U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,898,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookhavenResident View Post
Thank you everyone. Big decisions, yes, but clearly two excellent schools.
Big decisions for the admissions committees---might not be a big decision for you if you child doesn't get in.

Both schools are competitive to get into. If you could see your child at either one, go ahead and apply to Marist for 7th grade. You can always apply to Pius in 9th if she doesn't get in to Marist in 7th. I wouldn't split hairs over which one is better. The better one is the one that accepts your child.

I wouldn't just assume she'll be admitted to Pius in 9th, so cast a wider net. One of my child's friends got in to the big competitive Buckhead schools in 9th but didn't get in Pius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM
bu2

10,300 posts, read 6,625,786 times
Quote:
We are in the throws of determining where to send our daughter for school. We have narrowed it down to Pius vs. Marist. Our daughter is a strong student and wants to do volleyball and swimming.She is also active in a few clubs as well. I've been doing some research on both schools and this is the gist I am getting. I wanted to get thoughts on this from the forum.

Marist -

The good: Nicer facilities; all students in either AP or honors classes/AP type classes; top quality teaching; lots of activities; excellent sports program particularly football/baseball; located in a nicer area; strong college placement rate; Excellent guidance and college placement services; Can start in 7th grade and get 6 years there.

The bad: More expensive ($6K per year); more elite, wealthy students; immense social pressure/cliques; students drive BMWs and Range Rovers and have beach/lake houses; academic pressure can be insane;

Pius -

The good: Less expensive (6K per year); 3 academic levels for a broader more diverse student body (AP/Honors/CP); feels more like a regular high school - kids more down to earth and less cliquey; Cars are more old Chevys than new Audis; AP level is as good (better?) as Marist (e.g. more Nat Merit Scholars at Pius than Marist in 2018-19); excellent sports sports particularly basketball, swimming, volleyball, soccer (won All Sports trophy in 2019);

The bad: Facilities ok, but lacking and less modern that Marist; academic reputation is less than Marist given the third track (CP which brings overall test scores down); larger classes 275 vs. 200 at Marist. Located in questionable area safety wise; college placement rate more diverse (top schools/state schools/lower state schools/lower out of state schools) given 3 levels; more strict with dress codes/hair etc.

What am I missing?
Marist has a great swim coach. Just moved there last year from being an assistant at Emory.

I wouldn't say Pius is in a "questionable area" safety wise. Its definitely not really nice like Marist, but its not "questionable."

Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM

2 posts, read 70 times
Does ideology matter?

Marist does seem to be getting much more progressive. There seems to be a push for more LGBT advocacy than you would normally see at a Catholic school. I understand the school allowed a “walk-out” to occur last year (which Pius did not permit). Also, there seems to be a big emphasis on environmentalism, white privilege, and the rights of refugees/immigrants. All of these could be good or bad depending on the person.

Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM

2,004 posts, read 4,795,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckheader View Post
Does ideology matter?

Marist does seem to be getting much more progressive. There seems to be a push for more LGBT advocacy than you would normally see at a Catholic school. I understand the school allowed a “walk-out” to occur last year (which Pius did not permit). Also, there seems to be a big emphasis on environmentalism, white privilege, and the rights of refugees/immigrants. All of these could be good or bad depending on the person.
They did indeed. Following the Parkland shooting. And there are a number of "out" students and teachers at Marist. Marist might surprise people. It is still a Catholic school and staunchly pro-life, but they've come a long way since I was a student there.

Old Yesterday, 06:49 PM

2 posts, read 70 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
They did indeed. Following the Parkland shooting. And there are a number of "out" students and teachers at Marist. Marist might surprise people. It is still a Catholic school and staunchly pro-life, but they've come a long way since I was a student there.
My point was not to offer praise for Marist being Democrat. It was more to say that some people may prefer their child’s school to be neutral on political issues, rather than picking sides. If that is the case, Pius would be a better choice.

Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM

2,004 posts, read 4,795,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckheader View Post
My point was not to offer praise for Marist being Democrat. It was more to say that some people may prefer their child’s school to be neutral on political issues, rather than picking sides. If that is the case, Pius would be a better choice.
Not sure I would call Marist Democrat. I just got an email today soliciting for students to attend the 47th March for Life in DC in March, 2020. The point was that Marist has come a LONG way from the days when they held school on MLK Day and were picketed and featured on the news (in a negative way). I'm not trying to be political; just pointing out that what people's perception of a Catholic school might be may not be completely accurate.

Old Today, 07:33 AM
bu2

10,300 posts, read 6,625,786 times
Quote:
CMMom - I am actually looking for unbiased responses and you clearly are biased. I am basing this on what I've learned and seen and been told. Marist kids come off as very cliquey and I'm wondering if that permeates throughout the school. In addition, I've talked to a number of families whose kids got into BOTH Marist and Pius and chose Pius. There were a number of reasons for this, but the number one I've seen is that one is just a little more down to earth than another and a bit less "full of themselves" than Marist. By your response, you seem to echo that statement.
This is certainly something to consider. We didn't look at Marist or St. Pius, but this sort of thing was definitely a factor for us. We didn't want the school too materialistic (although almost all the privates tend that way).

Old Today, 08:31 AM

1,464 posts, read 2,644,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I can't answer any of your questions aside from one:

The answer is, the only thing that really matters: your daughter's opinion. I assume she's been to both schools and has formed opinions on each. She should visit and research them as much as possible and get their vibes and figure out where she thinks she's going to fit in and thrive the best.

It's great to do all this research and help arm her with information. But really, at the end of the day... the decision should absolutely be hers. She's the one who will have to deal with the outcome every single day.

Did he ask for parenting or school advice?

I've always perceived Marist as the better school, but that is probably because I looked through the lens of sports while I was in HS a long while back. I don't think you can get a bad education at either from what I've gathered. I have heard its harder for a Marist (Pius too?) student to get into say Georgia than a public school student.

I have friends that went to both 20+ yrs ago. Depends on the kid. Some are down to earth, some are insufferable. Same can be said of my public school experience in Sandy Springs.

We live in the area and if the finances work will be looking at both options. I was raised Catholic, my wife Methodist. We go to my wife's family's church.

I know a family at Marist that converted to Catholicism prior to their application. I find that interesting. Good luck. I'm sure your daughter will excel at either school.

Old Today, 09:03 AM

10,051 posts, read 9,475,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We've had several good friends who have sent kids to both schools. I don't see Marist families as wealthier or more elitist at all.
Wholly agree. To say Marist is elitist is silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta