Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2008, 09:01 PM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times

Advertisements

We just had a home inspection on a hardcoat stucco home and just got the report back. Overall the stucco is in good shape except it needs to be caulked with the Dow Corning or equivalent. It was never done. Also Raintek diverter flashing needs to be installed in several locations to divert water and keep it from running off. Where the water is running off at the front stoop the inspector noticed some minor water staining on the subfloor. He sees no evidence of it being more than that. So not a problem. There is also some minor wood rot in some areas. There is pink sheathing behind the hardcoat that everyone tells us is fine and doesn't extend below the ground. Termite inspector says it does extend below the ground and says there is an excellent system in place and no evidence now or prior evidence of termites.

All of this is expensive but the Sellers are willing to pay for it all to have it done. They want to sell the house. We've had contractors from Moisture Free look at everything and they said everything is fine and just needs this maintenance. My agent, home inspector and stucco inspector says everything is fine and still will be fine once this is all done as well.

Stucco isn't all that popular here in our area of NC. It is considered the devil here because of all the stucco problems originated here at the coast but not our area..

My husband is just worried that since it was never caulked or flashed that there could be some underlying problems that no one is aware of.

Does anyone here have a hardcoat home? What are your thoughts? Are any of the items listed above red flags? Anyone else have any input?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 09:22 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
As it is hard coat, I'm guessing the general consensus will say it's ok, see:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-consider.html

Old 04-24-2008, 10:01 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
We bought a hard coat stucco home two years ago after going through a similar process with similar results - my husband fretted about it as well! You have done your homework and should feel confident. Keep up with your termite bond and all should be well.

The only thing that we really hated about the process is that we never have found a stucco contractor who we really felt like we could trust. I think the entire stucco repair market is ripe for shoddy contractors and fraud since there has been so much strife in the past.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:09 PM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
We bought a hard coat stucco home two years ago after going through a similar process with similar results - my husband fretted about it as well! You have done your homework and should feel confident. Keep up with your termite bond and all should be well.

The only thing that we really hated about the process is that we never have found a stucco contractor who we really felt like we could trust. I think the entire stucco repair market is ripe for shoddy contractors and fraud since there has been so much strife in the past.
Did you have your stucco cut? The Sellers will do everything which is pretty costly except cut the stucco. They say it's not necessary because it's hardcoat and their termite bond will transer to us.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:18 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
We have not done it yet as we were told the same thing by the seller - not necessary and the termite bond is up to date and clean. We are going to have it done though. For one reason, we want to update the look of the house somewhat and are redoing the entrance way with brick. We have decided to do the cut and seal all around the foundation and brick part way up. This is where the trouble finding a reputable stucco guy come in.

Though we don't think the cut and seal is really necessary, we do think it will help the future resale and if we can wrap it into a cosmetic project that we want to do anyway, it makes more sense.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:31 AM

66 posts, read 432,324 times
I know an excellent stucco guy. If anybody wants his information, please send me a DM.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 12,639 times
If the sellers are willing to have the service (foundation cutting) done at their cost then by all means have them do it. The reality is termites require a very small opening to gain entry. Besides having the issue with foam running to the ground there is also the issue of the lathe. If it extends below also there very well may be a chance they have already gained entry. Another contributing factor to termites versus stucco is the framing itself. If the plate, the framing that makes direct contact with the foundation/slab, is below grade you may have water intrusion in addition to the termites. Using a "durock" solution easily remedies this.

As far as the lack of flashing and sealants, the sealants themselves are an easy remedy. Use only Dow 795(silicone) or Np1 (polyurethane-paintable) around the perimeter of every penetration (doors/windows/utilities) where stucco butts to a disimilar material.

Water diverters (aka kickouts) must be put in. 80% of the damage I see is due to the lack of these. The tell tale sign that the diverter is missing or not properly functioning is a visible water stain below gutter/wall junctions.

The drip edge flashing above your doors and windows can go either way. If the home is 8+ years old then water intrusion will be noticable on the exterior very soon after occurance. Check the brickmolds of the windows. The area where the brickmolds butt to the sill are most prone. If it looks suspect, poke it. If the home doesn't exhibit wood rot on the exterior trim then chances are just applying the sealants is preventitve enough as retrofitting drip edge is a costly endeavor.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:33 AM

1 posts, read 11,803 times
I am considering purchasing my first stucco home. Does anyone have a referral for an excellent inspector in the Atlanta area? What is the average cost for these inspections?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta