U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:05 AM

60 posts, read 222,633 times

Advertisements

Getting back on topic, here's a link to a FAQ about the New School:

Morningside Elementary School

The APS wants to delay the release of its rezoning proposal until August, but the Morningside parents are pushing for the originally promised Spring release.

There are also links to the latest architectural plans, and lots of other info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 05:46 PM

13,596 posts, read 22,044,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothrat View Post
Getting back on topic, here's a link to a FAQ about the New School:

Morningside Elementary School

The APS wants to delay the release of its rezoning proposal until August, but the Morningside parents are pushing for the originally promised Spring release.

There are also links to the latest architectural plans, and lots of other info.
Thanks for the link. Perfect for this thread.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:46 AM

3 posts, read 5,084 times
I'm late on this thread, but I read in the Druid Hills newsletter that "Olmstead Elementary" is being considered as the name for the new school. I'm not sure of the decision-making progress though.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:32 AM

2,642 posts, read 7,373,411 times
Good lord, WHATEVER, mmann. Get over yourself.

In regards to the school, right now there is not official talk of pulling Mary Lin kids into the new school but I can see it happening. ML has already had to put older grades in some trailers (though they built the NICEST covered walkway between them all).

On the one hand it's a good thing because it means the area is being populated with young families AND with young families willing to entrust their child's education in the public schools.

On the other, APS will need to respond quickly to the expansion (both in IP/CP/LC and in VaHi). However, because the area is relatively affluent and parents are very much in contact with their local politicians I think this is going to be okay.

I think they should just name it Howard Elementary...keep the historical ref.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:30 AM

426 posts, read 1,266,760 times
Yes, it is good news that there are more young families committing to public education. And I believe APS may have learned a lesson from all of the this... The new demographer for APS has said point blank that they are being very careful about plans for closing under-enrolled schools in other areas of the city for fear they face a similar problem as they now have with the neighborhoods served by Morningside. (Of course part of that problem is due to the fact that APS just put demographers on payroll. If they had real demographers in the past, perhaps this wouldn't be such an issue now.)

Old 07-10-2008, 12:38 PM

401 posts, read 1,573,177 times
Dont' be so sure - City Schools of Decatur has been hiring demographers for years. They never get it right. They have always way under-projected enrollment.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:04 PM

426 posts, read 1,266,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post
Dont' be so sure - City Schools of Decatur has been hiring demographers for years. They never get it right. They have always way under-projected enrollment.
At least it doesn't look like Decatur is selling any of their old schools to developers yet. Are they?

Old 07-10-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post
Yep, yep. Many people (outside of Decatur) may not know, but there is a major problem emerging. CSD closed all of these schools just a few years ago, and now the schools are overcrowded again.

Poor planning, poor forecasting. If only people had listened to us back in 2002-2003...

Old 07-10-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneuman View Post
I'm late on this thread, but I read in the Druid Hills newsletter that "Olmstead Elementary" is being considered as the name for the new school. I'm not sure of the decision-making progress though.
I like this name for the elementary school.

Olmstead Elementary.

Old 07-10-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Good lord, WHATEVER, mmann. Get over yourself.

In regards to the school, right now there is not official talk of pulling Mary Lin kids into the new school but I can see it happening. ML has already had to put older grades in some trailers (though they built the NICEST covered walkway between them all).

On the one hand it's a good thing because it means the area is being populated with young families AND with young families willing to entrust their child's education in the public schools.

On the other, APS will need to respond quickly to the expansion (both in IP/CP/LC and in VaHi). However, because the area is relatively affluent and parents are very much in contact with their local politicians I think this is going to be okay.

I think they should just name it Howard Elementary...keep the historical ref.
But the real Howard just relocated to Westside/West Midtown.

The new school needs to take even a little off of Mary Lin...since the new school is actually located in the northern end of Mary Lin's present district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or