U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2019, 10:44 AM

10,845 posts, read 7,686,855 times

Advertisements

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/9/10...idtown-transit

https://www.midtownatl.com/_files/do...inalforweb.pdf

Quote:
That’s according to Midtown Alliance’s recent community survey, which asked more than 5,000 people, among other things, how they prefer to move around the city.

Roughly 23 percent of respondents who both live and work in Midtown said they own fewer cars now than in years past.

Those who live but don’t work there experienced a 17 percent drop in car ownership, and those who work but don’t live there saw a 9 percent decline.
Can't say I blame folks for getting rid of their car. As someone living with out a car in Midtown, it is great. And helps the budget too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 11:26 AM

10,053 posts, read 9,481,830 times
I have read articles that younger folk are making less than the older generation made at the same point in life. I wonder if that has anything to do with a decline in car ownership.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:36 AM

10,845 posts, read 7,686,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I have read articles that younger folk are making less than the older generation made at the same point in life. I wonder if that has anything to do with a decline in car ownership.
Cars are expensive and become a liability you have to keep up with. Think a lot of folks are finding joy in the freedom of just paying per use of the mode of transportation that works best for each trip, be that a scooter, Uber, train, or just walking.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:37 AM

29,628 posts, read 26,714,743 times
I encourage young folks not to drive. The bus is a great option when you are young and limber and more impervious to heat.

Likewise with bikes and scooters. They are ideal for millenials.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:08 PM

8,471 posts, read 10,446,060 times
I love you arjay, but the bus is stupid waste of time for anybody, no matter how limber or impervious to heat they are if they place any value at all whatsoever on their time. Maybe some people don't.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:22 PM

2,556 posts, read 985,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I love you arjay, but the bus is stupid waste of time for anybody, no matter how limber or impervious to heat they are if they place any value at all whatsoever on their time. Maybe some people don't.
Depends on the bus system, if done right, they can be pretty good. The route planning and stigma behind MARTA busses however leave it far from its potential.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:32 PM

938 posts, read 468,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
The quality of bus service varies route to route. I get to where I need to go without issue usually. With all the transit apps out there, tracking and timing buses is pretty easy.

Old Today, 05:08 AM

2,024 posts, read 2,179,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/9/10...idtown-transit

https://www.midtownatl.com/_files/do...inalforweb.pdf

Can't say I blame folks for getting rid of their car. As someone living with out a car in Midtown, it is great. And helps the budget too.
Itís great in nice weather when you live close to work. Itís a chore otherwise

Old Today, 05:46 AM

8,471 posts, read 10,446,060 times
One thing the survey doesn't do is dig into WHY people are ditching cars.

For example, 44% of the area's residents are over 50 years old. Ditching cars from the household could come from teenage kids going off to college or getting jobs, leaving home and taking their cars with them. It could also come from retirement, with people giving up company cars.

I'd recommend looking at the raw survey. Curbed's idiotic, as usual, reporting fails to do simple math. While 23% of people who live and work in midtown reduced the number of cars owned, 4% increased them. So the NET percentage of households that lost cars is really more like 19%. As for people who work in midtown, there was actually a net INCREASE in car ownership if you bother to factor in the people who added cars.

I don't know why anybody ever cites Curbed. It completely lacks any iota of journalistic integrity. It's a freaking blog. It was founded by a dude who spent his senior year of college writing a book about Phish, cut his teeth at Gawker (which went bankrupt for illegally publishing the Hulk Hogan sex tape) and then got fired from his own company for sexual harassment. Stop listening to anything this rag says.

Old Today, 08:08 AM

3,734 posts, read 8,929,432 times
Midtown is one of the few places in Atlanta where you can live a car free lifestyle, just like in New York or Tokyo, as long as you also work in Midtown or somewhere with MARTA access (even the Dunwoody/Perimeter will be good in this case). Long time ago I was looking at buying a high rise condo in Midtown and signing up for Zip Car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta