U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 06:20 PM

557 posts, read 192,781 times

Advertisements

Atlanta, in recent years, has earned the nickname “the Silicon Valley of the South.”

A survey released this summer by CB Richard Ellis reported that between 2013 and 2018, Atlanta added nearly 32,000 tech jobs. San Francisco was the only United States city that added more jobs.

But, what does it mean to be a ‘tech city’? And what does Atlanta bring to the table that Silicon Valley doesn’t?

Last week, “Closer Look with Rose Scott” took these statistics a step further and held conversations with industry leaders and tech workers about how Atlanta’s tech landscape has grown and where they hope to see it go in the future..."

FULL STORY: https://www.wabe.org/techweek/

SOURCE: Rose Scott/WABE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 07:00 PM

4,200 posts, read 6,081,109 times
Atlanta will continue to grow in the tech sector. I’ve worked for two Silicon Valley companies. All of them want to leave because of high taxes, poor business environments and lack of affordable housing for their employees. Places like Atlanta and a handful of other southern cities are the future for tech.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:30 PM

8,429 posts, read 10,402,454 times
Meh. Color me skeptical.

Do you know what parts of the U.S. can compete with Silicon Valley on taxes, business environment and lack of affordable housing? That's right... just about every single city in the U.S.

The only things that really make Atlanta stand out are Georgia Tech and the fact that you can get to NY, LA and SF on non-stop flights several times per day.

I think this write-up oversimplifies things and it reeks of PR.

Quote:
Atlanta, in recent years, has earned the nickname “the Silicon Valley of the South.”
That's dumb. I've never heard it called that anywhere outside Atlanta. Guess which other southern cities call themselves "Silicon Valley of the South?" That's right... almost all of them. In Alabama, they argue over whether it's Huntsville or Birmingham: https://www.al.com/business/2018/09/...thern_sil.html

U.S. News and World Report thinks it might be New Orleans: https://www.usnews.com/news/cities/a...nto-a-tech-hub

This list goes on and on. I've even heard places like Omaha, Nebraska try to brand themselves "Silicon Prairie." Detroit probably wants to be "Silicon Sewer." You get the idea....

Quote:
An 18-mile stretch of I-85 starting in Lagrange, Georgia has been called ‘the highway of the future.’
LOL, by who? I've never, ever, ever heard this. Guess who else never has? Everyone.

I guarantee you for every list you can find that ranks Atlanta among the top 10 American cities for tech startups, I can find one that ranks Nashville higher, one that ranks Charlotte higher, and 3 that don't list Atlanta at all.

The fact of the matter is, every American city wants to brand itself a viable alternative to Silicon Valley. Sure, we have a few incubators, accelerators, blah blah blah, but so does every city. The only things we have that most don't are GA Tech and the airport. But that only goes so far. Using history as a guide, Silicon Valley will remain the hub area for tech. There won't be any secondary hubs, it will just be spread out amongst a bunch of other secondary cities, as it is today. We're one of them. Just one of many. That's not going to change.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:40 PM

218 posts, read 91,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Meh. Color me skeptical.

The fact of the matter is, every American city wants to brand itself a viable alternative to Silicon Valley. Sure, we have a few incubators, accelerators, blah blah blah, but so does every city. The only things we have that most don't are GA Tech and the airport. But that only goes so far. Using history as a guide, Silicon Valley will remain the hub area for tech. There won't be any secondary hubs, it will just be spread out amongst a bunch of other secondary cities, as it is today. We're one of them. Just one of many. That's not going to change.
While I do agree that Atlanta is just one of multiple tech hubs in the US, I would agree that it has found a couple of niches in tech. Atlanta has solidified itself as a a top 3 hub for fintech. Everywhere you go in the metro there is a large fintech presence.

I also think you are undervaluing GA Tech by a little bit. Charlotte has been advertising UNC Charlotte like its the cats pajamas. However, GT and UNCC are not even comparable.You also have to remember that tech does not only iclude "computery" stuff. Emory and UGA both contribute to biotech and fintech as well. Atlanta's quality of universities can really on be rivalved by Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA, the Research Triangle, and the Bay Area.

