U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2019, 01:38 AM

484 posts, read 174,718 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering a move to Atlanta and was wondering if there are any neighborhoods that meet these criteria, in order of priority:

- Good transit (i.e. walking distance to MARTA station preferred)
- Walkable (walk to retail, parks, etc.)
- Safe- both personal safety/crime, but also walkability like not crossing highways to get to the grocery store
- Home prices: less than 550K for a 3-bed townhome/condo/SFH or less than $400K for a 2-bed condo. I'm willing to sacrifice size or pay extra to meet the criteria above.
- Good public schools K-12 (doesn't have to be the best)

For a comparison, I'm looking for a similar place to Arlington, VA in the D.C. area, which meets most of the criteria I've mentioned above (exact price, obviously).

Thank you in advance for your help and insights!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2019, 05:53 AM

1,241 posts, read 1,056,145 times
City of Decatur
Sandy springs
Buckhead

Old 09-08-2019, 06:57 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,848,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Hello,

I am considering a move to Atlanta and was wondering if there are any neighborhoods that meet these criteria, in order of priority:

- Good transit (i.e. walking distance to MARTA station preferred)
- Walkable (walk to retail, parks, etc.)
- Safe- both personal safety/crime, but also walkability like not crossing highways to get to the grocery store
- Home prices: less than 550K for a 3-bed townhome/condo/SFH or less than $400K for a 2-bed condo. I'm willing to sacrifice size or pay extra to meet the criteria above.
- Good public schools K-12 (doesn't have to be the best)

For a comparison, I'm looking for a similar place to Arlington, VA in the D.C. area, which meets most of the criteria I've mentioned above (exact price, obviously).

Thank you in advance for your help and insights!
In Atlanta Public Schools in the Grady High Cluster look for neighborhoods served by Springdale Park Elementary (SPARK), Mary Lin Elementary (Lin), and Morningside Elementary —elementaries are great and middle and high are mostly good, certainly different than Decatur and suburban schools, but test scores are comparable to Decatur and getting better. For Lin—Candler Park, Lake Claire, Inman Park have MARTA lines. For SPARK—Midtown has train access. I think the Ansley Park area might be close to a train, and I *think* it’s zoned for Morningside. There are more zoned for the similar North Atlanta High along the north rail line, but someone will know more about them than I.
Edit: if you want MARTA and being close to big-box grocery and retail, but are ok with “up-and-coming schools” maybe look at Edgewood and Reynoldstown. If you want chain grocery, retail and good schools are willing to sacrifice rail, include Poncey-highland, Virginia Highland, and the area near Piedmont and Monroe (there is also stuff near Emory, but unless you work there, I wouldn’t recommend it). Anyway, there are options, way more than I listed.

Last edited by jeoff; 09-08-2019 at 08:01 AM..

Old 09-08-2019, 08:11 AM

170 posts, read 107,989 times
Don’t forget about places like grant park, with great train access and great charter school system.

Inman Park
Chandler Park
Oakhurst/Winona Park
Grant Park

Old 09-08-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjhajek View Post
Don’t forget about places like grant park, with great train access and great charter school system.

Inman Park
Chandler Park
Oakhurst/Winona Park
Grant Park
Which stop is Grant Park closest to?

Old 09-08-2019, 12:56 PM

484 posts, read 174,718 times
Thanks for the helpful comments everyone. I appreciate the insights into the various trade-offs between specific neighborhoods.

The job is near Lindbergh Station and it sounds like most of these suggestions would be a reasonable transit commute. Our family does not own a car, nor do we plan on buying one so transit/walkability are pretty key.

Buckhead, Midtown, and a few neighborhoods along the east leg of the blue line seem to fit the bill. I'm a bit nervous about Buckhead or Sandy Springs- both are dense and have transit access, but they look very autocentric with a lot of massive highways.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:50 PM

10,842 posts, read 7,680,864 times
Quote:
Thanks for the helpful comments everyone. I appreciate the insights into the various trade-offs between specific neighborhoods.

The job is near Lindbergh Station and it sounds like most of these suggestions would be a reasonable transit commute. Our family does not own a car, nor do we plan on buying one so transit/walkability are pretty key.

Buckhead, Midtown, and a few neighborhoods along the east leg of the blue line seem to fit the bill. I'm a bit nervous about Buckhead or Sandy Springs- both are dense and have transit access, but they look very autocentric with a lot of massive highways.
Midtown is a great place to start. It is in Grady district and your Kids can probably even walk / bike to Grady (thru Piedmont Park from northern Midtown, and through the Midtown garden District from southern Midtown).

Also, keep an eye on areas along the Beltline for mid-term options. Transit is planned along that loop, with an initial extension from downtown to the Beltline Eastside expected to start work in the next few years.

Downtown and Castleberry Hill also have a lot of potential. They have the best bones / great transit connectivity and many great urbanism improvements are in process there.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Atlantic Station might also be worth a look—tons of retail—really not that far from Arts Station Marta rail—and I am guessing that with the density and bus only lanes there are probably relatively frequent and direct bus routes to the station. I think the high school is Grady, which is good, but K-8 are Centenial Place Charter Academy, which according to school ranking sites is about average for the state (and average for Georgia is worrisome). Also, I would worry that if (when) they rezone Grady again, it could be the odd man out. Still, depending on your school wants/needs it may hit all of your criteria.

Old 09-09-2019, 10:04 AM

5,329 posts, read 3,420,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Atlantic Station might also be worth a look—tons of retail—really not that far from Arts Station Marta rail—and I am guessing that with the density and bus only lanes there are probably relatively frequent and direct bus routes to the station.
To my knowledge, only MARTA Route 37 passes Atlantic Station between Arts Center and Moore's Mill/Marietta Blvd. It runs on half-hour headways. A CobbLinc Bus Route 10 also goes to Arts Center (but not back), every half hour (one hour on Sundays).

When I punched Atlantic Station to Arts Center into MARTA's trip planner, it said to just walk.

Old 09-09-2019, 12:28 PM

744 posts, read 685,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
To my knowledge, only MARTA Route 37 passes Atlantic Station between Arts Center and Moore's Mill/Marietta Blvd. It runs on half-hour headways. A CobbLinc Bus Route 10 also goes to Arts Center (but not back), every half hour (one hour on Sundays).

When I punched Atlantic Station to Arts Center into MARTA's trip planner, it said to just walk.
If you're actually in Atlantic Station, the free Atlantic Station shuttle is going to have much quicker service than the #37. There's typical a couple shuttles making the short loop between Ikea and Arts Center station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or