U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2019, 07:13 AM
bu2
 
10,278 posts, read 6,603,637 times
Reputation: 4339

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Huh?

Edit: oh, because I mentioned parking minimums as one of the examples of zoning rules limiting density? You probably need to stop obsessing over cars. You know, maybe, just maybe cars and the laws created to prop them up actually are contributing to many of the problems in the metro?
Parking minimums are not to "prop up" cars. They are requested by residents who don't want to be overrun by businesses that don't properly arrange for their customers and force the costs onto the city and the residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2019, 07:40 AM
 
2,428 posts, read 948,021 times
Reputation: 1893
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Given that I have five times as many posts as you in total, that would not be exactly mind blowing.
Good. That means you've been complaining about the same issues 5 times longer than I've been posting. Pat yourself on the back and congratulate yourself accomplished one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 06:04 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
7,707 posts, read 10,193,133 times
Reputation: 6007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Building 6,500 housing units in the city seems like a lot given that it is more units than anywhere else in the metro but you got to realize the city grew by 10k people last year. That growth is expected to increase to over 25k a year in the coming decades.

So, no. We are not building enough.

Also, the high prices intown should give you a big indicator that supply is not keeping up with demand.
What source says 25k a year? That is an incredible growth rate for a city now practically landlocked. That would double the city in two decades. I don't see how that is possible without Manhattan type of density.

I know that is what many here would love, but let's be realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 07:37 PM
 
3,818 posts, read 1,330,010 times
Reputation: 2632
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
I agree. Some people claim to love all the good things that come with growth (increase in property values, better schools, increase in amenities, etc), yet don't want to deal with some of the negatives (namely traffic).
The baffling part about it is many of these individuals doing the griping are transplants themselves from big northern or western cities and are contributing to the negatives they complain about.

It's not just a lack of self-awareness, but also plain selfishness. Now that they're here, time to roll up the carpet so no one else can come!

But yet, meanwhile, they'll spend all day crying about not getting places like Trader Joe's when they constantly stonewall the growth necessary to attract such stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Ono Island, Orange Beach, AL
10,048 posts, read 9,459,202 times
Reputation: 5657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Because people generally lack self-awareness.
Self awareness? What’s that got to do with wanting to keep your area as you love it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2019, 10:18 PM
 
5,289 posts, read 3,401,340 times
Reputation: 3511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
What source says 25k a year? That is an incredible growth rate for a city now practically landlocked. That would double the city in two decades. I don't see how that is possible without Manhattan type of density.

I know that is what many here would love, but let's be realistic.
25,000 per year is more than 32 states and Puerto Rico grew in the past year. Georgia grew by just over 100,000. Is it reasonable to think that a quarter of people moving to the state would be moving into CoA limits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:41 AM
 
471 posts, read 170,724 times
Reputation: 742
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Parking minimums are not to "prop up" cars. They are requested by residents who don't want to be overrun by businesses that don't properly arrange for their customers and force the costs onto the city and the residents.
America's insane parking minimums ensure that ungodly amounts of land coverage is dedicated to underutilized asphalt. It's an incredibly wasteful use of land and it destroys natural habitat.

Seriously. Think about it. Parking capacities are often designed for the peak of the peak use (e.g. the holidays for retail). Over a 24-hour period, a minimum 2/3 of parking is sitting idol just based on the average person's daily activity.

The true cost of parking (not including the opportunity cost of a better use) is thousands of dollars, all of which you have no choice but to pay- indirectly of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:00 AM
 
2,428 posts, read 948,021 times
Reputation: 1893
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
America's insane parking minimums ensure that ungodly amounts of land coverage is dedicated to underutilized asphalt. It's an incredibly wasteful use of land and it destroys natural habitat.

Seriously. Think about it. Parking capacities are often designed for the peak of the peak use (e.g. the holidays for retail). Over a 24-hour period, a minimum 2/3 of parking is sitting idol just based on the average person's daily activity.

The true cost of parking (not including the opportunity cost of a better use) is thousands of dollars, all of which you have no choice but to pay- indirectly of course.
In mathematical principles that makes sense but in reality , do you really think removing them and replacing them with $3k monthly rent condos is suddenly going to allure commuting suburbanites living in 3-4BR homes with plenty of acres to suddenly move in town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:07 AM
 
Location: North Atlanta
5,515 posts, read 3,901,563 times
Reputation: 3018
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Self awareness? What’s that got to do with wanting to keep your area as you love it?

Because you're not entitled to it (and I'm sure people said the same thing about people like you when you move to the northern suburbs from ITP).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM
 
3,818 posts, read 1,330,010 times
Reputation: 2632
Change is an inevitable part of life.

If you want everything to stay the same, maybe a zero/negative growth region (or even the middle of nowhere) is a better fit for you.

Last edited by citidata18; Yesterday at 08:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top