Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2020, 05:15 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times

Advertisements

Watching HLN this morning and they played a long edited bodycam/dashcam segment of the Brooks incident, from the original contact when he was asleep/passed out and asked to move, asked to move again, asked where he was (and his answer Forest Park along with “nope”), then the breathalyzer and Brooks fighting with officers, running and firing the taser. Then a comment that the DA might have rushed to lay charges.

That this came from CNN speaks volumes about how the narrative might be shifting.

Old 06-20-2020, 05:17 AM

654 posts, read 526,605 times
I'm pretty sure in Georgia you can change to a lesser charge at any point during trial. No need to file new charges or anything. There are categories of charges that can be switched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Saw on the news that police chief said 9 officers had taken early retirement as of June 1. Said they didn't have more recent numbers. I'm guessing they don't want to know those numbers so they can continue to say that.
And then in snowballs. The more officers that leave, more stress on the others. Even if they hadn't left already because of the charges, you can only work 12 days for so long.......

Suburban pds looking incredibly attractive right now.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:24 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
I'm pretty sure in Georgia you can change to a lesser charge at any point during trial. No need to file new charges or anything. There are categories of charges that can be switched.

And then in snowballs. The more officers that leave, more stress on the others. Even if they hadn't left already because of the charges, you can only work 12 days for so long.......

Suburban pds looking incredibly attractive right now.
There's only but so many suburban pd positions though. Areas with lower crime don't need as much police officers and they can be a lot more picky in who they choose.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:18 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coventry80 View Post
Baltimore and St Louis weren't so cut and dry as you think despite the rush to judgment in Baltimore and the grandstanding by the local DA.

The Atlanta DA announced Felony Murder charges against this cop named Rolfe? DA is playing race politics and playing to mob. These charges will have to be reduced significantly to even try to get a conviction.
St. Louis was totally cut and dry. "Hands up, don't shoot" was a bald-faced lie. Baltimore was not cut and dry. Had they not overcharged, I think there was a good chance to get a conviction against the driver of the vehicle at least. They were trying to rough up the guy. With the tasering here, they did not overcharge. They simply used assault, although charging the 4 who didn't use the taser seems capricious. Remains to be seen if they get convictions, but its the right charge. IMO, the charge on the Brooks shooting is total nonsense and there should be no charges at all from what is known.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:55 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,695,422 times
Coweta County has gone public to actively recruit APD officers who have either walked off the job or are protesting because of the outrage people have expressed about their systemic abuse of power.

https://times-herald.com/news/2020/0...pply-in-coweta

I'm going to keep my opinion about this to myself, but most of you probably know my thoughts.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:57 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,351,666 times
This isn’t protesting this is terrorism.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...HRPJQLS24V3QY/

Old 06-21-2020, 11:52 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
https://www.11alive.com/article/news...6-9dac0a3ee94d

Coincidence? The woman alleged to have burned the Wendy’s has the same name as the woman Brooks named as his girlfriend?

And why would he be out drinking with a girlfriend? Especially when it was his daughter’s birthday?

Why did his widow say:

"He was a great father, a great husband. He believed in peace, he believed in love," Miller said. "He was a beautiful spirit. He was a fighter. He loved his family. He wanted to be home with us. He wanted to make it home to us."

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...IE5OWUYJUH5AA/

Maybe I have an outdated view of things but the last thing my wife would say if I was out drinking with another woman was that I was a “great husband”.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:28 PM

11,775 posts, read 7,989,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
https://www.11alive.com/article/news...6-9dac0a3ee94d

Coincidence? The woman alleged to have burned the Wendy’s has the same name as the woman Brooks named as his girlfriend?

And why would he be out drinking with a girlfriend? Especially when it was his daughter’s birthday?

Why did his widow say:

"He was a great father, a great husband. He believed in peace, he believed in love," Miller said. "He was a beautiful spirit. He was a fighter. He loved his family. He wanted to be home with us. He wanted to make it home to us."

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atl...IE5OWUYJUH5AA/

Maybe I have an outdated view of things but the last thing my wife would say if I was out drinking with another woman was that I was a “great husband”.
I have two opinions on the matter.

I personally believe if she were truly upset over the matter, no media source could make her say otherwise. Unfortunately there are cases where partners knowingly stay in abusive relationships and I kind of doubt with the kind of record this man had that his actions would have remained under the wraps for a long time. More than likely she has known of these things for some time but continued to stay in the relationship in some how hoping to gain his respect or that things would change.

Not saying I agree with all this but I do know of marriages where one partner knows the other is doing things behind their back but choose not to leave and even treat them as if they were the most important thing in life.

The other opinion is media bias, painting him in a light of something that he wasnt or isnt in effort to support a narrative. One that is partially true but in this aspect is being recklessly pushed which may in turn jeopardize the safety of others.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:38 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,351,666 times
Doug Collins again calls for independent DA for Rayshard Brooks case.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...bJ4r6XW0POu9N/

Quote:
His remarks about Howard drew loud cheers from the law enforcement officers at the rally, several of whom were in uniform

Old 06-21-2020, 12:59 PM

14 posts, read 10,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Doug Collins again calls for independent DA for Rayshard Brooks case.
How unusual is it for a DA not to convene a Grand Jury for a murder case?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta