U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2019, 06:43 AM

2 posts, read 132 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a new forum member; I have been checking some of the Decatur-based threads, but many of them were a few years old. In any event, I am planning to relocate to Decatur next year (from Augusta) for work purposes and I wanted some advice from people who live/lived in Decatur (either the Downtown area on the surrounding unincorporated area).

I plan on renting for a few years and eventually purchase a house. Anyway, from what I read, the 30030 zip code is the City of Decatur itself (I hope that is right) and that I should look for communities north of the city (closer to Emory University) in order to find the safer neighborhoods of the city. But I wanted to get some additional insight.

P.S. - I plan on visiting the area in January so that I scope it out first-hand. I just wanted to know what areas to consider (and which ones to avoid at all costs).

P.S.S. - The reason safety is very important to me is (1) I am relocating with another female relative and (2) I plan on having children in the next few years. I read that Decatur has some of the best schools in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 02:45 PM
bu2

10,270 posts, read 6,596,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecaturBoundGirl View Post
Hello,

I am a new forum member; I have been checking some of the Decatur-based threads, but many of them were a few years old. In any event, I am planning to relocate to Decatur next year (from Augusta) for work purposes and I wanted some advice from people who live/lived in Decatur (either the Downtown area on the surrounding unincorporated area).

I plan on renting for a few years and eventually purchase a house. Anyway, from what I read, the 30030 zip code is the City of Decatur itself (I hope that is right) and that I should look for communities north of the city (closer to Emory University) in order to find the safer neighborhoods of the city. But I wanted to get some additional insight.

P.S. - I plan on visiting the area in January so that I scope it out first-hand. I just wanted to know what areas to consider (and which ones to avoid at all costs).

P.S.S. - The reason safety is very important to me is (1) I am relocating with another female relative and (2) I plan on having children in the next few years. I read that Decatur has some of the best schools in the state.
Zip codes only correspond roughly to city limits.

Avoid areas south of the city limits. Schools and crime are bad.

The school district only includes the city limits so if you are north (or south), you will be in a different school district, Dekalb County. That area north of Decatur does have some good elementary schools, comparable to Decatur. However, the middle and high schools are not at the same level.

Parts of the city of Atlanta (which also has a city school district) are adjacent to the city of Decatur to the southwest.

Old Today, 06:14 AM

2 posts, read 132 times
Thank you SO much for your advice. I have no intention of considering anything south of the City of Decatur. Even though the houses are more affordable (and has what I am looking for), safety is my number one priority.

Old Today, 10:28 AM

5,273 posts, read 3,397,285 times
I think knowing what type of place you are looking for and, most importantly, your budget would really help the discussion.

Old Today, 12:44 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,840,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecaturBoundGirl View Post
Hello,

Anywhere Intown that has highly regarded schools is going to be relatively expensive—anything within the city limits of City of Decatur will have highly regarded schools. Just West/north-west of city of Decatur is Mary-Lin elementary in City of Atlanta —at this point K-12 its schools are comparable to Decatur. North and North-east of Decatur is unincorporated Dekalb County— Fernbank elementary and Laurel Ridge elementary—by current test scores they lag Decatur and Lin, especially as you reach middle and high school—though I believe that the recent drop in Fernbank’s scores is due to temporary zoning issues. Directly east of Decatur is Avondale Estates which has a poor elementary school, but it also has an excellent charter school, but you can’t be sure you can get your child in (upper grades it’s currently zoned for Druid Hills—same as Laurel and Fernbank). Of course, test scores don’t tell the whole story—my kids have done Lin Elementary—which I believe compares well with the best schools in the state, the school provides a warm environment, and in most ways has provided exactly what my kids needed for their learning—while the middle and high school’s test scores have largely caught up with Decatur’s, we have found their teachers a mixed bag (but, I just talked to a parent who wasn’t impressed with Decatur’s middle school—so who knows?). I hear similar things from folks in Decatur, and Fernbank, though I have met fewer folks zoned for Fernbank, and it’s been awhile since I met someone with kids at Laurel. Kirkwood is west/southwest of Decatur’s elementaries —while it’s schools work for some folks, it is not really comparable to Decatur at this point—I have heard mostly positive things about the high school from the only parent that I talked to with kids there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or