U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 04:33 PM

2,205 posts, read 4,312,548 times

Advertisements

Sorry, I think Sweat Mountain is off - if Sweat Mountain park is close to Sweat Mountain, that is. If you go to Google Maps and enter "sweat mountain park,marietta,ga" you can see it's southwest of where you have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 07:08 PM

8,712 posts, read 12,332,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Sorry, I think Sweat Mountain is off - if Sweat Mountain park is close to Sweat Mountain, that is. If you go to Google Maps and enter "sweat mountain park,marietta,ga" you can see it's southwest of where you have it.
No. See the kind of large blank white area without road/streets near the Cherokee line? That is Sweat Mountain. Trust me, Rainy.

Other info...

"East Marietta" is around the area where Terrell Mill Road, Lower Roswell Road, and Paper Mill Road meet.

Don't mean to work you, rc...just giving more info! The map is fantastic...and will be very informative and helpful for residents and newcomers.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No. See the kind of large blank white area without road/streets near the Cherokee line? That is Sweat Mountain. Trust me, Rainy.
Oh very sorry Aries, I do trust you but I checked as well. I was misled by an habitual tendency to think 92 runs straight East-West but as you are doubtless perfectly well aware, it does not at all.

I found this great Wikipedia article on Sweat Mountain Sweat Mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, which I now realize is that big hill (sorry, I'm from British Columbia, anything that's not snow-capped year 'round is a hill to me) with all the communications equipment on top. Wow, it's taller than Stone Mountain! And according to the article, the area around Sandy Plains and Shallowford just went from forest to houses and shopping in the 90s. It's hard to grasp how rapidly metro Atlanta expanded, even though I can see that development along 92 has filled in really a lot since we moved here in 2002.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:11 PM

8,712 posts, read 12,332,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Oh very sorry Aries, I do trust you but I checked as well. I was misled by an habitual tendency to think 92 runs straight East-West but as you are doubtless perfectly well aware, it does not at all.

I found this great Wikipedia article on Sweat Mountain Sweat Mountain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, which I now realize is that big hill (sorry, I'm from British Columbia, anything that's not snow-capped year 'round is a hill to me) with all the communications equipment on top. Wow, it's taller than Stone Mountain! And according to the article, the area around Sandy Plains and Shallowford just went from forest to houses and shopping in the 90s. It's hard to grasp how rapidly metro Atlanta expanded, even though I can see that development along 92 has filled in really a lot since we moved here in 2002.

It's funny how you thought Sweat Mountain was a big hill...you really are West Coast!

I remember when they were building Highland Pointe in the late 80's and early 90's.

Hwy 92 and Cherokee in general...you don't even know. In the 80's (and early 90's) to us East Cobbers...the Cherokee line was like the end of the earth.

More...the Highland Plaza/Sandy Plains Centre mega-commercial district...all woods until 1992!

We use to play in the woods where the Target is located. We would walk to the graveyard in the middle of the woods (Mount Beulah Cemetery...check it out).

There is so much I could tell you how East Cobb has changed since/as I was growing up.

The funny thing is that everyone really thought East Cobb was done in 1989. Nope...they still found more land. Something you will often hear from old and somewhat-old East Cobbers...:"They're building houses now where I didn't even know there was land!"

Old 04-25-2008, 07:10 AM

Aries, thanks for sharing those memories. Wow! So much change. I'll look out for the Mt Beulah cemetary.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:57 PM

32 posts, read 59,980 times
Default Why Cobb

Nice county, but if you have no jobs yet, you might consider others, like Forsyth which offer lower taxes, more greenspace, excellent NEW schools, and and and...

Let's start with the tax situation, check out THIS comparison.

Rob

Old 04-26-2008, 07:19 AM

7,744 posts, read 10,031,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccance View Post
Nice county, but if you have no jobs yet, you might consider others, like Forsyth which offer lower taxes, more greenspace, excellent NEW schools, and and and...

Rob
And join the other bazillion people sitting in single occupant cars on GA400 every rush hour.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:38 AM

32 posts, read 59,980 times
Oh and 285 is better?

Ok.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta