would count as commuter, but I would vote a line that went up to Alpharetta as #1.
Run a line all the way to Cumming city center off of 400. Would easily be the most traveled line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or