Old Yesterday, 03:48 AM

4,270 posts, read 3,646,158 times
Atlanta also have a very large legal community and some legal companies use very powerful software and document management systems that requires IT workers. That will only grow since Georgia is introducing a Business Court next year. Everything is moving toward technology, even Court filings.

Great article from ABC.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...ere-s-why.html

Last edited by Atlwarrior; Yesterday at 03:59 AM..

Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,512,647 times
I agree with most of this. What I would add though is that Atlanta is unique in how it fosters a far more positive space for black people in tech. Other than this and Fintech, I don't really see the hype. I really would hate to see it get anywhere near Silicone Valley.

Quote:
Meh. Color me skeptical.

Do you know what parts of the U.S. can compete with Silicon Valley on taxes, business environment and lack of affordable housing? That's right... just about every single city in the U.S.

The only things that really make Atlanta stand out are Georgia Tech and the fact that you can get to NY, LA and SF on non-stop flights several times per day.

That's dumb. I've never heard it called that anywhere outside Atlanta. Guess which other southern cities call themselves "Silicon Valley of the South?" That's right... almost all of them. In Alabama, they argue over whether it's Huntsville or Birmingham: https://www.al.com/business/2018/09/...thern_sil.html

U.S. News and World Report thinks it might be New Orleans: https://www.usnews.com/news/cities/a...nto-a-tech-hub

This list goes on and on. I've even heard places like Omaha, Nebraska try to brand themselves "Silicon Prairie." Detroit probably wants to be "Silicon Sewer." You get the idea....

LOL, by who? I've never, ever, ever heard this. Guess who else never has? Everyone.

I guarantee you for every list you can find that ranks Atlanta among the top 10 American cities for tech startups, I can find one that ranks Nashville higher, one that ranks Charlotte higher, and 3 that don't list Atlanta at all.

Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM
bu2

10,252 posts, read 6,586,063 times
Quote:
Meh. Color me skeptical.

This is the first time I have ever heard it. Author must have made it up for the article. There's the Research Triangle and Austin. Those are what have the reputation in the South.

Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM
bu2

10,252 posts, read 6,586,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
While I do agree that Atlanta is just one of multiple tech hubs in the US, I would agree that it has found a couple of niches in tech. Atlanta has solidified itself as a a top 3 hub for fintech. Everywhere you go in the metro there is a large fintech presence.

I also think you are undervaluing GA Tech by a little bit. Charlotte has been advertising UNC Charlotte like its the cats pajamas. However, GT and UNCC are not even comparable.You also have to remember that tech does not only iclude "computery" stuff. Emory and UGA both contribute to biotech and fintech as well. Atlanta's quality of universities can really on be rivalved by Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA, the Research Triangle, and the Bay Area.
Or Philadelphia or DC. Maybe Pittsburg.

Old Yesterday, 08:52 AM

2,378 posts, read 933,543 times
Yeah, sorry not trying to degrade anything here but by standards of the rest of this countries major cities, Atlanta's tech sector is only about average. I will give them that they do have a good amount of tech companies (HPE, Cisco, NCR, IBM, ect) - but most of them also have branches in other metro's so it doesn't really stand out very much IMO.

DFW and Austin are currently the powerhouses of tech in the south.

For Fintech its Charlotte.

Also becareful what you wish for, the tech companies are the REASON California is so ridiculously expensive...If you're wanting them all to move to your metro you should also consider that - taxes will rise, housing costs will increase, and CoL sky rockets while the lower and middle class suffer and homelessness also increases.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; Yesterday at 09:01 AM..

Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM

30,240 posts, read 27,813,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric 0_0 View Post
Atlanta's quality of universities can really on be rivalved by Boston, NYC, Chicago, LA, the Research Triangle, and the Bay Area.
Philadelphia also but I'm not sure where it ranks with respect to tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Also becareful what you wish for, the tech companies are the REASON California is so ridiculously expensive...If you're wanting them all to move to your metro you should also consider that - taxes will rise, housing costs will increase, and CoL sky rockets while the lower and middle class suffer and homelessness also increases.
That doesn't explain the housing crisis that exists in southern California also. A lack of affordable housing is more of a nationwide issue in several of the nation's largest metros and it has to do with a chronic lack of housing supply. Dallas is avoiding this issue with a ton of new housing being added to the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or