U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM

5,372 posts, read 3,439,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
No, infrastructure doesn't have to be that expensive. Things like new green-field highways, small streets, bus routes, most ped / bike infrastructure, is powers of tens less expensive than that $11B. Heck, even the streetcar is 110x cheaper than these updates to 285 / 400.
The streetcar is many miles shorter than these upgrades and serves fewer people per year than that single intersection does per day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM

23,671 posts, read 17,920,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I think our population is very underserved in the amount of roads, the number of lane miles, and the efficiency of the roads we have because GDOT isn't out there identifying problems & coming up with fixes (i.e. the Buford Spring quagmire where the 85 South Exit is always backed up blocking through traffic for at least 10 hours every day. Easy fixes include returning the exit to be two lanes and extending the shoulder pavement for them to queue & not block thru traffic).
How many millions did GDOT spend on it's GRIP program that did nothing to alleviate congestion, because there was no congestion to begin with?

Buford Spring Connector just needs to be torn down.

Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM

10,875 posts, read 7,703,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
The streetcar is many miles shorter than these upgrades and serves fewer people per year than that single intersection does per day!
For 110x less in costs, I would hope so. Of course 285 /400 is already serving most of those users.

Where do you move the goalposts to when comparing these few miles of fugly extra lanes for $11B to the 240 mile high speed rail being built in Texas for $12B?

I mean, if you are like these extra lanes so much you want to use your own money to finance them (like the Texas HSR) then go on ahead. Just stop spending my tax dollars on it.

Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM

5,372 posts, read 3,439,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How many millions did GDOT spend on it's GRIP program that did nothing to alleviate congestion, because there was no congestion to begin with?
I don't see congestion mentioned in their brief. They mention safety. Making the roads safer to reduce accidents and improving connectivity for smaller towns.

Quote:
Buford Spring Connector just needs to be torn down.
Would need to add some additional ramps onto and off of 85. Buford Spring connects Peachtree, Lindbergh, and Buford Highway to 85. It's pretty heavily used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
For 110x less in costs, I would hope so. Of course 285 /400 is already serving most of those users.
Veeeerrrryyyyy sloooowwwwllllyyyyyy.

Quote:
Where do you move the goalposts to when comparing these few miles of fugly extra lanes for $11B to the 240 mile high speed rail being built in Texas for $12B?
Keep in mind that the $11b cost is a 40-year cost. It's not just the construction cost. I also find it interesting that they are supposedly planning to build this high speed rail at a fraction of the cost per mile of pretty much any other rail project in US. We'll see what really happens.

Quote:
I mean, if you are like these extra lanes so much you want to use your own money to finance them (like the Texas HSR) then go on ahead. Just stop spending my tax dollars on it.
Then give me back my MARTA dollars. GDOT is 90% funded by fuel taxes. I don't think too much of your money is going towards that.

Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM

I have said before, I am fine with that. Take back your MARTA dollars. Transit benefits from less subsidies in transportation.

Also, even this $11B investment will not speed up the regular lanes on 285 / 400. They will still get more and more congested over time.

Old Today, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Then give me back my MARTA dollars. GDOT is 90% funded by fuel taxes. I don't think too much of your money is going towards that.
If you don't want to fund MARTA, don't buy anything in a MARTA jurisdiction. While that is not rationale and avoiding spending the money will just end up costing you the same in the end.

Old Today, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
You people are nuts in your opinions about the cost of maintenance of roads.

NC maintains the 2nd largest system in the country after Texas (80,000+ miles) for less than half of it's yearly revenue.

That state manages to afford building thousands and thousands of miles of brand new interstate-quality highways simultaneously with the same $5-6 billion per year.

And NC doesn't allow stations to charge $1-2 per gallon of just profit like here in corrupt Atlanta. I just spent a month in NC where statewide the prices were lower than here.

ncfunds by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

expenses by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr
It appears NCDOT is in the middle of a financial crisis. How's that working out for them?
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/po...235186707.html

Old Today, 03:41 PM

Highways needing yet another bailout from taxpayers? Never!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or