U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM

939 posts, read 382,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Well that is a very silly reason.

I am starting to think the School Board might be more of a problem than the superintendent. Looks like they did this vote behind closed doors but if anyone finds how each member of the board voted it would be useful when they come up for election.

There was no vote. A vote is only needed if they were going to extend the contract. There is no vote to not extend they just allow the contract to run out which is what they are doing. This isn't some closed door backroom deal and Carstarphen herself has known what was coming for months now. This isn't a surprise to her she knew this was a strong possibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:15 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,848,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Jason Esteves did not support renewing her contract (this time around, unlike last year). When Rose Scott pressed him for specific examples, he either couldn't or wouldn't. What's done is done, but if ABOE members want to keep this thing from going totally off the rails, they need to be frank with constituents about what informed their decisions. At this point I feel like they are all just waiting on their prepared remarks from the hired guns at a PR form before facing the public. There is understandable concern that because their appears to be zero consensus from board members about what her undoing was, they are poorly positioned to find and recruit a candidate to correct those flaws. On top of that, finding a new leader will be a two-way street. ABOE will have to do better than "well, we all have our reasons" to really sell someone to take a job where the last candidate was given walking papers in this manner. The number of suitable candidates for these jobs is a lot lower than the number of opportunities nationwide, and the way this transpired is probably a red flag for someone with options.
Sorry, I didn’t pick that up from interview—he said all the “data” said that she did what they hired her to do, and so on—assuming you are right—then I understand this even less than I did before. Considering where the district was before she came, it doesn’t make sense at all.

Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM

2,150 posts, read 2,158,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Sorry, I didn’t pick that up from interview—he said all the “data” said that she did what they hired her to do, and so on—assuming you are right—then I understand this even less than I did before. Considering where the district was before she came, it doesn’t make sense at all.
I guess that's sort of my point. You just listened to Jason Esteves talk about his position for 20 minutes, get repeatedly pushed by the interviewer for specific examples, and by the end of it you still didn't definitively know where he stands (or why). Most of them are sticking to vaugities and prepared talking points, with no actual substance or substantiation. That needs to change, quickly.

Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM

10,842 posts, read 7,680,864 times
Until I hear reasons why some people "just didn't like her". Think I am going to have to add myself to the camp of Carstarphen's supporters.

Having personal differences with someone is not sufficient reason to fire them when by all other accounts they appear to be doing a great job at improving the welfare of the students of Atlanta.

The Superintendent should not be a personal / political decision. It should be decided based on what benefits the students and Atlanta as a whole.

Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
There was no vote. A vote is only needed if they were going to extend the contract. There is no vote to not extend they just allow the contract to run out which is what they are doing. This isn't some closed door backroom deal and Carstarphen herself has known what was coming for months now. This isn't a surprise to her she knew this was a strong possibility.
From the link:

Quote:
The board retreated into closed session around 9:15 a.m. to discuss the contract issue. Three and a half hours later, they returned to the public meeting chambers where an audience of a couple dozen Atlanta Public Schools staff, parents and members of the superintendent’s cabinet waited for news.

The discussions to not extend the contract have been closed door. We still don't even know exactly who was in favor and who was opposed to renewing her contact because the discussion have been backroom. I still have not heard a reason, especially from the board, to oppose her besides that some "didn't like her".

Also lets not forget Carstarphen was vocally against the Gulch subsidies. This may be revenge from some for that.

Last edited by jsvh; Yesterday at 11:29 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

1,872 posts, read 1,899,288 times
It leaves me wondering if they will choose a replacement who is a yes man more than someone motivated to improve the education of our students and accountable to the parents and taxpayers. Seems to me she ruffled feathers in the leadership, because that's what it took to make changes and do her job.

Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
It leaves me wondering if they will choose a replacement who is a yes man more than someone motivated to improve the education of our students and accountable to the parents and taxpayers. Seems to me she ruffled feathers in the leadership, because that's what it took to make changes and do her job.

Yep. Also the PR firm they hired is doing a terrible job of explaining the decision:

Quote:
...the district’s law firm has tapped a public relations company to help explain the board’s decision.
https://www.ajc.com/news/local-educa...fuuhLduGXqlkN/

Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM

939 posts, read 382,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
From the link:

The discussions to not extend the contract have been closed door. We still don't even know exactly who was in favor and who was opposed to renewing her contact because the discussion have been backroom. I still have not heard a reason, especially from the board, to oppose her besides that some "didn't like her".

Also lets not forget Carstarphen was vocally against the Gulch subsidies. This may be revenge from some for that.

There is no vote. None. The only vote is to extend. This also wasn't news to Carstarphen who was informed back in July that she wasn't going to be retained. You are making this into something it isn't. She is a highly paid administrator who has mediocre results. She has alienated everyone around her everywhere she has been.

Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

1,662 posts, read 2,707,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
There is no vote. None. The only vote is to extend. This also wasn't news to Carstarphen who was informed back in July that she wasn't going to be retained. You are making this into something it isn't. She is a highly paid administrator who has mediocre results. She has alienated everyone around her everywhere she has been.
Can you give an example of an APS superintendent that you feel has done better considering the circumstances?

Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM

3,290 posts, read 1,534,178 times
Closed session? Why is it necessary to have a closed session?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or