U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 05:41 PM

13 posts, read 54,494 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. My wife and I are considering a move from Orlando to Atlanta perhaps by next summer. After three years in Florida we both decided that the tri-fecta of high real estate prices, high taxes, and low salaries is forcing us to leave. Besides, we don't really like here much. I'm originally from Connecticut and Atlanta reminds me a lot of my old home. I miss the mountains, hills, trees, and change of seasons but not the snow. My wife is originally from Miami and she hates it there. She lived in Atlanta for four years until I lured her to Orlando after we got married. She has yet to forgive me. She desperately wants to return to Atlanta. We are looking into Cherokee County and possibly Cobb. My wife lived in Gwinnett and we've ruled it out. I'm intersted in getting some insight from anyone living in NW Atlanta about housing, schools, culture, etc... Also, I would especially like to hear from someone who is Latino who could tell me about the "Hispanic Experience" in Atlanta. I am Puerto Rican and my wife is Cuban.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2006, 03:14 PM

60 posts, read 49,868 times
Although the majority of latinos in the Atlanta area are Mexican, there's still a thriving, diverse latino population. There are many different restaurants including Brazilian, Dominican, Cuban, Peruvian, Colombian, etc. There's also a lot cultural activities from trendy nightclubs to traditional folkloric music of the region. Delta Airlines (and we Atlantans are praying for its survival) has really begun to make Latin America its focus for growth, so now there are daily non-stops to almost every part of Latin America. Atlanta doesn't have the Latino Caribbean population of most East Coast cities like NY, Boston, and all of Florida, but compared to the rest of the country, I'd figure Atlanta to be one of the fastest growing cities in terms Cuban, Puerto Rican and Domican growth.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:51 PM

Default Exodus from Florida

I think you're right about growth coming from the Puerto Rican, Cuban, and Dominican communities. I know of many that are leaving Orlando and South Florida. Many moving to the Atlanta area. There is an growing exodus, is you will, of Latinos leaving the Orlando area. Many, like me, have only been here a short time but have quickly become disillusioned with the high standard of living. Having grown up in Connecticut which has a large Puerto Rican and Latino population and now Florida, I am used to having 'mi gente' my people around. I guess that is one aspect of moving to Atlanta that I am somewhat concerned about - that I would not be able to experience my culture the way that I am used to. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply to my posting.

Old 12-27-2006, 06:55 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,043,808 times
My daughter is Latina and lived in Jonesboro (south side) for a brief period. I have to say, the Latino community is rather small. But I'm encouraged by the slow but steady growth.

One thing you'll have to contend with--especially in Cherokee County--is the prejudice toward anyone who even looks like they're Mexican. Doesn't matter if you're a third generation American; people assume you're an "illegal alien" until you prove otherwise. Puertoriqueno, Cubano, Nicaraguense? Not enough people understand the difference. It's all just "Mexican" to a lot of folks. My daughter--who's mother is Puerto Rican--experienced this and decided it was too much trouble and moved.

Have you considered Gwinnett County? It's much more diverse, and the Latino population is growing.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:49 AM

985 posts, read 5,295,588 times
Cherokee County is one of fewest places in US passed "English only" law, "Fine landlord if they rent to illegal immigration" law. On the surface, those laws are trying to solve illegal immigration problems, but it also created bad atomsphere against Hispanic in general. Due to large hispanic migration workers there, I agree with BackFist, you will have to prove you are not "illegal". My guess is that a lot of Hispanics, legal or not illegal, will move out of Cherokee county.

Old 12-27-2006, 05:56 PM

Thanks to each of you for your input. I really appreciate your taking the time to respond to my inquiries. You've given us quite a bit to think about. I'm not sure I want to go someplace where I have to prove that I'm not illegal. I participated in enough anti-English Only demonstrations to know that racism and discrimination are at the core despite how well-intentioned some might want to present the issue. Given the increasing size of the Latino community in Atlanta, are there other places besides Gwinnet where the Latino community has a stronger presence?

