U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:44 AM

5,298 posts, read 4,348,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Doesnt have to be white, the real question is how many blacks encompass that area, I'm pretty sure in N.Fulton they are still a minority.

Edit: and in 2019 it appears to be the case, infact the percentage of blacks has actually decreased from 2010 to 2019 in Alpharetta at only 12& where Whites encompass aproximately 69%

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-...ga-population/
North Fulton's Asian population is growing. As a whole they are less conservative than whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:26 AM

2,464 posts, read 956,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
North Fulton's Asian population is growing. As a whole they are less conservative than whites.
It is, but the majority is still white and I honestly don't see that changing within the next decade. Even that asside there are still the politicians who are mainly responsible for bringing in everything except MARTA rail that still have the foresight of Atlanta in the last century by designing transit with segregation in mind.

Old Today, 09:36 AM

29,594 posts, read 26,662,125 times
Quote:
Doesnt have to be white, the real question is how many blacks encompass that area, I'm pretty sure in N.Fulton they are still a minority.
The question of how many blacks is not the only way to measure ethnic diversity.

North Fulton cities have increasingly become a melting pot.

And compare to the U.S. population at large.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...e/US/PST045218

Old Today, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
The question of how many blacks is not the only way to measure ethnic diversity.

North Fulton cities have increasingly become a melting pot.

And compare to the U.S. population at large.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...e/US/PST045218

Yeah but they are still dominantly white in a state largely known for segregation in previous generations. There are other races but not enough to politically outweigh their power, even at 26.7% Asian in Johns Creek, they won't have much a chance against 60% Whites in the political scheme of voting transit improvements, and even that still depends on all of them being on the same page (which I would question about Johns Creek specifically).

That plus the diversity of other races has little to do with it given all of them are still dwarved by the white population, on top of which transit was never thwarted to protect those sectors from those races to begin with, it was thwarted to create a barrier between the black population, which is still largely a minority in those areas.

When you average out:
Sandy Springs @ 20%
Johns Creek @ 9.4%
Alpharetta @ 12.3%
You come out with 13.9% in N.Fulton which is only 0.5% higher than the national average in the black mocha city. To me that screams there are still limiting factors on allowing them to move to that sector.

Old Today, 10:15 AM

2,254 posts, read 3,565,191 times
Quote:
Yeah but they are still dominantly white in a state largely known for segregation in previous generations. There are other races but not enough to politically outweigh their power, even at 26.7% Asian in Johns Creek, they won't have much a chance against 60% Whites in the political scheme of voting transit improvements, and even that still depends on all of them being on the same page (which I would question about Johns Creek specifically).

That plus the diversity of other races has little to do with it given all of them are still dwarved by the white population, on top of which transit was never thwarted to protect those sectors from those races to begin with, it was thwarted to create a barrier between the black population, which is still largely a minority in those areas.

When you average out:
Sandy Springs @ 20%
Johns Creek @ 9.4%
Alpharetta @ 12.3%
You come out with 13.9% in N.Fulton which is only 0.5% higher than the national average in the black mocha city. To me that screams there are still limiting factors on allowing them to move to that sector.
If you want to experience one of those factors first hand, put on a black mask and ride around up there in South Forsyth, Johns Creek or Alpharetta at night. I'd be willing to bet there's about a 50% chance you get pulled over and asked what you're doing. I've only been out that way 3 times my whole life and two out of those three times I got pulled over. No speeding, seat belt on, lights working. You either get the "you matched the description" bit or they want to know where you're going. Considering the history of Forsyth I doubt many black people would want to live there anyways. Alpharetta and Johns Creek aren't as bad but still not somewhere i'd be riding around at night unless I absolutely had to be. Same deal in East Cobb. I went out there to pick up my dad's Christmas present like 3 years ago and a cop trailed me for like 2 miles. Didn't pull me over but it's like damn, can I even Christmas shop in peace?

Old Today, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
If you want to experience one of those factors first hand, put on a black mask and ride around up there in South Forsyth, Johns Creek or Alpharetta at night. I'd be willing to bet there's about a 50% chance you get pulled over and asked what you're doing. I've only been out that way 3 times my whole life and two out of those three times I got pulled over. No speeding, seat belt on, lights working. You either get the "you matched the description" bit or they want to know where you're going. Considering the history of Forsyth I doubt many black people would want to live there anyways. Alpharetta and Johns Creek aren't as bad but still not somewhere i'd be riding around at night unless I absolutely had to be. Same deal in East Cobb. I went out there to pick up my dad's Christmas present like 3 years ago and a cop trailed me for like 2 miles. Didn't pull me over but it's like damn, can I even Christmas shop in peace?
I actually am also black and I have commuted to Alpharetta at night from Lawrenceville. USUALLY it was okay and I didnt normally need to worry about anything but once I got to N.Fulton I pretty much did feel like I needed to becareful. I frequented the Racetrack on Old Milton Pkwy across the street from Avalon at like 3am for coffee during my breaks. Place was more often than not just filled with Alpharetta police. They never really treated me differently but I always felt super uncomfortable around them.

There was also the time that traffic signal on the offramp for GA-400 and Haynes Bridge Rd malfunctioned as I was coming off the ramp. It never turned green and just stayed red and i made sure i was on the sensor. It was like 3am and I knew that area was frequently patrolled and I debated on running the light and I decided against it given my profile and it would be impossible for me to prove the signal was malfunctioning... called 911 and awaited a cop to allow me to run the signal.

I'd say in general racial 'tolerance' in Alpharetta seems to be okay... they just seem to want to limit the diversity they invite.

In Gwinnett there is a school zone on Cruse Road that Gwinnett County Police just profile the crap out of (hispanic area) and then about 5 miles away on Sugarloaf Pkwy, drivers are flying through school zones at 55 and 60 MPH and not a cop to be found. I raised a complaint over that, not because they were speeding but because they chose to profile 6 cops on Cruze Rd while non hispanics are left free to murder as they please! They eventually staffed that school zone with a cop.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; Today at 11:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or