U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-18-2008, 10:38 PM
 
13,611 posts, read 22,063,716 times
Reputation: 4623

Advertisements

A few people have mentioned that the often-talked-about new elementary school to relieve overcrowding at Morningside will be built where the Morningside Kindergarten Campus is now located (the old Howard School site on Ponce De Leon).

Is this true? Does anyone know any real facts about this?

I have more questions, but I'll ask them after I read some of the commentary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-19-2008, 06:37 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
45 posts, read 180,115 times
Reputation: 21
Yes, this is true. Our real estate agent has confirmed it for us, and it is scheduled to open fall 2009. That schedule seems a bit ambitious, but I know one of the architects working on it, and he says it is possible. it will allegedly draw from the Va. Highlands end of the current Morningside district, and some of the current Mary Lin district. There is some talk of "grandfathering" in current students at Morningside, but I don't know any details on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-20-2008, 01:40 AM
 
13,611 posts, read 22,063,716 times
Reputation: 4623
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentsto3 View Post
Yes, this is true. Our real estate agent has confirmed it for us, and it is scheduled to open fall 2009. That schedule seems a bit ambitious, but I know one of the architects working on it, and he says it is possible. it will allegedly draw from the Va. Highlands end of the current Morningside district, and some of the current Mary Lin district. There is some talk of "grandfathering" in current students at Morningside, but I don't know any details on that.
OK, how are they going to fit an elementary school on that site? I haven't examined the property too closely, maybe there is more land there than it seems.

Are there plans to include adjacent property?

They may be planning to build a City School of Decatur like elementary...multi-story, compact, and small (250-450 students). They were able to build the 3-story Tucker Middle School on a relatively small piece of land (innovative design, great school building!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2008, 12:46 PM
 
60 posts, read 222,705 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
OK, how are they going to fit an elementary school on that site? I haven't examined the property too closely, maybe there is more land there than it seems.

Are there plans to include adjacent property?

They may be planning to build a City School of Decatur like elementary...multi-story, compact, and small (250-450 students). They were able to build the 3-story Tucker Middle School on a relatively small piece of land (innovative design, great school building!).
Here's a PDF of the architectural drawings that show how the Howard school building will be converted into the new elementary school.

http://midtownatlanta.org/Files/Midt...architects.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2008, 04:52 PM
 
13,611 posts, read 22,063,716 times
Reputation: 4623
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothrat View Post
Here's a PDF of the architectural drawings that show how the Howard school building will be converted into the new elementary school.

http://midtownatlanta.org/Files/Midt...architects.pdf

Thank you for the link! So it will have three stories...it is somewhat similar to the new Tucker Middle School in downtown Tucker. Oh, and there is more land on the site than I thought (or they are acquiring the adjacent land).

I think this is a good move, and a good site. I hope they pick a good name.

Ponce De Leon Elementary? Springdale Elementary? I like these.

Maybe after one of the Olmstead Parks in front of the school on Ponce De Leon...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2008, 09:26 AM
 
401 posts, read 1,573,478 times
Reputation: 129
Default School name...

I know, how about Glenn Richardson Elementary after our esteemed and oh so intelligent Georgia House Speaker. His dedication to public education, ability to put the common good above his own ego and strong advocacy for child welfare in this state plus his ability to pull people together for a common goal should be recognized.




dripping with sarcasm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2008, 08:43 AM
 
13,611 posts, read 22,063,716 times
Reputation: 4623
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post
I know, how about Glenn Richardson Elementary after our esteemed and oh so intelligent Georgia House Speaker. His dedication to public education, ability to put the common good above his own ego and strong advocacy for child welfare in this state plus his ability to pull people together for a common goal should be recognized.




dripping with sarcasm

Here's a name that would go over well in those eastside Atlanta neighborhoods...

George W. Bush Elementary School
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2008, 08:54 AM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,127 posts, read 35,099,965 times
Reputation: 15343
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Here's a name that would go over well in those eastside Atlanta neighborhoods...

George W. Bush Elementary School
The school where a C+ = an A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2008, 03:44 PM
 
91 posts, read 306,885 times
Reputation: 50
Is there any subject where liberals dont turn it into a political attack on Bush?

I guess this post proved my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-23-2008, 04:06 PM
 
401 posts, read 1,573,478 times
Reputation: 129
Default political attacks

Well, MMANN - FYI, I'm a Republican and I still think Bush is an idiot and an embarrassment to the party. So is Richardson for that matter. Some public servants just seem to beg for political attacks - I'm always happy to oblige.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:09 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top