Old 12-28-2006, 12:47 AM

81 posts, read 245,532 times
I'd like to know something about McDonough in Henry and Fayetteville in Fayette. Which city is best for a single retiree over 40? I've been told Smyrna has it all. It is also close to anything good in Atl. But doesn't it have more crime than these othe places? I want movies, restaurants and the arts . But, am I risking limb and life in Smyrna?

Old 12-28-2006, 12:58 AM

81 posts, read 245,532 times
Is Charlotte the next Atlanta? I see many posts about Charlotte and few about Atl. People seem to be moving there in droves. I grew up in Miami and I know ten people who moved to Charlotte. Is Charlotte that much better than crowded Atlanta? I see still unspoiled suburbs in the Atlanta area. I had planned to move to an Atlanta suburb. Maybe I need to consider Charlotte,too. Will the migration make Charlotte Atlanta's twin city?

Old 12-28-2006, 06:46 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,043,808 times
Hey Marjorie~

First things first: how does someone in their 40s go about becoming a retiree (in this day and age)?

Yes, Charlotte is fast becoming the next "Atlanta" in terms of population growth exceeding the limits of infrastructure. Couple that with equally poor planning and a lack of any meaningful public transit, and it'll be Atlanta North in no-time.

But one area where Charlotte can't match Atlanta, and that's in jobs. Jobs are more plentiful here and they pay better. I also considered Charlotte as a place for relocation, but the salaries were just too low for the ever-increasing cost of living. And with suburban Charlotteans becoming increasingly willing to over-spend for their housing in order to discourage "affordability", I figured that metro Atlanta was the better place to work and live.

Old 12-28-2006, 04:23 PM

465 posts, read 2,248,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneangel View Post
Hey everyone. My wife and I are considering a move from Orlando to Atlanta perhaps by next summer. After three years in Florida we both decided that the tri-fecta of high real estate prices, high taxes, and low salaries is forcing us to leave. Besides, we don't really like here much. I'm originally from Connecticut and Atlanta reminds me a lot of my old home. I miss the mountains, hills, trees, and change of seasons but not the snow. My wife is originally from Miami and she hates it there. She lived in Atlanta for four years until I lured her to Orlando after we got married. She has yet to forgive me. She desperately wants to return to Atlanta. We are looking into Cherokee County and possibly Cobb. My wife lived in Gwinnett and we've ruled it out. I'm intersted in getting some insight from anyone living in NW Atlanta about housing, schools, culture, etc... Also, I would especially like to hear from someone who is Latino who could tell me about the "Hispanic Experience" in Atlanta. I am Puerto Rican and my wife is Cuban.
I'm curious about two things: Why you've ruled out Gwinnett County, and why are you so interested in a nowhere place like Cherokee County? First off, as hispanics, Gwinnett is exactly where I would be looking because it is the most diverse county in Atlanta area. I don't know what part of Gwinnett your wife lived in, but it is quite thriving, and has some of the best schools here and good real estate opportunities. If she lived anywhere below Pleasant Hill Rd., maybe I could understand her grief about Gwinnett, otherwise, I'm a little puzzled. I lived in Lawrenceville last year and loved it.

Cherokee County in up 75North past Kennesaw. I currently live in Cobb County, in an area called Vinings, near Smyrna. If you are looking at Cobb County for schools, stick with East Cobb for the most part, with some Kennesaw schools being pretty good. I don't know how close you want to be to the city, but Cherokee won't put you there. If you need to come into Atlanta for work, forget about it. I go to school every morning in Cherokee County, and traffic is a nightmare coming down into Atlanta. There are Hispanics in Cobb, but not the nice areas. Cherokee is not super diverse either, although there are some hispanics up there.

If you have to live on that side of town, I would consider Kennesaw, East Cobb, parts of Smyrna or Vinings, depending on how much money you want to spend, with East Cobb and Vinings being the most expensive of the places that I mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or