U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 07:51 PM

10,803 posts, read 7,661,289 times

Advertisements

That is fine. No one is trying to force transit on them.

Just don't use my state tax dollars to subsidize your massively expensive car commute into my neighborhood. We don't need more traffic. Let transportation spending be a local choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM

29,594 posts, read 26,662,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Do you believe that will happen in those counties? Demographically speaking here...
That I don't know, N4C. Are you thinking of demographics in terms of population growth? I would imagine that as Coweta and Fayette densify there could be more demand for public transit.

Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM

3,291 posts, read 3,290,838 times
Fayette is transit-phobic to an extraordinary degree. And it's current very low population density presents an almost unworkable obstacle for mass transit as it is practiced elsewhere in the more populous & more densely developed counties in metro Atlanta.

Beyond that, Fayette is an odd case in that they are in trouble so to speak via the rapid aging of their population & their current leading-the-pack status in terms of the "graying" of population in metro Atlanta. Adding to that trend of aging found there, the county population is relatively stagnant in growth & the school age population has been in decline for a long time with the resultant issue of school closings being a major problem facing the school district.

Being a senior myself who lives next door to Fayette, I recognize that Fayette seniors living in their far flung subdivisions are going to face challenges in terms of living & transportation choices as they age further & face isolation & mobility issues. (Of course Fayette is not unique in that regard.)

If you consider it rationally, via the large lot zoning setup that is place throughout virtually the entire county, there is a tremendous obstacle in place in Fayette that thwarts densification & the development of mass transit to any meaningful degree. Nodes of new density such as that found at Pinewood Forest on Fayeteville's west side, will need to be enlarged & duplicated on a massive scale in order to meaningfully alter Fayette's low density. I'm not saying that it NEEDS to be done, just stating the reality of now.

Any politician (as found in the early on linked article) who should describe Marta as a current "threat" or as a looming issue to be cut off at the knees in Fayette is speaking in a wildly gross mis-characterization of the reality at this point in time. And that is pure dishonesty & a fraud.

Last edited by atler8; Yesterday at 07:36 AM.. Reason: reworked a sentence

Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM

23,626 posts, read 17,846,672 times
MARTA has 0 intention of serving Coweta or Fayette Counties. It would require an amendment to the MARTA Act for that to happen.

Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,678,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Not to their base, apparently.

Let's not forget, the US congressional representative for Coweta and Fayette's district (whose seat is quite arguably the safest in the country) proudly showcases confederate papers outside of their office in Washington about how slavery was the best thing to happen to black people.
And yet people on here couldn't believe that the NY Times published an article suggesting that segregation played a role in the transportation status for this region.

Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM

2,464 posts, read 956,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That I don't know, N4C. Are you thinking of demographics in terms of population growth? I would imagine that as Coweta and Fayette densify there could be more demand for public transit.
Demographics speaking mainly of the type and class of people who live there. I just.... .....don't really see those kinds of people being very pro-MARTA.

Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

13,467 posts, read 17,160,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
There is zero need or even demand for MARTA to go to Fayette or Coweta.
Quote:
Demographics speaking mainly of the type and class of people who live there. I just.... .....don't really see those kinds of people being very pro-MARTA.
And how is that different from the type and class of people who live in Gwinnett and Cobb? Or Cherokee, Forsyth, Douglas, Rockdale or Henry?

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

3,820 posts, read 1,334,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
And how is that different from the type and class of people who live in Gwinnett and Cobb? Or Cherokee, Forsyth, Douglas, Rockdale or Henry?
Every single one of those counties are either:

*Experiencing a rapid demographic shift

*Majority-minority

*Already have some form of mass transit or are actively discussing transit expansion.

Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM

2,464 posts, read 956,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Both are more rural, both are still deeply red counties, and Fayette specifically probably has the financial power to stop MARTA expansion should they see it as a threat. Cowetta probably does too.

The northern counties are a bit more integrated and more-less...purple... I personally see a greater chance of Gwinnett getting MARTA before Fayette gets it.

Henry and Douglas, there are more blue collar commuters - I could see them getting MARTA before Fayette and Cowetta as well.

Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM

23,626 posts, read 17,846,672 times
Quote:
Both are more rural, both are still deeply red counties, and Fayette specifically probably has the financial power to stop MARTA expansion should they see it as a threat. Cowetta probably does too.

The northern counties are a bit more integrated and more-less...purple... I personally see a greater chance of Gwinnett getting MARTA before Fayette gets it.

Henry and Douglas, there are more blue collar commuters - I could see them getting MARTA before Fayette and Cowetta as well.
MARTA is not or will not be a threat to their white, conservative, suburban way of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or