Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 08:29 PM

5 posts, read 16,571 times

Advertisements

I'm a single female looking to purchase a townhome or single family home in Smyrna. I discovered this site several months ago and it's been good to me. Too good - information overload!

I've narrowed my search to Smyrna. I would prefer a single family craftsman style home. (I learned that term on this forum! ) I moved from New York to Georgia six months ago and I thought it would be easy to find a single family home with a front porch. I have not found that to be the case with the new construction I've seen so far.

I'm not keen on townhomes because I'm afraid I may get neighbors who smoke. I don't think my lungs can take it!

I'm working with a budget of 250-280K, tops. I work downtown by Peachtree Center. I'm focusing on Smyrna for the easy commute.

Any thoughts and/or insight would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 07:39 AM

69 posts, read 292,847 times
That won't be that easy of a commute for you...are you set on Smyrna?

For an easy commute - I would suggest looking in neighborhoods east of downtown. You'll be hard pressed to to find a house for that amount anywhere around Atlanta - but you'd have a good selection of conods/townhouses in that price range. I'd check out Grant Park, Inman Park, Candler Park. I can speak for Grant Park particularly - it's a 5 minute drive to downtown - and a great neighborhood. I lived there when I first moved to Atlanta as a single lady (and still do live there) and absolutely love it. I'd be happy to give you more information if you are interested.

As for your smoke concern - I've never heard of that! I've lived in a townhouse for 4 years and never even caught wind of smoke! Maybe I'm just lucky that none of my neighbors smoke - but if a townhouse is built well - I wouldn't think that would be an issue.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:57 AM

750 posts, read 2,276,651 times
I live in Smyrna and I like it and It's not a "horrible commute" to downtown. I actually would rather live in Smyrna than live in downtown Atlanta even if I worked in Atlanta. You probably will be hard pressed to find a new home in that price range in Smyrna. If you go kinda near the outskirts of Cobb county or the Mabelton area you can find some brand new developments of both homes and townhomes. You can find some older homes for sale in Smyrna but not new, I also have never heard that about the smoke issue in townhomes.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:52 AM

15 posts, read 48,152 times
Hello,

There's a really nice townhome community on Spring Road, between Atlanta Rd and Cobb Parkway(actually it's about 2 blocks from Atlanta Road). I think the pricing is in the upper $200. I noticed they are 90 % sold out, so they maybe having a closeout sale....they are really nice, with garages, etc. There's a nearby coffee shop, and you will be walking distance to the new Jonquil Plaza(I can't wait for that!) and the Village on the Green. There's also a walking/bike trail on Spring Road that is quite nice.

I work near Peachtree Center, and actually worked at Peachtree Center for a couple years. The drive to get downtown was a breeze, the only traffic to worry about is the connector traffic, and unless you live downtown, everyone is stuck! I've considered moving to other parts of Cobb County, (Kennesaw or Acworth) because you can get allot more home for the $, but for anyone working downtown, Smyrna can't be beat!

Good Luck!

Old 04-18-2008, 12:24 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,944,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Transplant 2007 View Post
I'm a single female looking to purchase a townhome or single family home in Smyrna. I discovered this site several months ago and it's been good to me. Too good - information overload!

I've narrowed my search to Smyrna. I would prefer a single family craftsman style home. (I learned that term on this forum! ) I moved from New York to Georgia six months ago and I thought it would be easy to find a single family home with a front porch. I have not found that to be the case with the new construction I've seen so far.

I'm not keen on townhomes because I'm afraid I may get neighbors who smoke. I don't think my lungs can take it!

I'm working with a budget of 250-280K, tops. I work downtown by Peachtree Center. I'm focusing on Smyrna for the easy commute.

Any thoughts and/or insight would be greatly appreciated.
If you want a new home, take a look at these:

Symrna New Homes

Other areas:

Mableton New Homes
Powder Springs New Homes
Marietta New Homes

Hope this helps.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:31 PM

397 posts, read 843,272 times
I don't really know what is available in Smyrna, but Inman Park which was mentioned above is about 3 miles east of downtown. It is also very close and covenient to most things within the city and all of the major highways. I currently live in a townhouse community in Inman park that has a few places for sale around that price range. If you want more info let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta