U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 05:06 PM

29,633 posts, read 26,734,961 times

Advertisements

Sounds like the North and East sides of town were okay with keeping Carstarphen, but that the objections to her were coming from the South side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 05:27 PM

1,664 posts, read 2,709,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sounds like the North and East sides of town were okay with keeping Carstarphen, but that the objections to her were coming from the South side.
True. But I think the communities on the south and west sides didn’t know how to leverage her policies to their advantage like the north and east sides did. To me, it sounds like a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water. Similar to debates about gentrification, I think the knee-jerk reaction from many was “she’s trying destroy the black schools”. I just don’t think there was good job in explaining the rationale behind her actions to her critics.

I have been to meetings less than 6 years ago when parents have said, “We cannot merge King and Coan! The Mechanicsville and Edgewood gangs don’t get along. This will destroy our schools!” I think this emotional, short-sighted type of thinking has set us back once again.

Even more recently, at a meeting with Carstarphen, someone asked, what can we do to prevent the closing and merging of our beloved SW schools. Carstarphen’s answer: “Tell your neighbors to start sending their kids to the school...”

Old 09-10-2019, 05:32 PM

2,131 posts, read 1,853,036 times
Quote:
Eshé Collins was a strong yes and she represents district 6 on the south.

Michelle Olympiadisis a presumed strong no district 3 on the east.
Leslie Grant anther presumed strong no is district 1 is east.
Erika Mitchell a presumed strong no is district 5 to the west.
Jason Esteves is a presumed moosh and leads them all.

https://45tkhs2ch4042kf51f1akcju-wpe...rictsMar21.pdf

Old 09-10-2019, 05:36 PM

10,845 posts, read 7,695,047 times
Quote:
Appears the exact opposite is true, actually. We know these three board members voted against Carstarphen last year:

-Leslie Grant (District 1 / Jackson HS cluster)
-Michelle D. Olympiadis (District 3 / Grady HS cluster)
-Erika Mitchell (District 4 / North Atlanta HS cluster)

Old 09-10-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Eshé Collins was a strong yes and she represents district 6 on the south.

Michelle Olympiadisis a presumed strong no district 3 on the east.
Leslie Grant anther presumed strong no is district 1 is east.
Erika Mitchell a presumed strong no is district 5 to the west.
Jason Esteves is a presumed moosh and leads them all.

https://45tkhs2ch4042kf51f1akcju-wpe...rictsMar21.pdf
This may be, but I thought arjay57 was referring to public sentiment rather than the leanings of the board members themselves.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Appears the exact opposite is true, actually. We know these three board members voted against Carstarphen last year:

I thought Erika Mitchell was District 5. Nevertheless, here is her explanation of her rationale about the decision: https://waok.radio.com/articles/news...F_6FjLAFk_rQZQ

Old 09-10-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
This may be, but I thought arjay57 was referring to public sentiment rather than the leanings of the board members themselves.
Yes, I was referring to public sentiment, as well as the statements by Board Chair Jason Esteves in his interview yesterday with Rose Scott.

He gets into this directly at the 59:00 minute mark.

https://www.wabe.org/episode/closer-...mjnhR4akzZRY6U

Old 09-10-2019, 07:02 PM

2,131 posts, read 1,853,036 times
Quote:
Yes, I was referring to public sentiment, as well as the statements by Board Chair Jason Esteves in his interview yesterday with Rose Scott.

He gets into this directly at the 59:00 minute mark.

https://www.wabe.org/episode/closer-...mjnhR4akzZRY6U
Esteves seemed to be trying to keep his fingerprints off this (for now). He seems to be a nice guy who is trying to play politics—he will claim it if the positive momentum of the district makes it a non-issue, and claim he was just executing the will of the board, if things go south.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Esteves seemed to be trying to keep his fingerprints off this (for now). He seems to be a nice guy who is trying to play politics—he will claim it if the positive momentum of the district makes it a non-issue, and claim he was just executing the will of the board, if things go south.
However, his comments about the North side and East side people may be on the mark. As he puts it, they are okay with keeping Carstarphen because they want stability. That would not surprise me.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:06 AM

2,150 posts, read 2,161,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post

Though Michelle does represent many of the Grady feeders, the Grady campus is actually in Leslie's district as well. I think district 3 is the only one without a traditional APS HS within it's bounds.

Quote:
I think the "nays" had probably picked up another member since last year, maybe leaving the board split at 4/4 with only 8 members currently. After some conversations, and realizing whomever fills that seat would likely vote against her next year, Jason decided it would be better to start the search for a replacement now rather than put off the inevitable. I think that even if Jason Esteves was generally in favor of retaining her, he saw the writing on the the wall regarding the same discussion next year and decided to align the new strategic plan with the search for new leadership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or