Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 12:00 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,379,788 times

Advertisements

Longtime Vine City resident Alma Lott has lost several neighbors. They had to move because they could no longer afford to live on the quiet south Atlanta street they’d called home for decades.

Speaking from a house she pays $1,000 each month to rent, Lott welcomed the news that the city is working to control rents that have spiraled higher in recent years. Lott said she wants to move, but it all comes back to the same problem: “There’s no (rent) stabilization in our community...”

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/atlan...KaaCP5WvNgG8K/

SOURCE: AJC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2020, 12:05 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,119,427 times
Landlords in Sandy Springs, Brookhaven, Decatur, and North Druid Hills rejoice.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:12 PM

11,794 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Not trying to be that guy but $1,000 a month is not alot of money for a rental house, even an apartment.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:36 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Rent control is an extreme solution. But I don't blame people for wanting it. Year after year there is less and less affordable housing, and one has to wonder whether the market can be trusted to provide the solution.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 807 times
[url]https://www.brookings.edu/research/what-does-economic-evidence-tell-us-about-the-effects-of-rent-control/?fbclid=IwAR2Hlf8iSoF3Rhah6gKVfkErdvJZMyUWEhrZ0XDj 2l7LNqbln5pETqNzls8[/url]

Good read

Old 02-10-2020, 02:34 PM

38 posts, read 26,789 times
Or maybe Atlanta needs to except it is now at the same level of DC of expensive Tier 1 metros? I mean you guys want this city to grow for the sake of its economy (which overly dependent on constant population growth and the development sector rather than sustaining and evolution like most other Tier 1 metros are moving towards). Maybe you should instead be pushing to legislators to create a level of wage and an area median income standard to base what the housing costs should be for those who would qualify for housing vouchers?

The out of whack cost of living with the over-zealously stagnant regional salaries in most career fields has ran away a lot of people particularly families in the past 5 years from Metro Atlanta. Myself included in that bunch because I want to afford home in a walkable, racially diverse, transit friendly area with plenty of black professionals and entrepreneurs that doesn't cost over a half a million dollars for a house that really is only worth $250K in real world market terms.

Old 02-10-2020, 02:59 PM

11,794 posts, read 8,002,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da-planner View Post
Or maybe Atlanta needs to except it is now at the same level of DC of expensive Tier 1 metros? I mean you guys want this city to grow for the sake of its economy (which overly dependent on constant population growth and the development sector rather than sustaining and evolution like most other Tier 1 metros are moving towards). Maybe you should instead be pushing to legislators to create a level of wage and an area median income standard to base what the housing costs should be for those who would qualify for housing vouchers?

The out of whack cost of living with the over-zealously stagnant regional salaries in most career fields has ran away a lot of people particularly families in the past 5 years from Metro Atlanta. Myself included in that bunch because I want to afford home in a walkable, racially diverse, transit friendly area with plenty of black professionals and entrepreneurs that doesn't cost over a half a million dollars for a house that really is only worth $250K in real world market terms.
Can I kindly ask where you'll find that anywhere in America?

Old 02-10-2020, 03:09 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Can I kindly ask where you'll find that anywhere in America?
And I’m assuming “racially diverse” doesn’t mean just black? In reality it should reflect many different ethnic groups and backgrounds.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:43 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Rent control is an extreme solution. But I don't blame people for wanting it. Year after year there is less and less affordable housing, and one has to wonder whether the market can be trusted to provide the solution.
No, they (developers) cannot be trusted to come up with a solution on their own. Why would they? Their goal is to make money and not be charitable.

The only option is to force their hand with the collective will of the government.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:54 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
And I’m assuming “racially diverse” doesn’t mean just black? In reality it should reflect many different ethnic groups and backgrounds.
You have this in the northern suburbs which are very racially diverse. Congressional Districts 6 & 7. Especially 7 when you start breaking it down by race.

https://www.census.gov/mycd/?st=13&cd=07
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta