U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which commuter line would you build first?
Austell-Douglasville 0 0%
Austell-Rockmart, possibly Rome 0 0%
Vinings-Marietta-Cartersville 5 10.00%
Vinings-Marietta-Canton 14 28.00%
Norcross-Buford-Gainesville 14 28.00%
Lawrenceville-Winder, possibly Athens 7 14.00%
Stone Mountain-Conyers-Covington 2 4.00%
Stockbridge-McDonough 0 0%
Jonesboro-Griffin 4 8.00%
Union City-Senoia 0 0%
Union City-Newnan 4 8.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 06:11 AM

5,319 posts, read 4,362,134 times

Advertisements

Suppose we get the funding for one and only one commuter rail line, and the rail company that owns that line agrees to let the line come in. Which line would you build? All lines would start within walking distance of an existing MARTA station, probably but not necessarily Five Points downtown. Don't factor in whether you think a line is too short when voting, but feel free to say that that line should go farther. Also these are just line names and not to be taken as the only places where stops would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 08:01 AM

2,574 posts, read 996,575 times
In this order:
Norcross-Buford-Gainesville
Vinings-Marietta-Cartersville
Lawrenceville-Winder, possibly Athens
Union City-Newnan
Jonesboro-Griffin
Stockbridge-McDonough
Stone Mountain-Conyers-Covington

Old 08-25-2019, 09:25 AM

221 posts, read 96,041 times
Idk if this would count as commuter, but I would vote a line that went up to Alpharetta as #1.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:36 AM

3,842 posts, read 1,356,775 times
My thinking is that Cobb and Gwinnett counties deserve and will get HRT, give the higher population density that will be served (thus the need for more stops and more frequent service), and the fact that they will likely join MARTA within the next few years.

Commuter rail is more so for long distance transportation through rural areas to/from far-flug bedroom communities or satellite cities. The trains only run during rush hour (at a higher speed than HRT) with very limited stops.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:42 AM

6,399 posts, read 3,528,082 times
Downtown Atlanta-> Westside Atlanta-> Vinings area-> Cumberland-> Smyrna-> Marietta-> I-75-> East Cobb-> Woodstock-> Canton, is my answer for sure.

For one, because State of Georgia (not CSX or NS) actually owns the main line there at least between Marietta and Atlanta, and I think also the other line that goes up to Canton, but not sure there. CSX are just leasing it for usage rights.

For two, because Cherokee County is part of the ATL transit area, and Bartow County (Cartersville) is currently not. If the line was just for Cobb only then I think it should go to Acworth, but if it's for Cobb and Cherokee then it should go to Woodstock/Canton, and that just makes more sense and is more practical to justify it, serving 2 counties in 1 line.

Marietta Square and Downtown Woodstock especially would both be great station spots, I mean they're already very walkable TOD areas, without the T currently.

And the station at Cumberland Mall could be built to link over to the pedestrian bridges to the Battery/ Braves stadium.

All-around, it's just a no-brainer. Of course, Georgia has no brains, so.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:50 AM

6,399 posts, read 3,528,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
My thinking is that Cobb and Gwinnett counties deserve and will get HRT, give the higher population density that will be served (thus the need for more stops and more frequent service), and the fact that they will likely join MARTA within the next few years.

Commuter rail is more so for long distance transportation through rural areas to/from far-flug bedroom communities or satellite cities. The trains only run during rush hour (at a higher speed than HRT) with very limited stops.
I think for cost savings, disruption, image and perception and suburban character, general practicality, and construction time purposes, we really need to combine the 2 (HRT and CRT). into kind of a hybrid of the 2 type of service, as the best way to serve Cobb and Gwinnett. Cobb especially since it doesn't have a MARTA line at its doorstep ready to be extended (except for the Six Flags area).

I envision frequent DMU-based commuter rail, that runs every 15 minutes at peak hours and maybe 30 minutes off hours.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:48 PM

3,738 posts, read 8,934,040 times
Does this mean instead of the already planned Clayton County line? Since I see that is one of the poll options. I'd say the next one should be to Canton or at least Kennesaw via Cumberland, Vinings, and Marietta.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:39 PM

5,352 posts, read 4,105,186 times
Gainesville gets us a semi-regional rail service that should prove the viability of inter-city connections as Gainesville is a city in its own right, but isn't too far out (~55 miles). I think maybe half the service terminates at Suwanee while the remainder continues to Gainesville.

Though a Covington line would probably be lowish hanging fruit given there are only two through trains per day (one each way) plus two locals. But the signaling isn't adequate for passenger service so that would have to be upgraded which may change what is "low-hanging fruit." Additionally, it's all single track with possibly limited areas for double track which would limit service potential.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:01 PM

7,932 posts, read 12,279,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
Idk if this would count as commuter, but I would vote a line that went up to Alpharetta as #1.
One problem with this plan: There is no existing rail lines in Alpharetta or the rest of northern Fulton county beyond MARTA, believe it or not. The best they could ever hope for is an extension of the red line along 400.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:04 PM

2,259 posts, read 3,571,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Downtown Atlanta-> Westside Atlanta-> Vinings area-> Cumberland-> Smyrna-> Marietta-> I-75-> East Cobb-> Woodstock-> Canton, is my answer for sure.

For one, because State of Georgia (not CSX or NS) actually owns the main line there at least between Marietta and Atlanta, and I think also the other line that goes up to Canton, but not sure there. CSX are just leasing it for usage rights.

For two, because Cherokee County is part of the ATL transit area, and Bartow County (Cartersville) is currently not. If the line was just for Cobb only then I think it should go to Acworth, but if it's for Cobb and Cherokee then it should go to Woodstock/Canton, and that just makes more sense and is more practical to justify it, serving 2 counties in 1 line.

Marietta Square and Downtown Woodstock especially would both be great station spots, I mean they're already very walkable TOD areas, without the T currently.

And the station at Cumberland Mall could be built to link over to the pedestrian bridges to the Battery/ Braves stadium.

All-around, it's just a no-brainer. Of course, Georgia has no brains, so.
East Cobb would fight any type of public transportation coming through there with every bit of blood sweat and tears that they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or