U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-06-2008, 06:46 AM
 
60 posts, read 222,258 times
Reputation: 23

Advertisements

The zoning proposal for the new elementary school has been posted:

http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/content/news/hottopics/Morningside-lin.pdf (broken link)

along with a FAQ:

http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/content/news/hottopics/FAQMorningside-lin.pdf (broken link)

Basically, the breakdown by neighborhood is:

Morningside Elementary:
  • Morningside/Lenox Park
  • Piedmont Heights
  • Sherwood Forest
  • Ansley Park
  • Midtown (area north of 10th street)
New Elementary:
  • Midtown (area south of 10th street)
  • Virginia Highland
  • St. Charles/Greenwood
  • Druid Hills
  • Atkins Park
  • Poncey-Highland
Mary Lin Elementary:
  • Inman Park
  • Candler Park
  • Lake Claire
Public comment meeting will be on September 18th. That should be fun...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-06-2008, 10:25 AM
 
13,458 posts, read 21,939,367 times
Reputation: 4503
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothrat View Post
The zoning proposal for the new elementary school has been posted:

http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/content/news/hottopics/Morningside-lin.pdf (broken link)

along with a FAQ:

http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/content/news/hottopics/FAQMorningside-lin.pdf (broken link)

Basically, the breakdown by neighborhood is:

Morningside Elementary:
  • Morningside/Lenox Park
  • Piedmont Heights
  • Sherwood Forest
  • Ansley Park
  • Midtown (area north of 10th street)
New Elementary:
  • Midtown (area south of 10th street)
  • Virginia Highland
  • St. Charles/Greenwood
  • Druid Hills
  • Atkins Park
  • Poncey-Highland
Mary Lin Elementary:
  • Inman Park
  • Candler Park
  • Lake Claire
Public comment meeting will be on September 18th. That should be fun...

It seems like they did a pretty good job. I wish we had a visual map to go along with it, though.

Now, what are they going to name this elementary...

Proposals...

1. Springdale Elementary
2. Olmstead Elementary
3. Ponce De Leon Elementary (there was once an elementary in the City Schools of Decatur with this name...it is now the post office)

Other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 08:29 AM
 
60 posts, read 222,258 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
It seems like they did a pretty good job. I wish we had a visual map to go along with it, though.

Now, what are they going to name this elementary...

Proposals...

1. Springdale Elementary
2. Olmstead Elementary
3. Ponce De Leon Elementary (there was once an elementary in the City Schools of Decatur with this name...it is now the post office)

Other suggestions?
Any of those would work for me. As long as its not named after a politician...

Also, there are now maps of the three districts on the APS site.

New Morningside Map
New Lin Map
New School Map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 11:36 AM
 
13,458 posts, read 21,939,367 times
Reputation: 4503
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothrat View Post
Any of those would work for me. As long as its not named after a politician...

Also, there are now maps of the three districts on the APS site.

New Morningside Map
New Lin Map
New School Map

Thank you for map links. I actually think APS did a d*mn good job with this...

Unlike the Buckhead elementary situation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 11:41 AM
 
60 posts, read 222,258 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Thank you for map links. I actually think APS did a d*mn good job with this...

Unlike the Buckhead elementary situation...
I agree. I'm expecting craziness at the community meeting on Thursday, but I really don't see any alternatives that could viably be championed by opponents of this plan. Still, there may be a lot of sound and fury but this plan seems very likely to proceed as is. (IMHO).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2008, 03:01 PM
 
13,458 posts, read 21,939,367 times
Reputation: 4503
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothrat View Post
I agree. I'm expecting craziness at the community meeting on Thursday, but I really don't see any alternatives that could viably be championed by opponents of this plan. Still, there may be a lot of sound and fury but this plan seems very likely to proceed as is. (IMHO).
I think they did an awesome job with "neighborhood cohesiveness" and the districts are balanced/logical...considering where the schools are located, there are no areas that should be zoned for a different school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2008, 05:12 PM
 
14 posts, read 24,898 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
It seems like they did a pretty good job. I wish we had a visual map to go along with it, though.

Now, what are they going to name this elementary...

Proposals...

1. Springdale Elementary
2. Olmstead Elementary
3. Ponce De Leon Elementary (there was once an elementary in the City Schools of Decatur with this name...it is now the post office)

Other suggestions?
I rather like Olmstead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2008, 05:37 PM
 
34 posts, read 90,252 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

Unlike the Buckhead elementary situation...

What would that be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2008, 11:47 PM
 
13,458 posts, read 21,939,367 times
Reputation: 4503
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1978 View Post
What would that be?

The K-1 academies to relieve overcrowding at Smith, Jackson, and Brandon.


They could have just reopened Margaret Mitchell Elementary (to relieve Jackson and Brandon)...

and one of the sites to used for Jackson or Smith K-1 academies could be an elementary to relieve overcrowding at Smith and Jackson.


The academies are really not the best long-term solutions. An opportunity is being missed to establish cohesive communities around small, neighborhood K-5 schools.

See link below. Scroll down to "Northside Schools."

School Zone Changes and Closing for 2008-09 (http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/content/apsrezoning.aspx - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2008, 01:28 PM
 
13,458 posts, read 21,939,367 times
Reputation: 4503
Default Updated Zoning (October 2008)

The boundary for the new elementary school has been updated. More of Midtown has been rezoned to the new school (between 10th and 14th...this area was originally slated to remain at Morningside).

See link below (Click on "Revised Proposal", "Project Enrollment", "New Morningside Map", and "New School Map"):


Morningside-Lin-New School Rezoning Proposal (http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/content/Morningside_Lin_Rezoning.aspx - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:44 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top