Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 04:27 PM

2,437 posts, read 3,848,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No.
So you see 2018 or 2019 WE as a 2008 GP? 2000? 1996? (Not sure if you’ve lived here that long...)

I picked those two options because the homes were originally built around the same time and they are pretty much equidistant to downtown. True, they do have staunch differences, but I don’t think you would recognize 1994 or even 1999 Grant Park if you were here to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 08:17 AM

2,167 posts, read 2,830,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Thanks for the replies, I ask because people often compare the West End of today to the early 2000's Grant Park.

Although I think both neighborhoods are great, looking back, do you all think that 2013 Grant Park is on par with 2018 West End in terms of value, desirability, or potential, etc?
One big thing that Grant Park had/has going for it that West End doesn't is the neighborhood's namesake. There isn't 130 acres of greenspace, a pool, and a zoo in the middle of West End. Local amenities like that are a big boost to factors like "desirability" and "potential". I suppose the BeltLine is a reasonable corollary, there.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:45 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
The thing Grant Park had going for it then that I don't think West End does right now is the schools. Parkside has been viewed as a good elementary school for a while now, and even though the scores online look low, parents have rallied to send their kids there. ANCS has also attracted people to the neighborhood. I think West End needs a similar rallying around the public schools to get people more comfortable sending their kids there if the housing prices are going to continue going up, or even be sustainable where they are now if any kind of economic downturn happens.

Being south of I-20, I'd also say that up until the last few years, Grant Park was an "isolated" nice area, since Cabbagetown and Reynolstown really weren't what they are today just 5 years ago. But unlike Grant Park, I think the West End is what is going to lead development in the area. Development on the eastside has moved out from Old Fourth Ward/Inman Park, so Grant Park was able to rise in value as those areas exploded and people began searching for areas more affordable but close by. West End is pretty isolated in comparison, but is seeing the growth and prices that will start pushing people to areas surrounding it. So right now, I think the West End is the top of the market for the west side, compared to the east side where Inman Park and Old Fourth Ward are.
The West End needs better schools if it wants to retain young families. Atlanta Neighborhood Charter School needs to be replicated in areas like the West End.

Old 10-11-2019, 03:02 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
I don't have any money and couldn't buy a nice new doorknob, much less a house...

But this area's traffic is godawful in the morning and afternoon, and even worse for me is that it still has so many remnants of ghetto aesthetic.

Abandoned roadside buildings like the "J -iffy Market", and the look of everything on Moreland at I-20 is not the scenery I want to see on a daily basis.

I don't see how people contend with these 2 negatives while paying big bucks for a home.

This run-down aesthetic won't ever be totally replaced within the next 30 years.

Maybe y'all don't mind it, but the streets, etc. are quite run-down looking and are worse than the rest of the country for the most part.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:18 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,629,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I don't have any money and couldn't buy a nice new doorknob, much less a house...

But this area's traffic is godawful in the morning and afternoon, and even worse for me is that it still has so many remnants of ghetto aesthetic.

Abandoned roadside buildings like the "J -iffy Market", and the look of everything on Moreland at I-20 is not the scenery I want to see on a daily basis.

I don't see how people contend with these 2 negatives while paying big bucks for a home.

This run-down aesthetic won't ever be totally replaced within the next 30 years.

Maybe y'all don't mind it, but the streets, etc. are quite run-down looking and are worse than the rest of the country for the most part.
What you call "run down" is what I call "lived in." It's not sterile and perfect, but that's definitely not holding the area back.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:35 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,121 times
Quote:

” This run-down aesthetic won't ever be totally replaced within the next 30 years.”
—on Moreland and 20?
I give it 10. 15 tops. Just look at what is heading up Memorial. Heck, even what has changed on Moreland north of 20.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:07 AM

7 posts, read 4,182 times
I remember almost buying this house in 2011.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...69345531_zpid/

Old 10-13-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Ironically enough, it looks like the "J-iffy Market" is now up for sale. It was only a matter of time...

Old 10-13-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Rain View Post
I remember almost buying this house in 2011.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...69345531_zpid/
Wow! What did you almost buy it for 2011? Around where did you end up moving?

Old 10-14-2019, 12:21 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:

Moreland Ave is not in or borders Grant Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta