Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:57 PM

3 posts, read 20,527 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Atlanta from Texas. We will be driving to and from the airport a lot. We have no idea where to move. We will be needing schools. Would prefer a Christian school but public school is fine as well. We would like it to be a family oriented area that is safe and will stay that way. We would like to hear input on Newnan, Villa Rica, Roswell, and any other ideas of good places to live.

Thanks for any and all help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 04:15 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,932 times
I tend to think that Newnan is the best option. It's got a greater variety of retail, and it seems like a better environment, in my opinion. It's also got a nice historic downtown.

As far as private Christian schools, I'm not sure about that area. The public schools are not bad, especially if you are looking in the East Coweta or Northgate districts.

Villa Rica is a little less populated, but it's only about ten miles away from Douglasville, where it is a lot more populated. There's also Arbor Place Mall in Douglasville.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:15 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jananathan View Post
We are moving to Atlanta from Texas. We will be driving to and from the airport a lot. We have no idea where to move. We will be needing schools. Would prefer a Christian school but public school is fine as well. We would like it to be a family oriented area that is safe and will stay that way. We would like to hear input on Newnan, Villa Rica, Roswell, and any other ideas of good places to live.

Thanks for any and all help.
The options that you're throwing out there (Newnan, Villa Rica, Roswell) are pretty far-flung geographically...Villa Rica is way to the west of Atlanta, Newnan to the southwest and Roswell to the north?
Do you have a criteria as far as what you need to be close to?
Downtown?
Airport?
Work?
That would guide my choices...BTW, the Greater Atlanta Christian School (in Norcross/Gwinnett Co.) is terrific and is close to the very good suburbs of Duluth, Suwanee and Buford.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:41 AM

We both fly for Delta so we will be going to and from the airport a lot. I know that our areas are all over the place but, we just don't know what side of town to live on. We figured that if we live on the North side, we could just take Marta in. I like the small town feel but I also like to have shops, malls etc. We found a house that I like in Newnan as well as in Villa Rica. The one in Villa Rica is on the lake, which is also nice, I just don't know about the town. I don't know anything about Roswell or any other areas to the North or East. So confusing to move to a new place. Please keep your comments coming. Thank you so much for all of your help.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:18 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jananathan View Post
We both fly for Delta so we will be going to and from the airport a lot. I know that our areas are all over the place but, we just don't know what side of town to live on. We figured that if we live on the North side, we could just take Marta in. I like the small town feel but I also like to have shops, malls etc. We found a house that I like in Newnan as well as in Villa Rica. The one in Villa Rica is on the lake, which is also nice, I just don't know about the town. I don't know anything about Roswell or any other areas to the North or East. So confusing to move to a new place. Please keep your comments coming. Thank you so much for all of your help.
A lot of airport employees choose the south side suburbs for proximity; Newnan and Peachtree City would be your best choices there.
However, there are Delta employees all over town, and they do utilize the MARTA line quite often.
Roswell is very nice, and has good schools...however, it's not close to the airport, and the MARTA does not run all the way out there.
Honestly, your options are too numerous to name here...if you're drawn to Villa Rica, it sounds like you're to a more 'countrified' locale. True?

Old 04-22-2008, 12:07 PM

201 posts, read 1,070,638 times
There are a ton of airline employees in Peachtree City, Sharpsburg, and Newnan. If you stay in Coweta County, I would make sure you are in the Canongate/Madras/Northgate catchment. If you are looking for a small town feel, I would suggest Sharpsburg as you will only have to travel a few minutes to shopping in Newnan and PTC.

Christian schools in the area: Heritage, Landmark, Trinity, as well as many other smaller schools.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:14 PM

913 posts, read 2,985,012 times
Newnan for sure.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:03 PM

Thank you. It does sound like Roswell will be too far away. Thank you for all of your advice. I can't wait to look around. If anyone else has anything to offer, please feel free to add on to this.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:00 PM

57 posts, read 263,053 times
Default Newnan

I hear a lot of airline employees live in Newnan, and the shopping is better there. I live in Villa Rica, and it's pretty nice in my subdivision (Mirror Lake), but the commute to the airport would be a good 35-40 minutes with minimal traffic.

That said, we tend to go to Douglasville if we want to eat close to home (10-15 min), or downtown ATL (25-30 min). Newnan has nicer stores, an actual B&N bookstore, Panera bread, etc. that will make shopping easier. If I didn't have geographic restraints due to work, I'd strongly consider Newnan.

My $0.02.

MLM

Old 04-29-2008, 12:05 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,259,583 times
My neighbor across the street flies for Airtran. We live two streets in front of a MARTA station and if he has to drive in it's not a bad drive. But it's a city neighborhood, though one with a very family feel. It's called Candler Park (zip 30307 - also for Inman Park and Lake Claire - same type of neighborhood, same schools).

I can't say about Christian schools, though they abound. I can tell you the public school is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta