Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:22 PM

6 posts, read 30,083 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm looking for a good intown grade school that offers Chinese (Mandarin) language instruction and even other courses taught in Mandarin. I don't mind if it's a public, charter, or private school as long as it's good.

I've done a few searches on this topic but haven't found anything helpful. Most of the schools I've seen in the forums are in the suburbs.

My partner and I are looking to move to Georgia in the next few months and want our future children to be able to have Chinese language instruction in more than just weekend classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 08:50 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,331 times
The new Imagine Wesley charter school in south Atlanta (Grant Park area) teaches Mandarin.

Imagine Wesley

Old 04-25-2008, 10:07 AM

6 posts, read 30,083 times
Thanks! I'll go check that out.

I don't remember if I read it here or not, but doesn't AIS have a Mandarin program? If so, does anyone have any experience with it?

The same goes for Imagine Wesley. Anyone with children or friends' children that go there?

Old 04-25-2008, 10:54 AM

426 posts, read 1,445,814 times
Toomer Elementary in Kirkwood teaches Mandarin. Toomer is the feeder elementary school for Coan Middle which houses the only Confucius Institute in the southeast US. Here are some websites with info about Toomer and the institute:

Toomer Elementary School - Chinese sponsored center (http://toomerelementary.com/chinesecenter.html - broken link)

Creative Loafing Atlanta | News & Views | Kirkwood speaks the language of learning

Beyond Mandarin, Toomer has made great strides academically over the past few years. You can check out their test scores at greatschools.com. And the school was featured in a recent article in Atlanta Magazine, Atlanta Magazine :: April 2008 :: Resegregation

You can tell I have a bias toward Toomer and Kirkwood, but I do have a friend whose daughter is at Wesley Imagine and another friend who is an art teacher there. By all accounts things are going well there, despite a few early misteps (as you would expect from a brand new school). The biggest complaint is the actual physical space (it is in an old church). But they are building like crazy, so that should change soon.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:18 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Imagine Wesley is brand new, it only opened this year. Last summer, there was someone who was coming to work at the school on board, but I imagine they are long gone.

AIS doesn't have chinese. There are some public schools around that offer it, but not as immersion.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:13 PM

200 posts, read 983,137 times
Default Looking For intown Chinese schools

Our daughter is at Atlanta International School (AIS). She's in Middle School and is studying Mandarin Chinese (second year)

Currently, Mandarin Chinese and Latin are offered at AIS starting in 6th grade (in addition to French, German, and Spanish).

Old 04-26-2008, 05:01 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
thanks for clearing that up --when I went to the AIS website, I must have only been looking at the elementary school part.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:23 PM

39 posts, read 245,848 times
Seems a lot of the schools are definitely going to be offering Mandarin in high school (if they are not already). I would love for my son to study Mandarin. My father goes to China a good bit for business, and he said: "if you know Mandarin- then you are golden."

We toured Westminster- I want to say they offer it in the high school? Maybe it is in junior high, too. I *think* I recall her saying right now it is in the high school but in just a few years, we will certainly see it trickle down to the younger grades. From touring the 5 private schools we did this year, I saw a common theme. It seems French is becoming less and less popular and so the schools are all looking to add Chinese. The only school that said they may not was Holy Innocents' - they said it is "just too expensive, like you know" - yes, that is exactly what she said on the tour!

Last edited by FunnyMomof2; 04-26-2008 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: punctuation correction

Old 05-06-2008, 08:44 AM

2 posts, read 9,078 times
Default Chinese

Our daughter goes to Imagine Wesley International Academy (charter school south of Grant Park). They teach Mandarin daily (45 Min). She loves it.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:31 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
The Lovett School starts Chinese at grade 7 through high school.

Lovett: Upper School academics (http://www.lovett.org/cgi-bin/MySQLdb?VIEW=/upper/viewonedept.txt&deptid=29 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta