U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:36 AM

2,412 posts, read 945,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedude404 View Post
You are both correct. Atlanta's public transportation system is an embarrassment. And for whatever reason, many people in Atlanta view the transportation system only as a way for poor folk to get around.
TBH I would like to know why this is. While transit across the US in general seems to be stigmatized for being a lower class means of transportation, that stigma seems like its multiplied 1000x in Atlanta versus other transit enabled metros.

I mean we could say its segregation but places like Chicago, New York, also have dominantly black areas and do not suffer anywhere nearly as bad in this aspect.

Old Today, 08:05 AM

5,515 posts, read 3,900,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
TBH I would like to know why this is.

Decades of brainwashing.

Old Today, 08:31 AM

30,268 posts, read 27,855,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Maybe the ATL has just gotten too big. I'd be willing to share some of our population with other cities, many of whom don't have enough.
Except the rallying cry of those other cities is always "We don't want to be another Atlanta." The folks who live there would promptly inform you that they already have enough people and don't want you wishing Atlanta's big city problems on them.

Old Today, 08:46 AM

30,268 posts, read 27,855,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
TBH I would like to know why this is. While transit across the US in general seems to be stigmatized for being a lower class means of transportation, that stigma seems like its multiplied 1000x in Atlanta versus other transit enabled metros.

I mean we could say its segregation but places like Chicago, New York, also have dominantly black areas and do not suffer anywhere nearly as bad in this aspect.
It's simply the history of the South in particular: when Blacks were granted equal access in the public realm, Whites started to abandon the public realm in favor of private(-esque) options. This point in time also happened to coincide with the establishment of MARTA and when Atlanta was evolving into a big city. Public transportation had long been ingrained into the psyche of cities like NYC and Chicago, well before the mid-20th century, and the way they are built makes transit more feasible and convenient to use. And this is just for starters; it's a much deeper issue.

That said, the stigma today isn't what it used to be. The packed parking deck at the North Springs MARTA station isn't due to working class folks exclusively.

Old Today, 08:46 AM
bu2 bu2 started this thread

10,276 posts, read 6,600,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
It's not just the stigma or branding. Look at the route maps for the two systems. The bus system in Washington has a pretty clear and concise route map, and it looks to be pretty easy to navigate using only a couple of busses to get to most locations. Contrast that to the MARTA bus map. It looks like a pile of spaghetti, with meandering lines largely focused towards downtown and midtown. It can often take at least 3, sometimes more transfers just to go 6-8 miles. That's a hard sell.
Its about service. If its bad service, people won't use it if they have an alternative.

From my experience in Houston, the routes that took an hour to get to downtown and took 3 times as long as driving seemed to get only people with no choice. I would find myself the only Anglo, the only one in a suit and one of a handful of people between 25 and 55. But the short inside the loop routes got a broad mix of people. The park n rides to the suburbs got mostly white collar people.

Old Today, 01:34 PM

2,412 posts, read 945,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Its about service. If its bad service, people won't use it if they have an alternative.

From my experience in Houston, the routes that took an hour to get to downtown and took 3 times as long as driving seemed to get only people with no choice. I would find myself the only Anglo, the only one in a suit and one of a handful of people between 25 and 55. But the short inside the loop routes got a broad mix of people. The park n rides to the suburbs got mostly white collar people.
I agree about the service being a big issue but I am also believing that the stigma largely prohibits MARTA from making functionality improvements.

Old Today, 04:54 PM

103 posts, read 26,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

Just the fact that you had to put that you found yourself to be the only "Anglo" is concerning. Why does that even matter? Why does age matter? There is a reason white people weren't taking the buses with you, as I would imagine at least a solid chunk of white people were putting themselves in financial ruin due to their burning desire to use a car rather than the bus with the "non-Anglos."

Old Today, 05:02 PM

5,284 posts, read 3,399,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLUTD View Post
I would imagine at least a solid chunk of white people were putting themselves in financial ruin due to their burning desire to use a car rather than the bus with the "non-Anglos."
Seriously?

Old Today, 05:20 PM

29,581 posts, read 26,644,910 times
White folks used to ride the bus like crazy.

Old Today, 05:27 PM

103 posts, read 26,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Seriously?
What are the other explanations for no white people using the bus system? Are they all wealthy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or