U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2019, 01:59 PM

23,634 posts, read 17,857,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Sure, but look at the numbers. 80 rural systems with a total yearly ridership of 1.6 million, meaning 80 systems with a total daily ridership of about 4,400. That's 80 transit systems which added together serve fewer people than Wyman Street in your neighborhood, which isn't a busy street at all. All of the transit systems in Georgia serve fewer people than drive through just the connector each day (391,000 vs. over 400,000).

I'm just saying that doesn't warrant equal funding to a state-wide road network that serves probably over ten million people every day over a square mileage of nearly 60,000. Should it get more funding? Sure. Absolutely. Should it be equal? No way. If it were equal just because someone wants it that way, would it make financial sense? No. Would it be cool if it could be equal through more equal user fees? Heck yeah!
I would love to see the traffic count data you got those figures of Wyman St SE from.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 04:48 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,680,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Hmm...

Where & how within the COA city limits can the sfh numbers you are expressing concern over be increased so as to bring about more of a "..balance.." to use your word choice, with the large multi family unit permit numbers?

As has been noted here & in other previous threads, much of the current sfh construction in the City of Atlanta consists of replacement &/or infill housing.
I wonder if the ARC data considers townhomes multi-family or sfh. I've seen them counted both ways. And I don't think there are nearly enough of them being built but some of the multi-family permits are for condos. For the city to absorb the population growth it would like to, we are going to need a much more robust condo market.

Old 09-04-2019, 06:20 PM
bu2

10,290 posts, read 6,615,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
I wonder if the ARC data considers townhomes multi-family or sfh. I've seen them counted both ways. And I don't think there are nearly enough of them being built but some of the multi-family permits are for condos. For the city to absorb the population growth it would like to, we are going to need a much more robust condo market.
Atlanta seems pretty short on townhomes. Don't know if that is all government or if consumer demand is a factor (maybe people in the SE don't like them). If you limit the land available, you are going to have that limited land used for 5+1s and high rise condos.

They are a real alternative for someone who wants to live close in but can't afford SFH prices in good neighborhoods.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:22 PM

5,312 posts, read 3,410,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
That is really the main way this will happen. The current level of tax funding for cars is not sustainable. Expect a lot more tolls in the future. The remaining tax subsidies should be shifted to greener, healthier, safer, better for business, better urban design, more efficient, more equitable, and higher capacity alternatives. The government should want to encourage more of that and less car traffic.
...you do realize I was talking about increasing the user fees for transit to pay a closer share of their actual transit costs, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I would love to see the traffic count data you got those figures of Wyman St SE from.
Sure, no problem.

I took the number form the official GDOT traffic counts website. And here is the page specific to Wyman. It's possible they have listed it wrong, but the dot is on Wyman.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:30 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,680,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Atlanta seems pretty short on townhomes. Don't know if that is all government or if consumer demand is a factor (maybe people in the SE don't like them). If you limit the land available, you are going to have that limited land used for 5+1s and high rise condos.

They are a real alternative for someone who wants to live close in but can't afford SFH prices in good neighborhoods.

In the city proper, there seem to be hundreds of them in the pipeline at the moment. The vast majority of intown residential construction is apartments or townhomes.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM
bu2

10,290 posts, read 6,615,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
In the city proper, there seem to be hundreds of them in the pipeline at the moment. The vast majority of intown residential construction is apartments or townhomes.
I see lots of apartments, almost always the 5+1s. Haven't seen many townhomes. A couple new projects in Dekalb County, but that's all I've noticed.

Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM

5,312 posts, read 3,410,656 times
Quote:
I see lots of apartments, almost always the 5+1s. Haven't seen many townhomes. A couple new projects in Dekalb County, but that's all I've noticed.
Lots of townhome projects in NW Atlanta. Altus at the Quarter is huge, Westside Station has a few dozen, big one on Ellsworth, one planned on Huff, huge one finishing up over on James Jackson, pretty sure some are getting built in West Highlands. But also lots of apartments.

Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM

1,325 posts, read 650,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
There isn't the land to add more single family homes. Density from MFH is the wave of the future. Most SFH construction will be replacement... tear downs and rebuilds. That is if you are referring to CoA alone. But true for most of the suburbs until you get OTP.... and in the northern half, way on the O of the OTP.
There's PLENTY of land. What metro Atlanta lacks is PLENTY of mobility infrastructure to get TO the vacant land! Its THE most glaring problem for growth, with lack of a new water sources being second. You build more roads and/or commuter train lines, new housing stock can access land. Look at D/FW and the number of toll roads, highways, rail line additions of the past 20 years and compare it to metro Atlanta. The state legislature and ARC are not doing enough!

Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

1,325 posts, read 650,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Building 6,500 housing units in the city seems like a lot given that it is more units than anywhere else in the metro but you got to realize the city grew by 10k people last year. That growth is expected to increase to over 25k a year in the coming decades.

So, no. We are not building enough.

Also, the high prices intown should give you a big indicator that supply is not keeping up with demand.
Source of 25,000 annual growth for the City of Atlanta? Not the metro area, the CITY. The city has never grown more 18% in ANY decade. Since 2010, its about 8,000/year.

9.6%

47.1%

1.6%

−14.1%

−7.3%

5.7%

0.8%

Est. 2018

Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

2,483 posts, read 962,652 times
Quote:
I dont know where you're looking or what your expectation of them are but I too have seen plenty of them both in the suburbs and especially intown. Alpharetta definitely has no shortage of them. Lawrenceville has a decent amount as well. They're also present in E.Cobb & S.Cobb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or